Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Z's Charger and Recent Engine Troubles

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
We have been putting a ton of prep into the block. It’s a early (hard) 6.2 BGE. We’ve been opening up the water and oil passage ways and are smoothing and polishing every sharp or ragged edge. Particularly the oil returns. They’re even being polished to increase return and reduce oil suspension as the crankcase is breathing through those returns. The difference in these early blocks is evident when doing the porting. The newer BGE’s cut like butter compared to the 15-16 blocks. This thing is like kryptonite compared to the current blocks. We’ll be using a Callies billet crank, but the big deal will be the rods. They are special forged Manley I-beams that they produce “on occasion”. The magic of forging at its highest level. Adam tried to get some more but they said they are not making any more of those at this time. We are also hard filling the block to the water pump.
Street Car ;)

OP
Z

zhc

Founding Member
Premium Account
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #22
Its been years but i thought you were not supposed to go into neutral in a 400, can overspin the trans and turn that into a grenade.

Again, it’s been years and I'm sure someone possibly came up with a solution by now. I'd double check with your trans guy.
That’s correct if you have a standard valve body. But there are alternate valve bodies out there that have a “clean” neutral built in. Clean neutral reverse pattern valve bodies allow you to put it into neutral without causing it to overspin. It requires a shifter designed for this style of valve body. The shift pattern goes like this.

Park - Normal Neutral/Reverse - 1 - 2 - 3 - Clean Neutral

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
OP
Z

zhc

Founding Member
Premium Account
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #24
That’s correct if you have a standard valve body. But there are alternate valve bodies out there that have a “clean” neutral built in. Clean neutral reverse pattern valve bodies allow you to put it into neutral without causing it to overspin. It requires a shifter designed for this style of valve body. The shift pattern goes like this.

@Boris

A picture of what the shifter looks like for a reverse pattern safe neutral valve body.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
These special race T400’s are not your old Chevy turbo hydromatic. Many of the clean neutral 400’s actually go into reverse by activating the transbrake while in the reverse position on the shifter. If you don’t do that it will damage the trans. Also you never start your burnout in first gear and shift to second. Second gear start only with one of these things. I have a completely different setup in mine. I have the valve body with no clean neutral. When I let off the gas in high gear, it immediately starts freewheeling and the rpm goes to idle. These things have about as much in common with that old factory 400 as the space shuttle. Mine… A3AFE9BE-8DEC-4B1C-AAE4-68FEB44E31C5.jpeg

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Sorry to hear about the issues. That sucks and I know how frustrated you must be. Lots of good info you shared. Good luck @zhc

OP
Z

zhc

Founding Member
Premium Account
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #27
Sorry to hear about the issues. That sucks and I know how frustrated you must be. Lots of good info you shared. Good luck @zhc
I’m actually not frustrated at all. It helps to understand that there are no guarantees at this level. The financial burden will pass with time and I have a few paths I can take to move forward or backwards depending on how you look at it.

Still having fun here and wish I had more time to put in. That’s been the hardest part about all this is finding time.

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
I’m actually not frustrated at all. It helps to understand that there are no guarantees at this level. The financial burden will pass with time and I have a few paths I can take to move forward or backwards depending on how you look at it.

Still having fun here and wish I had more time to put in. That’s been the hardest part about all this is finding time.
Great attitude! I don’t know that I could maintain that level of calmness. 😂 Keep at it and I wish you the best!

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
These special race T400’s are not your old Chevy turbo hydromatic. Many of the clean neutral 400’s actually go into reverse by activating the transbrake while in the reverse position on the shifter. If you don’t do that it will damage the trans. Also you never start your burnout in first gear and shift to second. Second gear start only with one of these things. I have a completely different setup in mine. I have the valve body with no clean neutral. When I let off the gas in high gear, it immediately starts freewheeling and the rpm goes to idle. These things have about as much in common with that old factory 400 as the space shuttle. Mine… View attachment 106954
My first time driving something like this I was 18 and was awfully confused by the whole reverse thing. I was driving through the parade and didn’t want to mess anything up I ended up telling them I didn’t have reverse 🤣

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
These special race T400’s are not your old Chevy turbo hydromatic. Many of the clean neutral 400’s actually go into reverse by activating the transbrake while in the reverse position on the shifter. If you don’t do that it will damage the trans. Also you never start your burnout in first gear and shift to second. Second gear start only with one of these things. I have a completely different setup in mine. I have the valve body with no clean neutral. When I let off the gas in high gear, it immediately starts freewheeling and the rpm goes to idle. These things have about as much in common with that old factory 400 as the space shuttle. Mine… View attachment 106954
You have a passenger seat

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer

Figured there would be something by now.
Sold all my race car shit back in 08/09
My 400 wasn't stock chevy but was told by my trans guy not to shift into neutral.
540bbc running 9.50s index and brackets.

Need to look into this.
Getting the bug to build a turbo motor for my chevy.
Tired of cruising it after a few hundred miles lol

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Zdung,

Hope you get your car back up and running asap and know your pain about being down. But we know you will get that motor built stronger than ever.

We have clean neutral at top as well and I have not gotten used to it. It just sounds like the motor will blow up each time going from 180+ into neutral. I have to wap the throttle as few times to get most of the gas out of the cylinders.

See you back at the track in no time.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country