Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

SRT -041 Oil Filter 5038041AA quality and manufacturing flow issues (revisited)

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Don't quote me on this @DGatzby , but I think this is a WIX product and comes from Poland*

Nobody say shit about Poland, I'll ban your ass for 30 days.... :eek::p
I believe that's what I've read in the past as well.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Good work Bull. Appreciate the info. Dealer does my oil changes for now and they use that very filter...turn OCD off. Wait, thanks a lot Bull...dealer is going to think I'm crazy inspecting every oil filter now.

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
Checked my stock and 2 not good and 1 good. Amazing how they go through the trouble of putting a plastic cap on the end and placing the filter in a baggie but the build quality is so different from one filter to the other. Guess which of these 2 filters looks best.. 😉 Screenshot_20191022-222917_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20191022-222821_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
use the mo-899 also but was curious how or if anyone has used the kn filter or had any info on whether or not it is any better then the mo-899 I do change my oil every 3,000 but while im racing it right now I tend to change it 1500 ,I know its over kill but I like it clean

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
One more design difference to feed your OCD. The 041 has a dome end bypass. The 899 has a base end bypass. In the unlikely event that the filter goes into bypass, the oil will wash over the dirty side of the filter media on the dome end bypass (041).

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
One more design difference to feed your OCD. The 041 has a dome end bypass. The 899 has a base end bypass. In the unlikely event that the filter goes into bypass, the oil will wash over the dirty side of the filter media on the dome end bypass (041).
It’s really really unlikely.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Miami
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat
Do the 392, hellcat and demon use the same oil filter?

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
Looking at The one I have on the shelf, I'm seeing the same problem. some of the holes are not open as much as others. appears to be caused by a dull die that didn't cut clean. I believe I can take a small blade screwdriver and open them up little and save the filter. I noted that it reads Made In Poland on the filter! ? Another low cost MFG

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
But they are distributed by FCA written in several languages.

@DodgeCares, why don't someone get to Poland and understand why they have inconsistent manufacturing putting out products we are suspicious of?

nytrorcr1

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Cookeville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hell Cat
Looking at The one I have on the shelf, I'm seeing the same problem. some of the holes are not open as much as others. appears to be caused by a dull die that didn't cut clean. I believe I can take a small blade screwdriver and open them up little and save the filter. I noted that it reads Made In Poland on the filter! ? Another low cost MFG
Excuse my ignorance but isn't the center the clean side of the filter? So if you use a screwdriver to open slots you may get burr's into the system.

OP
BULL

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #32
Do the 392, hellcat and demon use the same oil filter?

Just to be clear, the -041 us not the original filter pn on the HC motor.

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
Excuse my ignorance but isn't the center the clean side of the filter? So if you use a screwdriver to open slots you may get burr's into the system.
If you would go at it like a baboon you might could. Really not talking about major surgery here!

Av8ing1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Marcos
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
I purchased two of these filters. Put one on last week without looking at it much. The second, well you guys got me looking. It looks okay to me. One row has the, I going to call them louvers, pointed up and the next row pointed down. I can't see how open the down pointed louvers are. What I can see looks clean and open. I'm assuming that the code stamped on the bottom of the filter is a date code? Mine says 1419, made 14th week of 19? Not easy to get pictures but I've made an attempt. 1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

OP
BULL

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #35
I purchased two of these filters. Put one on last week without looking at it much. The second, well you guys got me looking. It looks okay to me. One row has the, I going to call them louvers, pointed up and the next row pointed down. I can't see how open the down pointed louvers are. What I can see looks clean and open. I'm assuming that the code stamped on the bottom of the filter is a date code? Mine says 1419, made 14th week of 19? Not easy to get pictures but I've made an attempt. View attachment 5171 View attachment 5172 View attachment 5173

I think your openings are about the largest so far.

OP
BULL

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #36
I also think you're on to something with the date on the bottom.

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
So please correct me if I'm wrong, the SRT (white) filter I was told by a Napa Auto guy (he looked it up in his computer) said that is for the Viper and the black Mopar filter is for the 6.2L engine. He also said the SRT (white) filter has a 16lb spring in it vs the Mopar (black) filter, which has a 12lb spring it in. I run a Napa Gold filter (Wix) (P/N 7899), which is compared to the Mopar (black) filter.

Just curious if the Viper filter is meant for a Viper, why do so many run it in their Hellcats? I think I remembering seeing (Somewhere) where someone cut the filters in half showing the differences.

OP
BULL

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #38
So please correct me if I'm wrong, the SRT (white) filter I was told by a Napa Auto guy (he looked it up in his computer) said that is for the Viper and the black Mopar filter is for the 6.2L engine. He also said the SRT (white) filter has a 16lb spring in it vs the Mopar (black) filter, which has a 12lb spring it in. I run a Napa Gold filter (Wix) (P/N 7899), which is compared to the Mopar (black) filter.

Just curious if the Viper filter is meant for a Viper, why do so many run it in their Hellcats? I think I remembering seeing (Somewhere) where someone cut the filters in half showing the differences.

I can't answer everything, but going back to the original days of the "switch", the "investigation" into the filters by members (not me) convinced us that the -041 filter, at least by specifications, was a better filter.

I've always taken that at face value, but also backed it up with Blackstone reports.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
On my 6.1 the oil pressure goes 75-77 immediately on cold start up when its warm out(75-90 degrees). When cold (45 deg or less it's at 80-82). I'm sure the Cat's run about the same. The whole purpose was to keep as much filtered oil going through motor at cold startup with the stronger spring, but if it's restricting flow while warm then?...what's the purpose. I have used Pure One (Purolator) and the WIX (which was mentioned as a poss manufacture of the Mopar) but those holes were all big and round. May go back to them.
BTW Purolator made/makes a new Pure One "superduper" type filter update(can't remember the name maybe platinum?) and the holes/louvers were all squished like these. I didn't buy it. The original has big round holes so does the WIX.

Last edited:

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
On my 6.1 the oil pressure goes 75-77 immediately on cold start up when its warm out(75-90 degrees). When cold (45 deg or less it's at 80-82). I'm sure the Cat's run about the same. The whole purpose was to keep as much filtered oil going through motor at cold startup with the stronger spring, but if it's restricting flow while warm then?...what's the purpose. I have used Pure One (Purolator) and the WIX (which was mentioned as a poss manufacture of the Mopar) but those holes were all big and round. May go back to them.
BTW Purolator made/makes a new Pure One "superduper" type filter update(can't remember the name maybe platinum?) and the holes/louvers were all squished like these. I didn't buy it. The original has big round holes so does the WIX.
WIX has always made good filters from what I've known. Lots of my racer buddies run Napa Gold (WIX) filters as well as Schaeffer's oil I run as well. Just started running Schaeffer's (2nd oil change). It has a light green tint to it. As long as it's a Mopar product or equivalent I'm sure it's fine. I just prefer to run top notch products in my car that (personal opinion) meet and exceed Dodge's requirements. Quality issues can happen with anything, but seeing defective filters isn't something I'd like to see. Likely just a bad batch of filters made. However, if it were me I'd keep an eye on the filter quality and if it went bad again switch to something else. I'm pretty picky when it comes to oil changes, I realize not everyone changes their own oil like I do though. I'm thinking once I'm out of warranty I'll likely do oil changes yearly. Right now I do it 2 times a year to meet my warranty guidelines. I had 700 miles on my last oil change over 6 months, now the car will sit on a tender until spring where I will do an oil change again lol. Damn winter, haha. My oil levels have been good too, no issues with the car eating oil. The catch can had about 10 drops of oil in it, lol. I've made about 15-20 passes in it as well. Loving the car, hate to put it away for winter time!