Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Road Racing the beast!

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Thread Starter #41
I was watching your G-meter and it sure jumped over the "maximum skid pad results" from the factory a few times. Looked like fun; jealous.
It will do better;) thanks.
Anyone is invited to come on up. Hospitality is good in the north also, as long as it is not the dead of winter for driving.

sad

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bartlesville
State
OK
Country
United States
It will do better;) thanks.
Anyone is invited to come on up. Hospitality is good in the north also, as long as it is not the dead of winter for driving.
I need to come up.

And a stacker trailer! Lol

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #43
I need to come up.

And a stacker trailer! Lol
YOU would love it! If I can get down there sometime this "cooler" season, you need to. You will need to pick one or the other. How fast will that little sucker go?

sad

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bartlesville
State
OK
Country
United States
YOU would love it! If I can get down there sometime this "cooler" season, you need to. You will need to pick one or the other. How fast will that little sucker go?
On a long straight, the Atom will get outrun by a Hellcat or the Vette. Mine is not the turbo charged one, so as I begin to near 100 mph, the aero that’s helping me in the corners becomes my enemy.

But sub 100 or in the twisties look out. Still learning to deal with the rear engine and the pendulum effect (I’m good at spins now), but I’m carrying a lot more speed than even the Vette.

Looking back at my Hallett map, turn 2 through turn 6 is twisty and no passing. I can easily navigate that at 20 mph faster than the Hellcat and 10 more than the Vette.

I suspect the gap will get better as I get more practice. But I’m a slow learner.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #45
On a long straight, the Atom will get outrun by a Hellcat or the Vette. Mine is not the turbo charged one, so as I begin to near 100 mph, the aero that’s helping me in the corners becomes my enemy.

But sub 100 or in the twisties look out. Still learning to deal with the rear engine and the pendulum effect (I’m good at spins now), but I’m carrying a lot more speed than even the Vette.

Looking back at my Hallett map, turn 2 through turn 6 is twisty and no passing. I can easily navigate that at 20 mph faster than the Hellcat and 10 more than the Vette.

I suspect the gap will get better as I get more practice. But I’m a slow learner.
Bring the Vette for the long course. If it is the Comp course, the Atom would be a blast. That was the config I used with the Ford Spec racer. I never felt I was driving it to its limits, but it was a challenge and real fun. I feel and agree, I need LOTS more practice wth one of those. In three days (two wet) I never got the courage to really let it run through some of those corners. Why do I know that? An instructor or two was ghosting us for closeup and personal views before we could get certified for the SCCA License. They blew most of the class away when they needed to. Wet or dry;)

sad

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bartlesville
State
OK
Country
United States
I felt totally comfortable in the SRF. To me, it felt balanced. The Atom is not nearly as easy to drive as it was. Hehe.

I was in a gen 1 SRF. Instructor had to switch to gen 2 in order to be able to be able to catch us.

What I really had learned in TX .... or had come to trust myself at doing... was the hammer down to pull out of oversteer. Just seems wrong. But cures pendulum effect.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #47
That’s right they invaded us with gen-2 AND one gen-3. Forgot that little thing. Don’t those have like 30% more power? They handicapped me! Had some tires that went to hell somewhere north of about 100 AND did not give me a car with a speedo either! Can’t complain I had a great deal going that week.

sad

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bartlesville
State
OK
Country
United States
Yeah... i think it’s 30%-ish difference.... Ours didn’t have a speedo either. I’m betting on Hallett track, we only just barely hit 100 mph or 105 mph on the straights. I also had a great time...

I should the class again! LOL

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
Such a fun track. Does the camera / software not read 100% throttle, or were you purposefully not tromping it? The green throttle bar never filled completely (that I saw), wondered if it was just calibration becaues it sounded WOT at times, or if you were holding off on the last 5%. Also, were you alone on the track?
I've noticed the same thing. It's to the floor when the bar is that high.
The session I filmed, I was the first one out. They space everyone out. It's a 4 mile long course so 15 or so cars are still a good distance apart. That's why it was towards the end of the session before I started catching others.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
@sad , if you do make it up here, you have to bring the Atom. I don't need to drive another Vette, but an Atom . . .

sad

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bartlesville
State
OK
Country
United States
@sad , if you do make it up here, you have to bring the Atom. I don't need to drive another Vette, but an Atom . . .
seee?? I ~do~ need a stacker trailer!

Last edited:

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
@sad , I saw a white Atom at the PCA event last weekend. He wasn't in my group though. I didn't get a chance to watch him run.
Our season is now officially over. Snow possible this weekend.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
@sad , I saw a white Atom at the PCA event last weekend. He wasn't in my group though. I didn't get a chance to watch him run.

Light snow here now...

sad

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bartlesville
State
OK
Country
United States
He must have signed up under the "don't ask, don't tell" rules.... I should try and see what happens...

I like running with the PCA group here at Hallett. But the mothership of all PCA has rules against "open wheel cars" and they specifically call out, "..... like the Ariel Atom" in their bylaws. :(

I could probably get away with it here in OK.. The group is fairly laid back... And if they balk, i'm only an hour from home and can swap cars. I'm not risking it at MSRCresson (in Texas) track. That group is "by the book" too much and would never let it fly.. and I'd be 5-6 hours from home with no car to drive on the track.

Detroit Muscle

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Apple Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Very impressive.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #56
Wow, the season is over. Sorry I could not do more days, I promise to do better. I have ordered or have in my garage everything I wanted for this winter's upgrades except the front strut connector. So at least after the holidays when I want, I can get it over to have everything installed. I am going to do that Petty connector myself. My goal on this one is to tighten it up, while still retaining a good ride. I am keeping the rear springs, changing the fronts out to a set of KW's set to OEM height. I know it will tighter to drive, (nearly all the bushings will be upgraded), but I want the ride to stay close.

Just had a strange thing happen when ordering some rubber. On the DTD site it said they had zero 325/30-20 Cup 2's. I had to click "OE Ford Lincoln Mercury" before 20 were available. What do they fit? Anyway I have taken advantage of lots of great sale prices the past few days. I am really fired up. Biz at (@TRIUMPH) has accepted the challenge to make four 12" wheels I can rotate. And, they won't be black. Camber is going to be adjustable on all four corners too. I took good notes on what those tires looked like yesterday. That may help for starters. I had to bolt up the black OEM's for the winter storage/transportation that may happen next. Can't wait to drive the upgraded beast! @sad thinking we should think about Feb-Mar; anything going on then?

sad

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bartlesville
State
OK
Country
United States
Wow, the season is over. Sorry I could not do more days, I promise to do better. I have ordered or have in my garage everything I wanted for this winter's upgrades except the front strut connector. So at least after the holidays when I want, I can get it over to have everything installed. I am going to do that Petty connector myself. My goal on this one is to tighten it up, while still retaining a good ride. I am keeping the rear springs, changing the fronts out to a set of KW's set to OEM height. I know it will tighter to drive, (nearly all the bushings will be upgraded), but I want the ride to stay close.

Just had a strange thing happen when ordering some rubber. On the DTD site it said they had zero 325/30-20 Cup 2's. I had to click "OE Ford Lincoln Mercury" before 20 were available. What do they fit? Anyway I have taken advantage of lots of great sale prices the past few days. I am really fired up. Biz at (@TRIUMPH) has accepted the challenge to make four 12" wheels I can rotate. And, they won't be black. Camber is going to be adjustable on all four corners too. I took good notes on what those tires looked like yesterday. That may help for starters. I had to bolt up the black OEM's for the winter storage/transportation that may happen next. Can't wait to drive the upgraded beast! @sad thinking we should think about Feb-Mar; anything going on then?
@DGatzby yup.... Feb will be first event in 2020 @ Motorsport Ranch (Cresson, TX)... usually I do that with PCA (Porsche club)... they don’t allow the Atom tho. Would have to take the Vette.

I have also done events at that track with Apex Driving Academy. Great run events.

Right now MSRC calendar not up to date (https://www.motorsportranch.com/track-calendar/)
Apex calendar at least has a few entries (http://www.apexdrivingacademy.com/schedule.htm)

PCA will be on the 3.1 mile config.... the ones Apex currently has listed is only on the 1.7 mile config. I have done the 3.1 mile with them. I’m sure their calendar will firm up after first of the year.

Hallett season starts in March. And their calendar is nearly complete for the 2020 season. http://www.hallettracing.net/events/
3 different weekends for us mere mortals. PCA, C&G private day (I can get you in this), and HST.

Let me know on any of the above and I’ll meet you.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #58
Okay, got some goals. I'll send you a PM this morning.

BIR has some drag racing info up for 2020, nothing from the driving school yet. But, they usually start up in May.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
You're going to drive to Texas from Minnesota in February?

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #60
You're going to drive to Texas from Minnesota in February?
What do ya think? Hell, once we are south of Kansas, Dorothy, won't the sun be shining warmly if we don't lose the Cats in a ditch before that? I drove the 300c SRT to Deming in January a few years ago. After we slept somewhere in N. Texas the next day was delightful. I remember leaving DSM and it was about -15. [rockon][rockon]Car was running strong!

I know, I know, the risk is if we plan it, Ezekiel Chapter 2 will run over us.