Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Trading the Cat

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Nice new car, be sure to sell or trade it the DAY before the warranty is up. Just some very brutally honest advice. Hopefully we see you back in a Hellcat.

OP
Usmc341

Usmc341

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Henderson
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #22
Beautiful car! How is the straight line performance compared to the Hellcat?
Totally different animal. I haven't really got on it yet because I'm breaking it in but I test drove one and wrung it out a little bit. In short, power delivery from the turbos is more like a rush. Hellcat is more like a hammer. Being 1000 lbs lighter and DCT tranny is it a nice touch.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
No oil dipstick. The car tells you oil level in the EVIC
I've wanted this tech in a car for a long time, I didn't realize it existed, at least not in the sense of actually telling you a specific level.

What resolution does it have?

1/4 quart?

OP
Usmc341

Usmc341

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Henderson
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #24
I've wanted this tech in a car for a long time, I didn't realize it existed, at least not in the sense of actually telling you a specific level.

What resolution does it have?

1/4 quart?
Good question. No one at the dealership really seems to know. In the iDrive it's simply states oil level OK. Then you can push a button to actually check it real time. I'll try it later you have to drive 30 minutes continuously for it to check. When I take it in for the break in service I'll ask the tech. Still trying to figure out the NASA-like iDrive.

Last edited:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
It's got to be accurate enough to facilitate adding more oil, imo, 1/4 qt resolution would be the minimum to make it useful.

If not, give me a stick instead.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Nice new car, be sure to sell or trade it the DAY before the warranty is up. Just some very brutally honest advice. Hopefully we see you back in a Hellcat.

^^^ This !! I know a few BMW guys and have talked to dealer mechanics - they all say these cars are insanely expensive to own out of warranty. You can slide by for a short while post warranty if there is a really good independent shop in your area.

Enjoy the car, they are a blast, well except for the iDrive as you are finding out - LOL.

OP
Usmc341

Usmc341

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Henderson
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #27
^^^ This !! I know a few BMW guys and have talked to dealer mechanics - they all say these cars are insanely expensive to own out of warranty. You can slide by for a short while post warranty if there is a really good independent shop in your area.

Enjoy the car, they are a blast, well except for the iDrive as you are finding out - LOL.
No worries with that. I don't keep a car past 2 years, maybe three at the outside. That's why I did a lot of research before I settled on the M2. FWIW BMWs are always at the top of the JP power ratings for reliability. Who knows. Like I told my kids, if I don't like it I'll trade it. It's only money.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
It's got to be accurate enough to facilitate adding more oil, imo, 1/4 qt resolution would be the minimum to make it useful.

I found this.....it might answer the question or at least get you in the ballpark of an answer....they mention the level and amount around the 1:45 mark

OP
Usmc341

Usmc341

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Henderson
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #29
I found this.....it might answer the question or at least get you in the ballpark of an answer....they mention the level and amount around the 1:45 mark

Thank you. Oil measurement on the M2 is actually in iDrive. Going to do a measurement later

OP
Usmc341

Usmc341

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Henderson
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #30

Okay upon further review I found this in the manual. if it gets low on oil it will pop up in the instrument cluster and tell you exactly how much to add. IMG_20200215_091758946.jpg

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Thank you. Oil measurement on the M2 is actually in iDrive. Going to do a measurement later
Ok, cool. Maybe the measuring range is the same. Did the car come with a copy of the owners manual loaded in there like the Dodge does? Asking out of curiosity.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Okay upon further review I found this in the manual. if it gets low on oil it will pop up in the instrument cluster and tell you exactly how much to add. View attachment 12626
Awesome, so it works basically the same as the video by telling you how much to add.

OP
Usmc341

Usmc341

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Henderson
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #33
Ok, cool. Maybe the measuring range is the same. Did the car come with a copy of the owners manual loaded in there like the Dodge does? Asking out of curiosity.
Yes there's a paper copy and another copy located in iDrive

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Yes there's a paper copy and another copy located in iDrive
I didn't know about the electronic copy in my Challenger at first, so I ordered the paper copy, that's when they told me about the electronic copy in the car. I still wanted the paper copy, it's more convenient for me.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I much prefer the downloaded PDF versions as they are easily keyword searchable.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Most move up in hp not down, interesting

OP
Usmc341

Usmc341

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Henderson
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #37
Most move up in hp not down, interesting
It isn't always about the numbers. Doesn't matter if you have 2000 hp if can't enjoy it.

Hellion

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Johnstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
I'm sure you will enjoy the BMW. My wife loves her X5/M. Taking the BMW in for service will be a totally different experience than taking the Hellcat in for service.

Hayabusa

HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lunatic Fringe
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 WB Redeye, Sublime
Cool color, cool car! Congrats!!!

I've left Hellcats twice and am back again. Last time I thought it was for my "dream car", a 2018 F Type Jaguar with 550hp and all the snap, crackle, pop an exhaust lover could want...nyet...back in a Hellcat. We are somewhat alike in wanting to try a different kind of power delivery and handling experience. I'm back and finally understand why...the punch in the gut, musclecar "thing".

I think you'll really enjoy the BMW experience (especially the exceptional service departments we have come to appreciate, they are great here). We always have a BMW in the garage as my wife's ride. She won't consider anything else. I'm dying to know if, over time, you'll miss the rawness of the Hellcat and, particularly because this is your "fun car", if You'll Be Back.

Hell of a new ride you have there! All the best with it and Enjoy!!! Please keep us updated on your experience with it.

Blown7

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Woodstock
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Trackhawk
One thing...
BMW service will spoil you..they even give free wiper blades when you need them..
However it ain't a Hellcat. .