Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Transmission not centered in tunnel

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
I'd have to say it's by design, i.e, "normal". I first realized it when installing driveshaft loop.

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Lifted and checked for rubbing this evening, all clean. Indexed the DS 180 at the diff flange, will see tomorrow is any smoother, would have tonight but my kids car is in front of the garage door and he went out with friends and no spare key around, needless to say he got a happy txt lol
had to rotate my CCI shaft 180 degrees to rid the vibration, not perfect but livable.

OP
16GoManGoHC2

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Thread Starter #23
Sunny skies today so drove Hell kitty to work today for its literal shakedown run lol. Vibration much less, still gets a bit worse in a band between 79 and 81 Goes away and doesn’t occur at 130 like it was and was ok up to 155 when I let off. So it’s “race ready” for tomorrow’s track night and see what it does for 60’ and beyond.
Weird thing is now I can feel it in the shifter but indexed it at diff???
I might try 1/4 index at tranny end next but that won’t happen until a later date, I’ve had enough of mopping the garage floor with my ass for one week lol

Member ID
Reactions
City
Detroit
State
Non-US
Country
Afghanistan
I tend to agree with you on this but I don't know why. What?? Meaning, yes I agree they def did it for a reason but don't know why. The old early/mid sixties Chevy Impalas did this but those cars were HUGE. The Challenger(albeit bigger than Camaro/Mustang) is just NOT that big, so why? I read an in depth article on this a ways back but don't know where or I would post it. I believe it said something to the fact that X amount of horsepower driven through a shaft at X amount of angle could take X amount of twisting/abuse. And when you put it through a shorter shaft at even a little more angle it could take more HP. So the Germans (basically the Challenger is based on the 300 series platform) engineered it so that two shorter shafts could take more HP and upset the chassis less with 2 shorter shafts rather than one long one for better handling.
Hey Mike it's after 8:00PM. You take that thing out for a shakedown yet?:D
I find this odd, as even 2000 ft-lb big rigs that have massive compound first gears, putting torque on the DS up to somwhere in the 10,000 ft-lb arena have one-piece DS's. I've only seen 2-piece for length reasons.

So, is it the RPM that moves engineers into the 2-piece DS territory? It sure isn't the torque.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Detroit
State
Non-US
Country
Afghanistan
Lifted and checked for rubbing this evening, all clean. Indexed the DS 180 at the diff flange, will see tomorrow is any smoother, would have tonight but my kids car is in front of the garage door and he went out with friends and no spare key around, needless to say he got a happy txt lol
I am tempted to suggest that you promise to next time just hire a tow truck and bill the kid for it. Spare key would most likely be there relatively quickly thereafter.

Last edited:
Member ID
Reactions
City
Port Barrington
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye Wide body
Drive line offset to the passenger side is normal for many rear drive cars. There are a couple of reasons. Weight offset with only the driver in the car which is 95% of the time is one reason, and clearance for the driver, brake system, and steering gear are all other reasons.
As far as axle lengths. Most of the offset taken up in the diff because of the pinion being to one side of the ring. All diffs are not built the same though. You will note that the entire diff housing is offset on some cars.
IRS cars MUST have the exact same length half shafts. If they did not there would be some real geometric issues with suspension movement when compared side to side back there.
Mopar has always built the rear drive cars with a substantial offset. Its something that works well.