Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

What do I need to know before buying?

Member ID
Reactions
City
Everett
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
None yet
I am new to the Hellcat Challenger world. I am looking to buy (used) and have driven several. What I would like to know is, what do I need to know before deciding on a car? Is there a particular year I should be looking at or avoiding? Any important changes in certain years? I most likely will not be getting a Redeye. I also want a manual transmission. The car will be driven several times a week. I take care of my cars, but this will not be a garage queen. I want to enjoy it. TIA for any help and guidance you can provide.

Last edited:

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
If you’re getting a manual transmission, you’re going to have a nice hot rod, for sure. BUT the M6 cars are a handful. Long first gear, revs are pretty high on the highway, and gas mileage isn’t as good as the A8. Also, the clutch can’t handle much more than stock power and launching it at the track will be challenging - more so than other cars you’ve probably raced.

As far as years go, there was supposed to be a driveshaft upgrade in 16, not sure if it was just for the auto or not. There was a radio upgrade for 17 that’s pretty nice. If you’re looking newer you can get the nostril hood and “extra horsepower” if you get one that’s still pretty new. The widebody is a recent addition. Otherwise, they didn’t change much. Someone who has been watching the market more closely will be able to fill in the gaps.

OP
Highway308
Member ID
Reactions
City
Everett
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
None yet
Thread Starter #3
If you’re getting a manual transmission, you’re going to have a nice hot rod, for sure. BUT the M6 cars are a handful. Long first gear, revs are pretty high on the highway, and gas mileage isn’t as good as the A8. Also, the clutch can’t handle much more than stock power and launching it at the track will be challenging - more so than other cars you’ve probably raced.

As far as years go, there was supposed to be a driveshaft upgrade in 16, not sure if it was just for the auto or not. There was a radio upgrade for 17 that’s pretty nice. If you’re looking newer you can get the nostril hood and “extra horsepower” if you get one that’s still pretty new. The widebody is a recent addition. Otherwise, they didn’t change much. Someone who has been watching the market more closely will be able to fill in the gaps.

Thank you for this great input. I will not be tracking the car. As far as a manual trans, I miss my old car that was a manual and I wonder if this may be my last manual trans. It seems that many companies are moving away from them since they are quicker. This will be a "fun" car for me and I believe that driving a manual is a more engaging experience.

Does the widebody come in manual?

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat

I pretty much agree, not as much on the manual downsides - I have a manual and have no intention of changing (I Love It!!), but I have never driven an auto - specifically purchased a manual for the same reasons as The OP mentioned. I have see 18 mpg+ on a road trip and I am OK with 1st gear and I only use 6th when I am in Highway for cruise mode.
Year wise the only thing I would keep in mind is the supercharger - try to get one of the newer versions - I have never had an issue, but it would be some piece of mind... My Hellcat is a '15 and I think mine is one of the less desireable versions (supercharger version-wise). I would lean towards a '17 or newer, but others on the forum might know better than I on the supercharger changes...

Last edited:

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Welcome aboard and good points so far which is always helpful to ask others upon making decisions. I personally don't think you can go too wrong on any year Hellcat since they are really a good car. And for the last 5 years following the Hellcats and I have now owned 4 the Supercharger bearing early on was the only thing that really jumps out at me. I have heard stories of the Manual having issues but nothing radical being your not racing her. I would feel the manual option will narrow your options since the manuals was not the bigger produced model. And from the get go I am assuming you are looking at the Challenger since thats the only Manual option between the Hellcats. I own the Charger and Challenger Hellcats and love the auto. I also own the new Mustangs as well with the Manual and autos and yes the Manual is fun but slow, slow. slow to me. I would look for a 10k or less Hellcat 2-3 years old since this will be the garage queen owner and you get the enjoyment of a really nice car at 20k plus less. You should be in the low to mid 40s for a really nice Hellcat. And the economy is getting ready to take a dump which you just may luck out and even find a 2018 or so for high 40s with little to no miles. Patience is tough but the real story of the economy is not right now. But if your in hurry go for it and good luck.

SunnyS

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Siesta Key
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat
One other point is the M6 cars are noticeably cheaper to purchase.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black

mopar madness

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denton
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 BMW M5
don't listen to all the doom and gloom, while the tall gearing and manual shifts are a hindrance on a prepped drag surface the M6 works just fine on the streets.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Love my M6

I did swap the diff to the 3.90 from the 3.70s.

My clutch is doing just fine.

OP
Highway308
Member ID
Reactions
City
Everett
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
None yet
Thread Starter #10
OP
Highway308
Member ID
Reactions
City
Everett
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
None yet
Thread Starter #11
Welcome aboard and good points so far which is always helpful to ask others upon making decisions. I personally don't think you can go too wrong on any year Hellcat since they are really a good car. And for the last 5 years following the Hellcats and I have now owned 4 the Supercharger bearing early on was the only thing that really jumps out at me. I have heard stories of the Manual having issues but nothing radical being your not racing her. I would feel the manual option will narrow your options since the manuals was not the bigger produced model. And from the get go I am assuming you are looking at the Challenger since thats the only Manual option between the Hellcats. I own the Charger and Challenger Hellcats and love the auto. I also own the new Mustangs as well with the Manual and autos and yes the Manual is fun but slow, slow. slow to me. I would look for a 10k or less Hellcat 2-3 years old since this will be the garage queen owner and you get the enjoyment of a really nice car at 20k plus less. You should be in the low to mid 40s for a really nice Hellcat. And the economy is getting ready to take a dump which you just may luck out and even find a 2018 or so for high 40s with little to no miles. Patience is tough but the real story of the economy is not right now. But if your in hurry go for it and good luck.

Thank you for the feedback. I edited my post to reflect that I am looking for a Challenger. Very good info. here!

OP
Highway308
Member ID
Reactions
City
Everett
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
None yet
Thread Starter #12
One other point is the M6 cars are noticeably cheaper to purchase.
Always a bonus!!

NoCoHC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Numerous
I sold a manual Hellcat last year and bought a new to me used one today. I have been looking since last winter. I have not found the manual cars to be much cheaper if at all. They are getting harder to find. The vast majority of used M6 Hellcats I've seen are 15s and 16s. There are some of the other years especially if you like Yellow Jacket Bondurant Racing 17s but the other years are much less common. I bought another 15 myself but it's only because it was pristine, priced decent, and close. In a perfect world I would have found a 17 plus but I'm happy with the one I bought. A nice low mileage 15-16 car is likely going to be mid 40s which surprises me since I thought they would drop. Maybe they will with the economy, but it actually seems like it's getting better not worse with things slowly opening up. The one below can be had for 42k maybe lower. I was seriously considering it before finding the local car. The owner seems motivated to sell it, but is located in literally the middle of nowhere Utah. Good luck.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Dodge...972122?hash=item3fe1aa455a:g:ONYAAOSwPFZetYkH

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Are you getting divorced any time soon??

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
OP
Highway308
Member ID
Reactions
City
Everett
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
None yet
Thread Starter #16

mopar madness

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denton
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 BMW M5

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
I have 15 and had the SC replaced at 40k miles under warranty. My friend also has a 15 and he had his SC replaced at 35k under warranty. Both are awesome cars but I’d stay away from the 15’s with no warranty left. From what I can tell the newer years don’t have that issue

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Extended warranty and or pre nupt. I went for the car 3 times and won. Car and bank account.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Btw m6 here also, your going to freakin love it!