Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Rock Guards and Coatings

cooldawg

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Angola
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
RAM
My HCWB is waiting for a short ride from Detroit to Ft. Wayne... Very excited, and I plan to keep this car forever. Not a DD, but I do plan to enjoy it. Cruising, shows, and to work once in a while. Definitely want to get some miles on it during warranty period.

1st off based on the threads I’ve looked at, rock guards are a must. They don’t look too bad, and my coating/ film people are backed up to end of July... Is anyone just running the guards and ceramic- with film on header, mirrors, and flairs? Should I just park it until I get the ceramic and film on those areas?

Lotta’ folks running ZL1’s. The swaims look good as well... Does the drilling involve metal or just plastic?

I’m just trying to get a feel for the amount of coverage the rock guards provide..I’ve never had ceramic done, but pictures listed here look fantastic- F8 should really pop. Does the color still pop with the film vs. exposed paint with the ceramic? I have the carbon stripes as well, so ceramic is a must- When I decided on F8, I figured the pearl would assist in hiding the film edges...

I trust the detailers I’ve chosen. They are good but expensive.

Last edited:

Beast707

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Carol Stream
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger WB M6 Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Swaim rock guards are made for WB's highly recommended. I have those, ZL1 Addons side skirts, Ceramic Coating and Xpel on flares and high risk areas. That's about all you can do and still once in a while hear pebbles banging around. I will say Xpel is worth every penny. Lot easier to replace that then have permanent damage on flares.

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
The big meats on the front are hard on everything behind them.
When I run my 9.5 wide fronts the doors, mirrors, and rear flairs don't get the road debris that the 11's produce.
So, a narrower front tire may be the answer til you can get the PPF.

IMG_3077.JPG

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
My HCWB is waiting for a short ride from Detroit to Ft. Wayne... Very excited, and I plan to keep this car forever. Not a DD, but I do plan to enjoy it. Cruising, shows, and to work once in a while. Definitely want to get some miles on it during warranty period.

1st off based on the threads I’ve looked at, rock guards are a must. They don’t look too bad, and my coating/ film people are backed up to end of July... Is anyone just running the guards and ceramic- with film on header, mirrors, and flairs? Should I just park it until I get the ceramic and film on those areas?

Lotta’ folks running ZL1’s. The swaims look good as well... Does the drilling involve metal or just plastic?

I’m just trying to get a feel for the amount of coverage the rock guards provide..I’ve never had ceramic done, but pictures listed here look fantastic- F8 should really pop. Does the color still pop with the film vs. exposed paint with the ceramic? I have the carbon stripes as well, so ceramic is a must- When I decided on F8, I figured the pearl would assist in hiding the film edges...

Hopefully this one will be in decent shape when it arrives to your dealer this time. One of the first things I did was install ZL1 rock guards...no drilling required. Last week, I also installed the ZL1 side skirts for good measure against any rock chips hopefully. I do plan to get just the front fascia on the car filmed, but that will be about it. The rock guards do seem to help a lot on there own. No way I'm going to keep mine parked waiting on film though.....its got all next winter to sit in a garage...

VARedEye

Member ID
Reactions
City
Martinsburg
State
WV
Country
United States
Vehicle
Redeye
Beast707 nailed it, that is the best you can do. Good luck and be sure to post some pics

OP
cooldawg

cooldawg

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Angola
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
RAM
Thread Starter #6
Thanks for the input. Sounds like rock guards, skirts, and film on flairs, mirrors, and front facia. I would like to think no film on lower doors given the guards/ skirts

yea, I’m nervous about the car arriving unscathed given my last experience... Could some of you throw up some photos that xbow your skirts/ guards? For I’m what little I’ve seen, they look ok.

Beast707

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Carol Stream
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thanks for the input. Sounds like rock guards, skirts, and film on flairs, mirrors, and front facia. I would like to think no film on lower doors given the guards/ skirts

yea, I’m nervous about the car arriving unscathed given my last experience... Could some of you throw up some photos that xbow your skirts/ guards? For I’m what little I’ve seen, they look ok.
I do recommend Xpel on the lower doors, QP's, and partial hood as well.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody

I just installed the skirts last week....
61404398174__E15B35D4-16C5-4816-A8F5-A03C0A41CC06.JPG

Attachments

VARedEye

Member ID
Reactions
City
Martinsburg
State
WV
Country
United States
Vehicle
Redeye
Here is mine
A809CF96-8239-4251-8AD9-0392BC0F829A.jpeg

Beast707

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Carol Stream
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Every pic I have can barely see them. Wasn't a fan at 1st. of them but once I seen them on @Octanewide car I liked them. They go nice with Swaim Guards and they do what they say. Screenshot_20190902-195034_Gallery.jpg

OP
cooldawg

cooldawg

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Angola
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
RAM
Thread Starter #11
Wow, cars look awesome. Skirts aren’t that noticeable, which is good.

Hayabusa

HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lunatic Fringe
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 WB Redeye, Sublime
The film and ceramic quartz guys are always swamped this time of year. The worst is when you've made the decision to go for it and get a rock chip going from the dealer to the film installer (ask me how I know...right in the beak...was the F-type R I had prior to the Redeye).

Xpel Ultimate Plus, CQuartz Finest Reserve, ZL-1's at this point...serious considering the skirts. Although some poo-poo the ceramic coating I've found the CQuartz product, applied by a pro, is the shiznit. The results are spectacular.

Xpel is my go to after having tried 3M and Suntek in the past. Front end, mirrors, lower doors, behind rears, flares.

Best of luck and hope your car arrives soon and in great shape!

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
Maiden voyage to the PPF shop!
Rock chip right in the front!

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

If they are really good...I would expect they would be expensive...

trancein

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Plainfield
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 ScatPack WideBody (PCP)
IF I had known about Swaim I would have ordered those instead of ZL1. I have seen Beast707 car in person and the coverage is significantly there. here is the page to order them from.

http://www.activeexhaustsolutions.com/widebody.html

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
I have got to say, the ceramic coating on my Devils rim jobs makes cleanup WAY easier!!

OP
cooldawg

cooldawg

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Angola
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
RAM
Thread Starter #17
Yea, I’m anxious to see how the ceramic works out... Been a paste wax guy since I started buying toys. One nice thing about living in the Midwest- car has been loaded, so it may arrive today!
Rock chips are a total bummer... Good thing my detailer is practically across the street from the dealership. Dealer said they would tuck it away somewhere out of the weather until detailer is ready. It does look like the swaim guards provide a bit more coverage... if it’s just drilling plastic, probably worth it.

Hayabusa

HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lunatic Fringe
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 WB Redeye, Sublime
I have got to say, the ceramic coating on my Devils rim jobs makes cleanup WAY easier!!
If they are really good...I would expect they would be expensive...
Decay: Get some IronX and watch the miracle happen on your ceramic coated wheels after you apply and use a hose to spray it off.

1971demon: You are so right. Process for ceramic coating at my guy is 2-3 days depending on the condition of the paint. Having the skills and equipment to do it right (IR heat lamps, decontamination and paint correction stuff, a facility that passes local regulations regarding chemicals, personal protection equipment, etc) is an investment in $$$ for the ceramic coat pros. Beware the dude who does it in a regular garage. CQuartz requires licensing and annual, in person training.

My guys facility below, a sterile environment for paint work!

PPF, a tale for another post...

IMG_2151.JPG

trancein

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Plainfield
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 ScatPack WideBody (PCP)
water beading affect after a rain shower yesterday....I have Avalon King Ceramic on the car and maintain with Ethos Ceramic Shampoo and P&S BeadMaker
20200629_202956.jpg

OP
cooldawg

cooldawg

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Angola
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
RAM
Thread Starter #20
Wow, that’s some beading there.

Hayabusa, sublime rocks! My wife is still pissed we ended up F8. I like em’ both. She arrived but I can’t get away till after work. Longest,,, work,, day eva. I do like the F8 sepia combo.
CF927DB5-9A02-4756-A9D0-BE3E958306FA.jpeg 9407DE83-A1BD-4539-840C-328D9B98E157.jpeg

DFC03639-E3D9-4F4C-A415-1402B02265D1.jpeg

Last edited: