Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Whipple now coming out with a hellcat 3.8

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
3713F617-7C0C-4B4D-A2BE-79F2C3E575C4.jpeg
He has one. Big is an understatement

OP
Hatermkr

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
Thread Starter #23

Attachments

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Well, getting closer lol..... Ordered from Dusterhoff. Says friday they shoud have a bunch in. Pre-paid so hopefully I get in a week or two! Wooo-hooo Psyched!

OP
Hatermkr

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
Thread Starter #26
Well, getting closer lol..... Ordered from Dusterhoff. Says friday they shoud have a bunch in. Pre-paid so hopefully I get in a week or two! Wooo-hooo Psyched!
I’m still waiting on a 3.8 for a customer been 3 months was told 4-6 weeks

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Just got email from Dusterhoff. States Nick Williams shipped them yesterday and should be here friday. Believe it when I see it lol.....

I’m still waiting on a 3.8 for a customer been 3 months was told 4-6 weeks

Member ID
Reactions
City
MB
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Demon
Just got email from Dusterhoff. States Nick Williams shipped them yesterday and should be here friday. Believe it when I see it lol.....
Are these the new production cast units?

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I was referring to the TB but yea its the same fit tho. I already have the billet 3.8 just not sure if im gonna use it or not right now.

OP
Hatermkr

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
Thread Starter #30
Yes they are. A lot of people will buy a 3.8 for stock cubes and be over kill

Member ID
Reactions
City
MB
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Demon
I was planning on getting a 3.8 for a stock Redeye engine on E85 for the season then do a built engine next winter.

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I agree and didnt even consider the 3.8 unless I was going with a bigger CI motor. Not to mention without a fully built motor it will grenade shit with the power it makes.

I think most ppl with stock stroke set ups will run into the same issues ppl had when the 4.5 Whipple came out. Just too big for their application and cant spin it.

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Would be interesting to see a comparison between the 3.0 and the 3.8 on the stock bottom end and then on a 411 and 426 stroker setup.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
The 3.8 as a pump is simply capable of moving a lot more air than the 3.0. Case in point…. Two cars in the shop. Mine is a 426 with base Thitek Bears and the 3.0. The other car (the blue one) is a 401 with the same heads and everything else comparable. Mine was making 25 whp more at the same rpm. We traded the 3.0 on the blue car for the new billet 3.8. We were pretty much wringing the 3.0’s out rpm wise. The swap was a last minute deal for the Houston Legions event so it was kept simple without pushing it. Ran the same 109 mm throttle body off the 3.0, which with the 3.8 is limiting. We also kept the supercharger rpm conservative. There was a 225 whp increase with three pulls and nothing more than fuel adjustments. I think there will be a lot more with the 130 mm throttle body and a little more rpm. This was not a dyno race where numbers for marketing were the goal. They were just what happened when making reliable tuning adjustments to be ready to race. The current (yes there have been improvements) 3.0 is a very capable and rock solid reliable supercharger. It runs very cool (especially the DragPak version). Anyone who says otherwise is lying to sell you something else. I agree that unless you are going serious racing…. the 3.8 is overkill.

Member ID
Reactions
City
MB
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Demon
The 3.8 as a pump is simply capable of moving a lot more air than the 3.0. Case in point…. Two cars in the shop. Mine is a 426 with base Thitek Bears and the 3.0. The other car (the blue one) is a 401 with the same heads and everything else comparable. Mine was making 25 whp more at the same rpm. We traded the 3.0 on the blue car for the new billet 3.8. We were pretty much wringing the 3.0’s out rpm wise. The swap was a last minute deal for the Houston Legions event so it was kept simple without pushing it. Ran the same 109 mm throttle body off the 3.0, which with the 3.8 is limiting. We also kept the supercharger rpm conservative. There was a 225 whp increase with three pulls and nothing more than fuel adjustments. I think there will be a lot more with the 130 mm throttle body and a little more rpm. This was not a dyno race where numbers for marketing were the goal. They were just what happened when making reliable tuning adjustments to be ready to race. The current (yes there have been improvements) 3.0 is a very capable and rock solid reliable supercharger. It runs very cool (especially the DragPak version). Anyone who says otherwise is lying to sell you something else. I agree that unless you are going serious racing…. the 3.8 is overkill.
So for someone who is doing a build for the track would you recommend going straight to the 3.8?

I was thinking 3.0 at first but after doing some reading it seemed I might be smart to go 3.8 to not have the worry about spinning it too fast once I build the motor.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
So for someone who is doing a build for the track would you recommend going straight to the 3.8?

I was thinking 3.0 at first but after doing some reading it seemed I might be smart to go 3.8 to not have the worry about spinning it too fast once I build the motor.
Yes. In fact from what we’ve seen, I would recommend not spinning it aggressively. It’s just ridiculous how much more power it makes. The blue car I was referring to ran a 7.84 at the Houston event. That was blower only with a big pulley and a small throttle body. That’s nuts. I ran against that thing in the semi finals at the Roadkill event Las month in Vegas and just had to watch her walk away from me. I run 165 in the 1/4.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Billet version… 29FF91D8-2034-485B-9849-8908DE7A74C9.jpeg E1EBBF7E-765F-4294-AE90-44E58BB5E179.jpeg A40E6A58-D49A-43D4-9B68-5DBCE5CEDF44.jpeg

Member ID
Reactions
City
MB
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Demon
Yes. In fact from what we’ve seen, I would recommend not spinning it aggressively. It’s just ridiculous how much more power it makes. The blue car I was referring to ran a 7.84 at the Houston event. That was blower only with a big pulley and a small throttle body. That’s nuts. I ran against that thing in the semi finals at the Roadkill event Las month in Vegas and just had to watch her walk away from me. I run 165 in the 1/4.
Thanks for the info Marc. Just waiting on Whipple to release pricing at this point.

Billet version looks really nice. Do you know if the 3.8 with the larger intercooler upgrade fits under a stock Redeye hood?

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thanks for the info Marc. Just waiting on Whipple to release pricing at this point.

Billet version looks really nice. Do you know if the 3.8 with the larger intercooler upgrade fits under a stock Redeye hood?
Waiting on Whipple. Where have I heard that before? 😂. I have that one in the pictures for sale. It’s the billet version with the big IC and a vacuum bypass. Whipple is not making that anymore. I don’t know how long it will be before the cast version will actually be available. As far as the hood goes… I would say no.

Last edited:
Member ID
Reactions
City
MB
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Demon
Waiting on Whipple. Where have I heard that before? 😂. I have that one in the pictures for sale. It’s the billet version with the big IC and a vacuum bypass. Whipple is not making that anymore. I don’t know how long it will be before the cast version will actually be available. As far as the hood goes… I would say no.
Interesting....

So if your goals on the built engine are to go 8.50's and possibly push for low 8's in the future boost only would you go 3.8? Ultimately I am planning the build around being drag and drive capable so if I wanted I could do a race week with it.