Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

2020 Redeye shifting hiccups

Member ID
Reactions
City
Cherry Hill
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 widebody redeye
Hello, so I just took my redeye to the track for the 1st time last Friday. I have experience at the drag strip with my previous 6sp 392. I've read a few of the threads about the 1 to 2 hiccup and unfortunately I have experienced this on all 4 of my runs. On 2 of the runs it also had a slight hiccup on the 2 to 3 shift. I'm curious has dodge come out with a fix for this as this is really annoying. My 60' was decent for my 1st time with a 1.51 but it falls flat as I'm only obtaining a 3.1 0 to 60. I hope someone can help me put. Thanks

Member ID
Reactions
City
webster
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 challenger hellcat
What trans mode are you running in? Does this happen in sport and track trans modes? What traction mode are you in?
Trans in auto mode correct?- every once in a while I forget to switch the shifter back into auto after doing the burnout in manual mode and this causes funky 1-2 and 2-3 shifts.

OP
JDOTZ
Member ID
Reactions
City
Cherry Hill
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 widebody redeye
Thread Starter #3
What trans mode are you running in? Does this happen in sport and track trans modes? What traction mode are you in?
Trans in auto mode correct?- every once in a while I forget to switch the shifter back into auto after doing the burnout in manual mode and this causes funky 1-2 and 2-3 shifts.

I run in track mode with traction and stability completely off. I tried 2 runs in drive but manually shifting it to 1st gear. That way it shifts for you. The other 2 runs I was in normal drive full auto.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Hello, so I just took my redeye to the track for the 1st time last Friday. I have experience at the drag strip with my previous 6sp 392. I've read a few of the threads about the 1 to 2 hiccup and unfortunately I have experienced this on all 4 of my runs. On 2 of the runs it also had a slight hiccup on the 2 to 3 shift. I'm curious has dodge come out with a fix for this as this is really annoying. My 60' was decent for my 1st time with a 1.51 but it falls flat as I'm only obtaining a 3.1 0 to 60. I hope someone can help me put. Thanks
What size wheels & tires are you running at the track ?

When I first went to 17" wheels & 305's it would do the hiccup on 1>2 shift & sometimes 2>3 shift because it was getting to the shifts a lot quicker with 60's getting better & my tuner made a tweak on trans tune & it's been good ever since.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

Welcome to the forums.

We've got a few members that have dealt with this on varying levels, hopefully they can help you out with what they've learned.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
This seems to be mostly associated with wheel slip on the shifts, and I dealt with this issue alot back when I first got my car, then racing shit down and I'm just getting back to racing this summer and fall. My car is shifting much better now, it used to do this really bad. 2 biggest changes, I went from a 275/40 drag radial on the stock rims to 305/45r18s on Bravados, and I also race in full track mode in drive and don't bump the paddle shifters. My car will always hiccup on up-shifts when I'm using the paddles but let it shift into the next gear on its own at redline. So the two biggest things are tires and just leaving it in Drive and let it do all the shifting on it's own.

OP
JDOTZ
Member ID
Reactions
City
Cherry Hill
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 widebody redeye
Thread Starter #7
What size wheels & tires are you running at the track ?

When I first went to 17" wheels & 305's it would do the hiccup on 1>2 shift & sometimes 2>3 shift because it was getting to the shifts a lot quicker with 60's getting better & my tuner made a tweak on trans tune & it's been good ever since.
I'm running 315 50 17's et street r on a Weld 17x11

OP
JDOTZ
Member ID
Reactions
City
Cherry Hill
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 widebody redeye
Thread Starter #8
Welcome to the forums.

We've got a few members that have dealt with this on varying levels, hopefully they can help you out with what they've learned.
I hope so cause it's very annoying and I want to see what she's capable of.

OP
JDOTZ
Member ID
Reactions
City
Cherry Hill
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 widebody redeye
Thread Starter #9
This seems to be mostly associated with wheel slip on the shifts, and I dealt with this issue alot back when I first got my car, then racing shit down and I'm just getting back to racing this summer and fall. My car is shifting much better now, it used to do this really bad. 2 biggest changes, I went from a 275/40 drag radial on the stock rims to 305/45r18s on Bravados, and I also race in full track mode in drive and don't bump the paddle shifters. My car will always hiccup on up-shifts when I'm using the paddles but let it shift into the next gear on its own at redline. So the two biggest things are tires and just leaving it in Drive and let it do all the shifting on it's own.
I'm going back again this Friday to the track. I'm going to try a few different things to see if anything helps.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
I know he's always out racing, but maybe @Phast Hemi will chime in with some thoughts...

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
A member on the other forum sold his RE due to this. He has some high connections with Stellantis who were working with him to figure it out. Ultimately he was frustrated enough at the strip to sell it to a dealer and buy an SS hoping it would shift more like the Demon that he sold prior but even that had the issue. He’s back in a Demon currently.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Ron @DRAGRCR is here too....

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
couldnt remember if he was here too, Getting old lol

OP
JDOTZ
Member ID
Reactions
City
Cherry Hill
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 widebody redeye
Thread Starter #14
A member on the other forum sold his RE due to this. He has some high connections with Stellantis who were working with him to figure it out. Ultimately he was frustrated enough at the strip to sell it to a dealer and buy an SS hoping it would shift more like the Demon that he sold prior but even that had the issue. He’s back in a Demon currently.
I remember reading that thread. It's absolutely crazy that it seems to be about 50% of the redeyes do it and the other half don't. I find it hard to believe that it's meant to act like that cause then they would all do it. I'm going to the track Friday and hopefully figure it out. I also have an appointment at the dealer on Tuesday to talk to the tech and maybe a flash of the tcm will fix it.

Idoru99

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dumfries
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Redeye WB
I noticed mine doing it at ChallengerFest during the 2-3 shifts. I'll be at MIR tomorrow and Friday for MSHS, I'm betting it will do it again. We'll see.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
I remember reading that thread. It's absolutely crazy that it seems to be about 50% of the redeyes do it and the other half don't. I find it hard to believe that it's meant to act like that cause then they would all do it. I'm going to the track Friday and hopefully figure it out. I also have an appointment at the dealer on Tuesday to talk to the tech and maybe a flash of the tcm will fix it.
Hoping the flash works. I did read somewhere that there is some sort of TSB for a flash for it. And I forgot to ask the service guy at my last oil change :mad:. The only thing is if it helps then why didnt DRGRCR ever get it resolved? He went to the ends of the earth chasing it to no avail. Not convinced that the flash will fix it yet.

Idoru99

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dumfries
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Redeye WB
Hoping the flash works. I did read somewhere that there is some sort of TSB for a flash for it. And I forgot to ask the service guy at my last oil change :mad:. The only thing is if it helps then why didnt DRGRCR ever get it resolved? He went to the ends of the earth chasing it to no avail. Not convinced that the flash will fix it yet.
Unless that TSB came out after DRGRCR moved from the RE to the SS. I remember reading his thread a while back, I just don't know the timing of things.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Unless that TSB came out after DRGRCR moved from the RE to the SS. I remember reading his thread a while back, I just don't know the timing of things.
It wouldve had to come out very recently. He had the same trouble with the SS and already got rid of it for another Demon. This was all in the last few weeks I believe.

OP
JDOTZ
Member ID
Reactions
City
Cherry Hill
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 widebody redeye
Thread Starter #19
I noticed mine doing it at ChallengerFest during the 2-3 shifts. I'll be at MIR tomorrow and Friday for MSHS, I'm betting it will do it again. We'll see.
I'm debating on running in the mshs at cecil but not if I can't get a full run.

OP
JDOTZ
Member ID
Reactions
City
Cherry Hill
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 widebody redeye
Thread Starter #20
TSB?