Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

What are your ⛽️ TIPS ON PUMPING GAS THAT WILL SAVE YOU $$$ or other ways to stretch the mile per gallon?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
IDK
But I like to Read the Mile Per Gallon while driving my Ram. I do a lot of coasting down hill and smile when I see 100 miles per gallon.:ROFLMAO:
Leaving cabin in NM it's about 100 miles down hill until we reach the pecos river. Tickles me to watch the MPG meter. Can get up into the 40s sometimes depending on traffic. Real highway mpg about 22 to 24. 17 if towing full height box trailer, 7-12 if towing in 30 mph winds.

SIXGUN

U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Madeira Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye Widebody
Use the Gas Buddy app to help you find Top Tier premium at the best price. It helps!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
It's fun tax for me. Fill r' up and let it rip.

SIXGUN

U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Madeira Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye Widebody
I just drove 3500 miles in 10 days, including the weekend with nasa SE at Road Atlanta. Fun tax it is, my car gets about 19mpg at 85mph or so, doesn't get that much better slower (best I can tell...cannot get myself to slow down long enough to find out for sure), but gas buddy helps plan those fuel stops. I have saved several hundred $ over the past few years with Gas Buddy. It gets 4-5mpg on track, which I confirmed at Sebring last weekend and will reconfirm at Sebring this weekend!

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I've always liked the theory of the faster I drive the less time the car is running burning fuel :)

OP
Linda's Hell Cat

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #26
I can go to and from work and back home different ways.

I decided instead of the fast way and using the bypass to get to work, I would drive through town to check out the different gas stations for their Diesel fuel Price.

By my house it's 6.49 and the employee pumps the gas. Anything cheaper is what I look for. They have been higher.

In town there was a variety of prices mainly reflecting the 6.49 one I saw more pump it yourself @ 6.49 and some 6.39. and at the Local WAWA which nromally is the sheapest and 6.099.
Now, at WAWA you can get their app and save 10 cents a gallon. But a short distance away there is a shell station and Diesel was 5.99 and they pump it for ya too! That is where I went on my way back home.

Gas Buddy isn't always updated but it is a good app to use!

Linda :)

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
I can go to and from work and back home different ways.

I decided instead of the fast way and using the bypass to get to work, I would drive through town to check out the different gas stations for their Diesel fuel Price.

By my house it's 6.49 and the employee pumps the gas. Anything cheaper is what I look for. They have been higher.

In town there was a variety of prices mainly reflecting the 6.49 one I saw more pump it yourself @ 6.49 and some 6.39. and at the Local WAWA which nromally is the sheapest and 6.099.
Now, at WAWA you can get their app and save 10 cents a gallon. But a short distance away there is a shell station and Diesel was 5.99 and they pump it for ya too! That is where I went on my way back home.

Gas Buddy isn't always updated but it is a good app to use!

Linda :)
In Texas I'm seeing $5.27 a gallon for diesel. In Louisiana now and seeing $5.63 a gallon. Nothing over $6 yet.

OP
Linda's Hell Cat

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #28
In Texas I'm seeing $5.27 a gallon for diesel. In Louisiana now and seeing $5.63 a gallon. Nothing over $6 yet.
Here in Pa we have STOP HOLE Road Taxes.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
I've used Gas Buddy since it first came out. Useful tool. Sometimes worth it to drive a little while further and save some dollars, but sometimes the difference is too small to be worth it. Works best in well populated areas as it depends on folks to enter the prices into the app.

TraxMoe

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Heartland
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
POS slasher
It's best to keep your car clean to reduce skin friction and drag. Ceramic coating or a polymer polish is better than wax.

The cheapest fuel is not always the best and can actually cost you more per mile to use it. It's cheap for a reason.
If your feeling brave, suck up behind that car or truck in front of you and draft the hell out of them. Just be ready for the brake check I'm about to lay on you [rant][driving]

The tire type also will effect your fuel mileage. so if you're a city dweller, you don't really need those all season tires or deep lugged tires if you drive on pavement 99% of the time.

Thinking driving without the A/C on is going to save you $$$ , It's be proven the additional drag on the car caused from the windows rolled down adds a greater amount of parasitic drag than what the A/C compressor uses in energy to run it.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
The tire type also will effect your fuel mileage. so if you're a city dweller, you don't really need those all season tires or deep lugged tires if you drive on pavement 99% of the time.
Laugh all the time at these trucks that do not know what dirt is, let alone mud, but have the out the edge, heavy duty off road with side wall tread,... rolling resistance.... extra entertainment points when they're broken down by the side of the highway, looking sad. I'm out in the Rockies often, and off road, and I have a great seat of "off road" road tires that I've even swapped from one vehicle to the next. (I have all kinds of gear in the cars too, and a front or rear mountable USA-made winch, just in case, but have never needed it - in my current condition I ain't wild hiking for miles in 33 - 60 degree terrain)

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
... in my current condition I ain't wild hiking for miles in 33 - 60 degree terrain)
Are you saying that you'd prefer doing it in 85-105 degrees...while fighting off alligators?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Are you saying that you'd prefer doing it in 85-105 degrees...while fighting off alligators?
lol, no, I'm talking about the gradient. I'm still okay on flat, but the days of mountain climbing are over, absent a change in my health.