Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

2020 Mopar Dodge Challenger Drag Pak

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
My home track. Dodge must like testing there. Back before the Hellcats came out I went there for a test and tune and more then 10 were leaving that must have had a track rental that day

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I'd like to know how much it costs and what equipment comes on it.

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
Based on the standard narrow-body Challenger, the Drag Pak is powered by a 354 cubic-inch supercharged HEMI V8 that drives the rear wheels through a three-speed manual transmission and Strange 9-inch rear end. Dodge hasn't released a power figure for it yet, but Hot Rod Network reports that it is in the neighborhood of 1,500 hp. The car is also equipped with a roll cage certified for 7.5-second quarter-mile runs, which gives you an idea of just how quick it is.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1500-hp-mopar-2020-challenger-drag-pak-debuts-sema-2019/

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
I'll take 2

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
While the Factory Stock Drag Pak is on hell of a drag car...... the big “reveal” was a huge let down. That car has already existed for years now. It’s what Leah won the F/S title in two years ago. What was unwrapped yesterday was just a competitive update of the same car with a new color scheme. The 4:26 time scheduled for this was misleading. The thing has nothing to do with a 426. So at this point (one year after the Hellephant reveal) the only one seen in the light of day is that same motor given to Worman for the Graveyard car “revealed” yesterday. The only thing that got my attention is that they stuck a spoiler on the new Drag Pak and it was the old Hellcat version and not the new “performance” one. Leah’s old car didn’t run one at all and had tape over the holes where it was removed I would think some aero testing had to be done with this Factory 170+ mph drag car. Is the new Redeye spoiler not so “performance” after all?

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Based on the standard narrow-body Challenger, the Drag Pak is powered by a 354 cubic-inch supercharged HEMI V8 that drives the rear wheels through a three-speed manual transmission and Strange 9-inch rear end. Dodge hasn't released a power figure for it yet, but Hot Rod Network reports that it is in the neighborhood of 1,500 hp. The car is also equipped with a roll cage certified for 7.5-second quarter-mile runs, which gives you an idea of just how quick it is.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1500-hp-mopar-2020-challenger-drag-pak-debuts-sema-2019/
Factory Stock runs 7.70s at just under 180mph. This car should be capable of that and then some.
1500hp is believable as they have to weigh 3500lbs

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Wonder who makes the driveshaft???

PIPO

Member ID
Reactions
City
Manhattan
State
KS
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 C7 Z06
Can a regular Joe, with plenty of money, buy this car?

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
Can a regular Joe, with plenty of money, buy this car?
With only 50 available... probably not.

PIPO

Member ID
Reactions
City
Manhattan
State
KS
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 C7 Z06
How do you go about trying to get one?

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
dealer ADM (That's Additional dealer markup, not admin) has to be insane on one of these :ROFLMAO:
I tried to buy one when they first launched back in 2007/08

It required a valid NHRA comp license and proof that you actually raced. I was bracket racing and the car was catered to the Stock and Super Stock classes. I filled out the app and was denied. I think the car was 80k then too.

Local dealerships thought i was loony. They had 0 clue what the car was and all of them were sold through Mopar parts division.

Dealers cannot sell this car and there are no markups unless you buy from someone else.

Its a race car and that's it. It can't be titled or put on the street legally so vast majority of people don't want it.
I will try and look up how to get one, but i know the last COPO Camaro had a hard time selling all 69 of their cars because people just don't want a 100k race car. With all the stuff that has been added, im sure this guy will be over 120k. And if you want to actually race Factory Stock and be competitive, you are probably putting at minimum 30k into it after purchase.

Im sure there will be some collector value here, but I hope people don't buy them and park them. 50 is the minimum build required by NHRA to race the car.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
How do you go about trying to get one?
In years past it was an application submitted to Mopar and they accept/deny it.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Dodge wants you to race these things. The requirement to have at least a competition license to be qualified to do that is understandable. They want them on the track and not in collections. A car that can run 180 mph in 7.5 seconds is brutal. Much faster than that thing looks. The F/S class has become very popular now. Much more so than a few years ago. The problem is the Pro Stock guys are migrating down and that’s why we’re seeing the performance increase. Super tough (and expensive) class to be competitive in now. Of coarse compared to P/S where the car is $400k and you need another Million in parts and backup.... it’s the economy version of that class.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150

I'd like to have the 9-inch for my 1320. I wonder if Mopar Performance will sell them.

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Is this on pump 93 gas? :LOL:

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
I'd like to have the 9-inch for my 1320. I wonder if Mopar Performance will sell them.
Its probably a Moser or Strange unit

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Its probably a Moser or Strange unit
I think it said that it was a Strange unit, but I'm good with that. The 9-inch conversion is expensive, and if Mopar Performance sells them, maybe the price will be better and it won't void my warranty. Infact, Dodge should just start putting them into the regular performance vehicles instead of that self destructing unit they currently install.
I found a bolt in rear cradle that uses a solid axle and coil overs, but haven't priced out the whole conversion yet.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
I think it said that it was a Strange unit, but I'm good with that. The 9-inch conversion is expensive, and if Mopar Performance sells them, maybe the price will be better and it won't void my warranty. Infact, Dodge should just start putting them into the regular performance vehicles instead of that self destructing unit they currently install.
I found a bolt in rear cradle that uses a solid axle and coil overs, but haven't priced out the whole conversion yet.
I had a spread sheet of such a plan for a narrow body redeye and make it a street legal drag pak.
Prices got out of hand, and i know how to do a lot of it.

The biggest problem was the trans, i think the really fast guys have ditched the stock units and have gone 2 or 3 speed GM units. Like every other drag car, once you get to a certain level, the proven stuff goes in and the factory stuff gets tossed.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I had a spread sheet of such a plan for a narrow body redeye and make it a street legal drag pak.
Prices got out of hand, and i know how to do a lot of it.

The biggest problem was the trans, i think the really fast guys have ditched the stock units and have gone 2 or 3 speed GM units. Like every other drag car, once you get to a certain level, the proven stuff goes in and the factory stuff gets tossed.
I can't believe how much that 9-inch center section costs for our cars. There's nothing there. It's not like you're getting a complete narrowed axle with brakes and all.