Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

3.8 whipple

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
I built a 411 using my stock block ( mistake) nothing wrong with my stock bottom end an should of moth balled. should of started with new block,
installed 3.0 whipple an running 3.25 top an 10% lower an makes 19 lbs. had traction problems but still ran 153 trap speed. once traction sorted should be in the 8s. car picked up 5.5 mph going to the whipple from stock 2.4
Thats a solid gain. On the last run before my Whipple 4.5 blew up I went 143 but that was on a pump gas tune, Mike at OST turned it up as I was running a 50/50 93 Octane and Q16 mix, but unfortunately, the blower went before I could try that tune-up. I'll be going the new block route and keep the stock shortblock saran wrapped somewhere.

Interesting idea but at this point I think speculation is all I have to offer. The 3.8 is certainty capable of launching those internals into the ballistic diaper you’ll want to be using for experiment. The question is…. How much can you slow the monster down to work with the limits of the stock motor and have the blower still be efficient? I don’t know. I just saw that Whipple said they are targeting end of August for the production 3.8. I didn’t see the word guarantee with that so….. 😒. Whipple has stated the the 3.8 is for a increased displacement engine built to make power. I don’t know if you can believe it’s going Primetime in August but I think you should believe that it’s not for the stocker. The 3.0 is a spectacularly good blower. It’s been updated from its first release and is super efficient and reliable at this point. I don’t know what the retail price will be when the production 3.8 comes out but unless the stroker you are planning on includes heads and the high end internals you need to turn it up to full potential to get your money’s worth, the 3.0 would be the better choice.
I agree that I will probably be outside of the efficiency range. I got one of the billet pre-production units, which will be here Friday. I was going to go with the 3.0 but got talked out of it by a friend of mine that picked up a billet 3.8 hellcat pre-production blower but won't have his car ready this year. I ended up paying the same for that as I would have for a 3.0 for the billet 3.8 with race intercooler.

Stroker is going to be all the bad ass internals, Thitek heads, cam, etc etc, and the car will get a TH400 with a brake at the same time. I just need to figure out how to run the 3.8 this year while keeping the car alive. It should be a decent upgrade over the Whipple 4.5 it previously had on it regardless.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thats a solid gain. On the last run before my Whipple 4.5 blew up I went 143 but that was on a pump gas tune, Mike at OST turned it up as I was running a 50/50 93 Octane and Q16 mix, but unfortunately, the blower went before I could try that tune-up. I'll be going the new block route and keep the stock shortblock saran wrapped somewhere.

I agree that I will probably be outside of the efficiency range. I got one of the billet pre-production units, which will be here Friday. I was going to go with the 3.0 but got talked out of it by a friend of mine that picked up a billet 3.8 hellcat pre-production blower but won't have his car ready this year. I ended up paying the same for that as I would have for a 3.0 for the billet 3.8 with race intercooler.

Stroker is going to be all the bad ass internals, Thitek heads, cam, etc etc, and the car will get a TH400 with a brake at the same time. I just need to figure out how to run the 3.8 this year while keeping the car alive. It should be a decent upgrade over the Whipple 4.5 it previously had on it regardless.
That all sounds like a plan 👍🏼 Congrats on getting the good one. I don’t know what to suggest for a pulley to start. 4.0 at least. Watch the boost on the dyno and plan on keeping it where you want with another pulley if necessary. Also be content to keep the rpm down to be safe while you look forward to turning it up.

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
That all sounds like a plan 👍🏼 Congrats on getting the good one. I don’t know what to suggest for a pulley to start. 4.0 at least. Watch the boost on the dyno and plan on keeping it where you want with another pulley if necessary. Also be content to keep the rpm down to be safe while you look forward to turning it up.
You bet, that's pretty much the plan. I'll keep everyone updated on how it works out.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Something to put away for when the time comes you are using the T400. We’re finding out that our 3.8 isn’t liking the 2-step when using with the trans brake. Problem is (the way the bypass works) you are building boost while on the brake at the starting line. So… we have the limiter set at 1500rpm. That gives it the pop pop pop sound at line. Sounds cool but… it’s hammering the rotors. Raising the limiter would alleviate that, but leaving at 20 lbs of boost….. 😳. It’s hard enough to get off the line as it is. We’re working on how to deal with this. We have the 3.8 we ran at Vegas going back to Whipple for inspection now. Lol this shit ain’t easy

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Something to put away for when the time comes you are using the T400. We’re finding out that our 3.8 isn’t liking the 2-step when using with the trans brake. Problem is (the way the bypass works) you are building boost while on the brake at the starting line. So… we have the limiter set at 1500rpm. That gives it the pop pop pop sound at line. Sounds cool but… it’s hammering the rotors. Raising the limiter would alleviate that, but leaving at 20 lbs of boost….. 😳. It’s hard enough to get off the line as it is. We’re working on how to deal with this. We have the 3.8 we ran at Vegas going back to Whipple for inspection now. Lol this shit ain’t easy
That is definitely good to know, let me know if you get it sorted and hopefully you didn't hurt the blower.

It's definitely not easy, especially being one of the first to do things. The most basic shit that I still don't know just because nobody has done it before is making me feel like a noob. Only way is going to be trial and error until these things get in more peoples hands.

On yours are you using the stock hellcat bypass or the mechanical one?

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
That is definitely good to know, let me know if you get it sorted and hopefully you didn't hurt the blower.

It's definitely not easy, especially being one of the first to do things. The most basic shit that I still don't know just because nobody has done it before is making me feel like a noob. Only way is going to be trial and error until these things get in more peoples hands.
On yours are you using the stock hellcat bypass or the mechanical one?
Mechanical. We have the Holley Dominator controlling everything. It will operate a electronic throttle body (we’ll be going back to that with the 130mm) but not the factory bypass. It looks like there’s some damage. This is just real world R&D we’re doing for them at this point and that’s how stuff ends up working for everybody else. We’re looking at possible ways to modify the mechanical bypass to control boost on the 2-step. We’ve been 2-Stepping the 3.0 for some time now without any issues but the 3.8 isn’t that.

Last edited:

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Mechanical. We have the Holley Dominator controlling everything. It will operate a electronic throttle body (we’ll be going back to that with the 130mm) but not the factory bypass. It looks like there’s some damage. This is just real world R&D we’re doing for them at this point and that’s how stuff ends up working for everybody else. We’re looking at possible ways to modify the mechanical bypass to control boost on the 2-step. We’ve been 2-Stepping the 3.0 for some time now without any issues but the 3.8 isn’t that.
Interesting, weird that it would work with the 3.0 and not the 3.8. I'm thinking of going to a Dominator when I do the stroker build. My 3.8 has the factory bypass on it, which makes me tempted to try a TH400 on a 2 step with the brake to see if it reacts differently with the factory computer/bypass valve as opposed to the mechanical one.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Athens
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Challenger Redeye
Curious as to how the 3.8 whipples ended up working out for everyone? In the process of doing a 426 build and was thinking of going with the Gen 6 Whipple 3.8.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Curious as to how the 3.8 whipples ended up working out for everyone? In the process of doing a 426 build and was thinking of going with the Gen 6 Whipple 3.8.
I went through 5 of them in 18 months. Last Gen 6 3.8 lasted 120 miles, was replaced under warranty again, and I sold it upon receipt. I believe they’re working on a new variety with five support points instead of three. I would try that one, but not any of the others. My .02

Member ID
Reactions
City
Athens
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
I went through 5 of them in 18 months. Last Gen 6 3.8 lasted 120 miles, was replaced under warranty again, and I sold it upon receipt. I believe they’re working on a new variety with five support points instead of three. I would try that one, but not any of the others. My .02[/QUOT

Sounds good. Ill make sure to ask that question. Thanks for the input.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Member ID
Reactions
City
Athens
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
How much boost were u making when ur 3.8 broke? What broke exactly? I have the original drag pack and wondering whats making these fail cause I have not had any issues yet.

Im hoping when the gen 7 comes out they release like a 4.5 L or something. Something that makes 1600-1700 whp without spinning the shit out of it. 3.8's already in the 1500 whp range so thats not that unrealistic.

Read through these 33 pages and decide for yourself what to do. Me, I’d wait for Gen 7

https://www.hellcat.org/threads/gen-5-whipple-3-0-issues-and-failures.255669/

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
Every generation has had an issue btw. They continue to improve but countless ppl have had zero issues with gen 5's. Maybe some are just built better idn.

I think tune plays a roll sometimes but not always. Once them rotors become unstable they become unhappy quick. Ive seen a few friends with 3.0 whipple gen 5's making BIG power and never having an issue ever. I have a 3.8 so I guess we will see how long it lives this year lol

Not sure why they just dont offer billet rotors for the new generation models. Especislly for the 3.8 since its gonna be making quite a bit more power than the 3.0.

It really sux there is only ONE player in this entire league! So rediculous I have to chose Whipple or chose nothing smh such a joke. Like where is Magnuson? Where is VMP for this platform? Edlebrock? Its such a huge market I just cant wrap my head around why there is ONE blower to choose from so frustrating.

I know the Gen 5's had all kinds of issues. So that's why was inquiring about the Gen 6. Thanks for the info.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Athens
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Every generation has had an issue btw. They continue to improve but countless ppl have had zero issues with gen 5's. Maybe some are just built better idn.

I think tune plays a roll sometimes but not always. Once them rotors become unstable they become unhappy quick. Ive seen a few friends with 3.0 whipple gen 5's making BIG power and never having an issue ever. I have a 3.8 so I guess we will see how long it lives this year lol

Not sure why they just dont offer billet rotors for the new generation models. Especislly for the 3.8 since its gonna be making quite a bit more power than the 3.0.

It really sux there is only ONE player in this entire league! So rediculous I have to chose Whipple or chose nothing smh such a joke. Like where is Magnuson? Where is VMP for this platform? Edlebrock? Its such a huge market I just cant wrap my head around why there is ONE blower to choose from so frustrating.

Great info.

thanks,

Julius

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
The new ones seem to be failing faster then then the gen 5. Numerous people have only gotten 100 miles and a pass or two out of the new gen6. This is why I have been pushing and selling the hellion kit. The compound setup is more than enough for most. Depending on your goals. There does get to a point where the whipple is just easier than turbos to go fast. But being down for a month plus a few times a year just isn’t worth it for most.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Athens
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
The new ones seem to be failing faster then then the gen 5. Numerous people have only gotten 100 miles and a pass or two out of the new gen6. This is why I have been pushing and selling the hellion kit. The compound setup is more than enough for most. Depending on your goals. There does get to a point where the whipple is just easier than turbos to go fast. But being down for a month plus a few times a year just isn’t worth it for most.

I have a twin turbo Roush Mustang, Really love the supercharger sound and instant power, so was kind of wanting to stay the S/C route, but with having such a substantial investment in to the 426 set up, you have me thinking anyways.

thanks again,

Julius

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I'll give it to them they are steadily trying to get it right. They have been working with me since July 2022 and going on 7 blowers currently. They are trying to get them right. Most other companies would have thrown in the towel by now.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Athens
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
I'll give it to them they are steadily trying to get it right. They have been working with me since July 2022 and going on 7 blowers currently. They are trying to get them right. Most other companies would have thrown in the towel by now.

Was hoping you were going to chime in. Was going through your build thread and see you drive and race a lot, so was curious as to the issues you have had. Congrats on all the Wins!!!

thanks,

Julius

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Was hoping you were going to chime in. Was going through your build thread and see you drive and race a lot, so was curious as to the issues you have had. Congrats on all the Wins!!!

thanks,

Julius
Thank you.

My goal is to race every weekend that weather allows. I am registered for some of the big events this year as well. as long as I don't suffer the same downtime as last year and a half, ill be a happy Whipple customer still. I am not over spinning them, I do not have nitrous on them, no spacer plates. I've done everything they have asked me to do to this point. I am hopeful that they have this sorted out this time.