Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

WOW FORD ain’t backing down Holly Smokes

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
I really like the idea of a big tank but I'm cheap. The 23gal in the Silverado has never been a prob. Hard to justify $445.

I'm in NH and there is a dealer 2hr away that is offering $2k under invoice. I priced one out, great deal! But I want to hold off for a couple months, I really don't want to take delivery in the middle of a NH winter, especially when the dealer is up north by the ski areas!

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
I was looking at a F150 SuperCab MSRP $56,455, quoted at $51,519. (Similar to the discounts in TN but less driving!) But the wife and I looked at some at the local dealer and we decided to upgrade to the SuperCrew which will be about $2200 more.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Supercrew is worth the extra interior space.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
My wife tows a 6-7klb horse trailer short distances, Silverado 1500 has worked fine so I think we are ok staying with the 1/2T.
My girlfriend would strongly disagree with that. She probably wouldn't even tow someone else's horse trailer with only a dead parrot in it down the driveway.

Okay, maybe a dead parrot, but nothing that's still alive. Heck, she had a Dodge diesel dually with a stick shift to pull her 2-horse trailer when we met. Then again, it was also her only car.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I really like the idea of a big tank but I'm cheap. The 23gal in the Silverado has never been a prob. Hard to justify $445.

I'm in NH and there is a dealer 2hr away that is offering $2k under invoice. I priced one out, great deal! But I want to hold off for a couple months, I really don't want to take delivery in the middle of a NH winter, especially when the dealer is up north by the ski areas!
$2k under invoice is great right now.

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
My girlfriend would strongly disagree with that. She probably wouldn't even tow someone else's horse trailer with only a dead parrot in it down the driveway.

Okay, maybe a dead parrot, but nothing that's still alive. Heck, she had a Dodge diesel dually with a stick shift to pull her 2-horse trailer when we met. Then again, it was also her only car.
I understand, and I know you are a pro. If the wife was towing 500mi at a time, the F250 would be a lock, but she tows maybe 20mi each way once, maybe twice a week, 3 seasons. Never had any probs with the Silverado 1500 for the past 19 years. We are in NH, gentle driving (I taught her), not like we're navigating the Eisenhower or Jersey Pike. Hard to justify the 3/4T. But your advice is well noted and considered, and greatly appreciated! And we haven't closed the deal yet!

BTW: You would freak if you saw the POS the other women use for tow vehicles! Land Rovers?!?!? Chev crossovers?!?! Subaru station wagons!!!!!!!

Showing up at a horse show with a 3/4T or better is like they are the man! Not to mention dualies!!!!

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
You would freak if you saw the POS the other women use for tow vehicles! Land Rovers?!?!? Chev crossovers?!?! Subaru station wagons!!!!!!!
I know. Hardly a day goes by during tourist season (there's a lake and campground down the road) without my girlfriend mentioning some horrible towing setup she saw. The barn is close to the road so she sees a lot of the traffic.

And it doesn't help that it's legal for anyone to tow doubles here, so quite a few travel trailers with a boat trailer behind them. Sometimes pulled by....you guessed it, a 1/2-ton.

Chunky White

Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I have had 3 F150 with the 5.0 and two with the 3.5 ecoboost and the ecoboost is a rocket compared to the 5.0 from a dead stop. The 5.0 needs a 3.55 at the least in my opinion to get decent mileage and the ecoboost is all boost and no economy. I never towed anything worth mentioning behind any of them but had zero issues. I bought one 5.0 with the small gas tank and hated it after having the 36 gallon tank on the truck before it. I kicked myself for not looking to see what size tank that truck had.

I have considered getting a 3/4ton gas truck because they seem to have the biggest dealer rebates here locally and I don't need a diesel. My buddy has a 3/4 ton gas Silverado work truck thats all blacked out and it looks as good on the outside as the loaded trucks some of the guys I work around have and was about 30k cheaper

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
For someone who has never towed commercially, I probably have towed more than most. And have learned a few things along the way.

It has ranged from quite a bit of flat towing the Jeep early on, to pulling doubles with the Peterbilt, and a lot in between.
I can only guess, but it has to be at least 300,000 miles so far, possibly closer to 400,000.
But I've never towed a travel trailer on public roads.

My take on it these days is based on those miles. For the tow vehicle, it should be heavy and have a long wheelbase.
With trailers there's much more to it. While I have several of them, if at all possible I avoid bumper pulls. And especially single axle trailers. They're fine on the property, not so much on public roads, I think.

With enclosed trailers (bumper pulls) a weight distributing hitch and active sway control can be worth its weight in gold.
I'm also a big fan of gooseneck trailers over recreational style 5th wheels, for a number of reasons. Although, I'd take an RV 5th wheel over a bumper pull any day (then convert it to a gooseneck hitch asap).

As you can probably imagine by now, I cringe whenever DGatzby mentions trailering his Challenger behind an SUV. And on a open trailer at that. Such a beautiful car deserves a real tow vehicle and ideally also an enclosed trailer.
giphy.gif

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
F-ing dumb asses ... rolling that truck the rest of the way off the mountain.... It's simple physics.

I've had a bunch of Ford Expeditions (mostly ELs, what they now call the Max, which is a stupid name). They've been nothing be great except for dealing with the local dealer on a recall. Christ, I'd shit can every dealer I've ever dealt with, almost. No common sense, pride in what they do, or competence. (as noted, that is the majority, there are some good ones out there)

Chunky White

Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
F-ing dumb asses ... rolling that truck the rest of the way off the mountain.... It's simple physics.

I've had a bunch of Ford Expeditions (mostly ELs, what they now call the Max, which is a stupid name). They've been nothing be great except for dealing with the local dealer on a recall. Christ, I'd shit can every dealer I've ever dealt with, almost. No common sense, pride in what they do, or competence. (as noted, that is the majority, there are some good ones out there)
I would most likely still have an F150 if it wasn't for the nearest dealer who are too lazy to fix the truck under warranty or just hoping I would go somewhere else. I traded at their GMC dealership and it went directly to their lot for sale. They fixed it eventually and a salesman called me out on it. I explained it went there 3 times for cam positioning sensor issues before the truck started sounding like a diesel on cold starts

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #32
Supercrew is worth the extra interior space when you take the girlfriend out or wife great room to do some pounding😁

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Exactly.

There's not as much room in the back of a Mustang now as there was on the Fox body cars :p:p

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Well it looks like Broncos are starting to be delivered to dealerships at a quicker pace now, which will hopefully cause the adm games to slow or disappear. I'm sure there are people willing to still pay adm's in the interim.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I was just comparing new and used F350 - F450 Ford diesel trucks. They're asking $30-40K more for the used ones. WTF?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
How the hell is that even possible? Are there no new ones to be had on the lots?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
How the hell is that even possible? Are there no new ones to be had on the lots?
They're out there. I only found 1 that was listed at MSRP. Everything else was $15-30K ADM depending on dealer.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I was just comparing new and used F350 - F450 Ford diesel trucks. They're asking $30-40K more for the used ones. WTF?
Been that way since the plandemic. I guess people are paying it or they wouldn't be asking. It certainly does make for some head scratching.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Must be people's unwillingness to shop around, and/or buy from some other state.

I've noticed that certain areas can have quite a bit higher pricing than others, and sometimes only 50 miles away other dealers are offering discounts.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Must be people's unwillingness to shop around, and/or buy from some other state.

I've noticed that certain areas can have quite a bit higher pricing than others, and sometimes only 50 miles away other dealers are offering discounts.
That's because plenty of people don't want the "hassle" of taking a plane ride or a long drive to get something at a better price. I'll certainly drop a few hundred on travel expenses if it means I'm gonna save a few grand.

And then I get a nice scenic break-in ride on the way home.