Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

So where are we on buying unlocked ECMs and running them for mods, and then swapping the original back in for service?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I thought this would never work because simply taking the original out should trigger a tag in the interconnected control system that would flag the swap. Is that the case? No way to swap in and out and maintain the warranty?

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
When I had my Cats done the tech himself swapped my original pcm in, flashed it, and put my unlocked pcm back in. I had just put new cats on myself during engine rebuild so I brought my old cats and O2 sensors with me and traded them in for new stuff which went in my trunk, all that stuff is in my attic with the labels still on them. But for warranty work like complete engine or trans replacement a upper echelon wheel usually visits and takes a scan themselves and finds codes that pcm was swapped and denies big claims. Now I have heard that aftermarket warranties don’t catch as much as I know a few people that have had blowers replaced under warranty with modified cars. It’s all a gamble once you mod.

TraxMoe

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Heartland
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
POS slasher
If you're worried about losing your warranty, just don't do it until after the warranty has expired. Scamming the car companies warranty is paramount to insurance fraud and it's best to play by the rules. Karma will eventually catch up to you.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Taking mine in today and simply paying them to double check and bleed my braking system. Told my favorite service advisor to please ignore its sounds, and smells, I’ll be unloading it from a flatbed out back. Also, there won’t be any need for them to place anything electronic into my vehicle to check the status on anything. He understands completely. They all subscribe to my UTube entertainment channel. My favorite tech is looking forward to test driving it later this morning, himself:D

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Taking mine in today and simply paying them to double check and bleed my braking system. Told my favorite service advisor to please ignore its sounds, and smells, I’ll be unloading it from a flatbed out back. Also, there won’t be any need for them to place anything electronic into my vehicle to check the status on anything. He understands completely. They all subscribe to my UTube entertainment channel. My favorite tech is looking forward to test driving it later this morning, himself:D
you have a youtube channel?

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
OK Karen......

If you're worried about losing your warranty, just don't do it until after the warranty has expired. Scamming the car companies warranty is paramount to insurance fraud and it's best to play by the rules. Karma will eventually catch up to you.

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
Just to let u know once uve tuned ur car thru ur ECU the dealer will see it. Doesnt matter that u swapped the original ECU back in. There is still a foot print.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
you have a youtube channel?
The road course videos are there. You and @Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC can watch and listen to the fruits of some recent work on the girl.… this version runs the configuration that dialed out some throttle response you drag racers like that was killing me, along with holding off the power … we will let it rip in a couple of weeks when I get to the home track and can see the end of the straights!! In this video it was never held to much higher RPM’s than the upper 5000’s. The logs indicate not much power over a black key level was used.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Just to let u know once uve tuned ur car thru ur ECU the dealer will see it. Doesnt matter that u swapped the original ECU back in. There is still a foot print.
If the dealer wants to look, yes. The HP tuner device sure shows a permanent code when I look at the “status”.

ostmike

Vendor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Portersville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
The moment you swap your factory PCM back in you will have a P1400 CEL indicating the PCM has been changed. If you keep your unlocked PCM in the vehicle and your tuner disables the P1400 code the dealership will not know the PCM has been swapped when scanning with the Witech module. However, if you try to make a warranty claim it is not difficult to determine that the PCM was swapped/modified. FCA will use Chrysler diagnostic tools to determine this internally in the PCM and by visibly inspecting the PCM and/or reading it.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Could tell them your old PCM stopped working so you bought a new one.

ostmike

Vendor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Portersville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
Could tell them your old PCM stopped working so you bought a new one.
I think the only way that would fly is if you had a FCA dealer perform the PCM replacement. If you try swapping your original PCM back in and saying "you bought a new one" you would have to remove the original part# tag with VIN from your original PCM.

MJS73

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moparland
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat
Swapping the PCM instantly generates the P1400 code, which is also stored in the BCM. If you're just taking the car into the dealer for routine service or if your car is out of warranty, there's no need to do anything but if you have a warranty claim over $2,000 Mopar is going to demand photos, videos and a data dump. At that point Mopar will see the P1400 and will automatically deny your warranty claim. It doesn't matter how friendly you are with a dealer; the dealer is not going to eat your repair bill when Mopar won't pay them. That P1400 stays with the car for life, so re-installing the original PCM is a waste of time. The warranty paperwork is very clear that swapping the PCM, which is considered tampering with the emissions controls, is an instant warranty voider.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
I think the only way that would fly is if you had a FCA dealer perform the PCM replacement. If you try swapping your original PCM back in and saying "you bought a new one" you would have to remove the original part# tag with VIN from your original PCM.
Yeah, I should have added that.
Let’s try this scenario -
You go to your dealer and purchase a PCM and have them install it.
You retain your original PCM.
Are they removing the 1400 because it was a dealer service or is it just in the file that you’re on PCM #2 and disregard P1400?

We should ask DodgeCares… lol

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
What ever happened to the Direct Connection tuner, which I believe is a Diablo tuner. Full warranty maintained and i don't believe a new PCM ia needed?

Of course it might still be vaporware even though it was announced ages ago.

9e134846cb85d8ca3c3bda965c0342ee.jpg

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #16
Not considering doing it. Never saw where all this ended up and was curious. From a semi-tech background I could not believe that Dodge would leave such an easily plugged loop hole in their security system.

However, I will say I feel that voiding the warranty on the entire car because of mods is, in my opinion, a little harsh. A new intake probably has little to do with the leather of the seats puckering, etc.... From the corporate view I can see that the "death penalty" (full forfeiture of warranty) is the easiest solution and understand completely why it was implemented, but from the driver's and equity side (in the legal sense of the term) I can see the agrument for a more graduated response such as voiding the electronics and powertrain warranties and make all other warranty issues dependent upon proof that they were not related to the changes made to the automobile.

Last edited:
OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #17
The road course videos are there. You and @Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC can watch and listen to the fruits of some recent work on the girl.… this version runs the configuration that dialed out some throttle response you drag racers like that was killing me, along with holding off the power … we will let it rip in a couple of weeks when I get to the home track and can see the end of the straights!! In this video it was never held to much higher RPM’s than the upper 5000’s. The logs indicate not much power over a black key level was used.

at around the 20 second mark, what is that SUV doing on the inside of that corner?

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
at around the 20 second mark, what is that SUV doing on the inside of that corner?
The flag station worker drove it to the flag station.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #19
Duh... should have clicked for me. Thought they were filming or something

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Could have been the photographer also. They do that for money too.