Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Toyota's New Matte Finish Technology

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I wonder what it has to be recoated with yearly?

OP
P

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
Thread Starter #3
I'm sure it'll be proprietary secret sauce. The test will be if it works on a daily driver that's in the snow belt.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I'm sure it'll be proprietary secret sauce. The test will be if it works on a daily driver that's in the snow belt.
Wondering if it can be matched when a repair is needed?

MJS73

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moparland
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Genesis has been offering a matte finish in 3 colors for a while now. I stopped by a dealer a few weeks ago just to see it in person out of curiosity but they had none in stock (it's a $1500 upgrade). They did say there was a list of things not to do to it & some sort of 'special' wash soap you're suppose to use.

Seems like it could be a real PITA to care for, not sure about waxing or ceramic coating, can it be buffed (doubtful)? If it needs to be repainted, bet a lot of places won't even touch it and costs will be high as blending will be a real problem.

Bet it looks cool in person, but I think I'm to picky to live with it as a DD.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Genesis has been offering a matte finish in 3 colors for a while now. I stopped by a dealer a few weeks ago just to see it in person out of curiosity but they had none in stock (it's a $1500 upgrade). They did say there was a list of things not to do to it & some sort of 'special' wash soap you're suppose to use.

Seems like it could be a real PITA to care for, not sure about waxing or ceramic coating, can it be buffed (doubtful)? If it needs to be repainted, bet a lot of places won't even touch it and costs will be high as blending will be a real problem.

Bet it looks cool in person, but I think I'm to picky to live with it as a DD.
Mercedes and BMW offer mat finish.

I'm not sure if you can do a paint repair without doing the whole car? Something like the mystic clearcoat the Mustang had way back.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Mercedes and BMW offer mat finish.

I'm not sure if you can do a paint repair without doing the whole car? Something like the mystic clearcoat the Mustang had way back.
Yeah, I would sure want to research all that before buying into it ! Probably has high insurance costs as well since your choice of repair places will likely be rather limited.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Yeah, I would sure want to research all that before buying into it ! Probably has high insurance costs as well since your choice of repair places will likely be rather limited.
A friend has a SRT8 Challenger that has a custom mat finish. It was someone's show car before he bought it. He can't match up any touch-up paint for it. But it always looks the same clean or dirty.

Lize

Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bury St Edmunds
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WB Redeye
I was chatting with the local body shop man and he was telling me he was getting a Range Rover in for repair which had an £8K matte black paint option. He was dreading it as it’s a spray and leave job and if not perfect then start all over again. I just had a look on the website and on the SV you can opt for satin ice white at £12K :oops:

Also reminds me of a bloke I met a few years ago with an AMG C Class and he’d paid about £8K for matte black and hated it, a complete nightmare to wash so he had it wrapped in gloss white.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I was chatting with the local body shop man and he was telling me he was getting a Range Rover in for repair which had an £8K matte black paint option. He was dreading it as it’s a spray and leave job and if not perfect then start all over again. I just had a look on the website and on the SV you can opt for satin ice white at £12K :oops:

Also reminds me of a bloke I met a few years ago with an AMG C Class and he’d paid about £8K for matte black and hated it, a complete nightmare to wash so he had it wrapped in gloss white.
Good to know, had a feeling it would be a real PITA to care for !