Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Wow did I just convince myself to buy an Electric CAR😳

MJS73

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moparland
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat
You are easier to talk into doing things than I am.

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Gotta make up the Fed gas tax some how:unsure:
Funny we haven’t heard one thing about how they’re going to recoup the gas tax money if we’re all electric 🤔 Probably the same way they’re going to fix Soc Sec & Medicare😳

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #183
Funny we haven’t heard one thing about how they’re going to recoup the gas tax money if we’re all electric 🤔 Probably the same way they’re going to fix Soc Sec & Medicare😳
The plan is to charge you by the miles you drive is the rumors.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Just give it to the IRS and let them F-ck it up. 45 degrees and time to roust the cat.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Used the cost of his commercial charge, and then used the ranges he was actually showing. It does and should open our eyes to what the government can hang us with. If they put those charging stations in, then they get to charge for the power. It will be ugly given what we have seen they are capable of now.
I was doing a little research online yesterday and saw numbers all over the place comparing the 2. Bottom line EV isn't free to run. A hybrid may be the most efficient.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
The more you research the worse it gets. Like watching the news telling everyone you are going to die by covid when the fact of the matter less the 1% will

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Yea heard that too. But who knows. With this F’d up administration they might decide to try and charge you by ability to pay😳 you know, make up some new rules kind of like they were talking about new rules to get at all the billionaires money they couldn’t tax

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
Used the cost of his commercial charge, and then used the ranges he was actually showing. It does and should open our eyes to what the government can hang us with. If they put those charging stations in, then they get to charge for the power. It will be ugly given what we have seen they are capable of now.
Guess I still don’t get the number. My wife has a plug in hybrid and the cost is far less than $0.29/mile.

For her mostly local needs (which is fairly typical for many people research shows) she uses the car about 25miles per day and fully recharges on a regular 110 outlet in the garage. Our at home electric charge cost/rate is about $0.11/ KWh

so per day it’s about $0.88 to operate the car (gas equivalent)

for her/us that comes out to:

$0.035 per mile. (Or 12% the cost CC is reporting)

moreover, since she’s had the car (January 2019) I’d say she has put perhaps 10 tanks of gas in the car, total in 3 years.. (Yes I use stabil, 😂.) We have ~30,000 miles on the Kia Niro.

so if you want to add in gas costs too that’s about 30 gallons at maybe 3.30 a gallon (which is high actually). That adds another whopping $0.003/mi, keeping the running total still under $0.04/mi.

The lesson I see here is we need to be careful with the math and understand that different situations can yield wildly different results.

Anyhow that’s my $0.04 cents for what it’s worth! ;)

PS For those who prefer mi/gal all you need to do to convert is divide the current cost of gas and divide by the $/mi estimate.

In my example above that would be $4.5/gallon (regular unleaded gas cost here in Colorado) divided by $0.04/mi.

The rounded result is 113mi/gallon.

For comparative purposes, the $0.29/mi estimate made for cc by dgatzby = 15mi/gallon.

Last edited:

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
You are easier to talk into doing things than I am.
Hmmm...and my wife....is even easier...o_O

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Yea heard that too. But who knows. With this F’d up administration they might decide to try and charge you by ability to pay😳 you know, make up some new rules kind of like they were talking about new rules to get at all the billionaires money they couldn’t tax
whoooaa.....Smitty...you one of those rich guys????? wtf:unsure::unsure::unsure:

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Guess I still don’t get the number. My wife has a plug in hybrid and the cost is far less than $0.29/mile.

For her mostly local needs (which is fairly typical for many people research shows) she uses the car about 25miles per day and fully recharges on a regular 110 outlet in the garage. Our at home electric charge cost/rate is about $0.11/ KWh

moreover, since she’s had the car (January 2019) I’d say she has put perhaps 10 tanks of gas in the car, total in 3 years.. (Yes I use stabil, 😂.) We have ~30,000 miles on the Kia Niro.

so if you want to add in gas costs too that’s about 30 gallons at maybe 3.30 a gallon (which is high actually). That adds another whopping $0.003/mi, keeping the running total still under $0.04/mi.

The lesson I see here is we need to be careful with the math and understand that different situations can yield wildly different results.

yeah...like I was good @ math...hmmm...not sure I was good @ anything..:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
yeah...like I was good @ math...hmmm...not sure I was good @ anything..:unsure::unsure::unsure:
Differential calculus is your friend. You just don’t know it yet! 😆

Hayabusa

HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lunatic Fringe
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 WB Redeye, Sublime
Great thread. CC, thanks for going out there as you will help answer and you will create a gaggle of questions. Topic drives strong feelings and emotions. Took huevos and $$$ invested to start this conversation on an ICE forum. Appreciate ya CC.

I fear I will be forced into EV at some point if my old @$$ wants a new car. Young folks...you're done.

For those of us who lived the late 60's- 70's, history repeats. Last time, small low HP imports and rectangular headlights. This time, batteries and egg shapes with no grill/air intakes. I am greatful I lived through 2 iterations of ICE performance and the second time had the funding to own and experience Hellcats, a GT500, Raptors, and several Vipers.

Mustang Mach E...yep, not a Mustang. Thank goodness Dodge would never do anything like...oh, wait...

1647183560838.png

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #194

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Differential calculus is your friend. You just don’t know it yet! 😆
Great...another plate...(hey hon..we got another guest @ the party):rolleyes:

TraxMoe

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Heartland
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
POS slasher

PS For those who prefer mi/gal all you need to do to convert is divide the current cost of gas and divide by the $/mi estimate.

In my example above that would be $4.5/gallon (regular unleaded gas cost here in Colorado) divided by $0.04/mi.

The rounded result is 113mi/gallon.

For comparative purposes, the $0.29/mi estimate made for cc by dgatzby = 15mi/gallon.

Unless you have a watt meter recorder / totalizer connected to the outlet that you are using the recharge the battery. How do you actually know how much energy you are using to bring that battery up to full charge ? Are you guesstimating the amount of energy ?

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Good point...many-a-times I remember saying "f*cking calculus" in college...."dicking" is close enough I guess? :unsure:

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
when ya put it that way...she sounds greek:p

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Unless you have a watt meter recorder connected to the outlet that you are using the recharge the battery. How do you actually know how much energy you are using to bring that battery up to full charge ? Are you guesstimating the amount of energy ?
No, when you plug it in it tells you how many hours til recharge. Which has been pretty close/accurate. It stops charging if the plug stays in longer.

Then when my excel bill comes each month I know how much I get charged per KWh. Straight up math from there, and as I noted above, not that complex to calculate.

I also have my electric bills from 2018 and 2019 pre-post EV so I did that comparative analysis too. The numbers are very close to what I said they were above. No conspiracy theories will work on this one. She is definitely getting well over 100 mi/gal in this gas environment. And that's being very conservative.

But as I said, each person's situation is different. I would NOT buy a full EV car right now, especially if you are driving long distances. The station infrastructure is not there. 10 years from now? Maybe.

For local commuting, yep EV or plug-in hybrid EV makes sense. It certainly has for my wife's driving situation. And, as many studies show, her 25mi/day or less example is pretty common.

Last edited:
OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State