Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Replacing Brake Fluid

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
Interesting information in this thread. Good article that Bull linked to, and the MOPAR article was good. Thanks.

Saw a YouTube video for a non-Challenger car that used the Motive Products Power Bleeder. That kit (I see there are several for different cars) would be $80-$100. Plus the syringe and the catch bottle(s). The guy did it like Bull - only used the Bleeder to provide vacuum.

I have a 10 gallon 150 psi air compressor. It sounds like using that is easy. Air compressors have drain plugs to drain condensed water from inside its air tank. So the venturi air would have to stay clear of the brake fluid to not introduce moisture. I'll try and find a YouTube video using that tool.

Here's the question I have...I was told that you can gravity drain brake fluid. That didn't sound right to me after seeing the Power Bleeder video. Has anyone ever heard of opening the MC, then opening the valves on the various brake calipers and letting gravity (siphon effect perhaps) evacuate the brake fluid? Is this in essence the pump the brakes method?

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
I had a Vacula bleeder that I gave away a few years ago. Worked perfectly.

OP
Alain

Alain

Member ID
Reactions
City
Haskell
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #43
Interesting information in this thread. Good article that Bull linked to, and the MOPAR article was good. Thanks.

Saw a YouTube video for a non-Challenger car that used the Motive Products Power Bleeder. That kit (I see there are several for different cars) would be $80-$100. Plus the syringe and the catch bottle(s). The guy did it like Bull - only used the Bleeder to provide vacuum.

I have a 10 gallon 150 psi air compressor. It sounds like using that is easy. Air compressors have drain plugs to drain condensed water from inside its air tank. So the venturi air would have to stay clear of the brake fluid to not introduce moisture. I'll try and find a YouTube video using that tool.

Here's the question I have...I was told that you can gravity drain brake fluid. That didn't sound right to me after seeing the Power Bleeder video. Has anyone ever heard of opening the MC, then opening the valves on the various brake calipers and letting gravity (siphon effect perhaps) evacuate the brake fluid? Is this in essence the pump the brakes method?
i am confused as to what you mean about the part I highlighted in your quote.

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States

Get the wife, kid, buddy, neighbor, someone to help you.
Top up master cylinder, leave the lid off, have lots of brake fluid ready to us. Put car on 4 stands, or a hoist, remove all the tires, drill hole in the lid of an empty pop bottle, then get a rubber hose that fits the bleeder, and push other end into hole in pop bottle cap.
Have the helper pump the brakes 5 times and then hold pressure on the brake pedal, put hose on bleeder, do right rear first, open bleeder with wrench, when fluid stops flowing, close bleeder, have helper pump up brakes again, and repeat 15 times per corner, stopping to top up the master cylinder ever 3 times.

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
Get the wife, kid, buddy, neighbor, someone to help you.
Top up master cylinder, leave the lid off, have lots of brake fluid ready to us. Put car on 4 stands, or a hoist, remove all the tires, drill hole in the lid of an empty pop bottle, then get a rubber hose that fits the bleeder, and push other end into hole in pop bottle cap.
Have the helper pump the brakes 5 times and then hold pressure on the brake pedal, put hose on bleeder, do right rear first, open bleeder with wrench, when fluid stops flowing, close bleeder, have helper pump up brakes again, and repeat 15 times per corner, stopping to top up the master cylinder ever 3 times.
And don’t let the master run dry.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I used the Motive bleeder exactly how it's supposed to be used with no issues. Very easy, well worth the cost of the tool.

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
State
OR
Country
United States
And don’t let the master run dry.

Thats why it gets topped off every 3 cycles.

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
State
OR
Country
United States
I used the Motive bleeder exactly how it's supposed to be used with no issues. Very easy, well worth the cost of the tool.

100%.

But he was asking about doing it manually, it won't gravity drain like he wants, but the 2 person pumping it up method will, if no vaccuum bleeder.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
100%.

But he was asking about doing it manually, it won't gravity drain like he wants, but the 2 person pumping it up method will, if no vaccuum bleeder.
Or you could buy the Motive bleeder.

I call it the "Do it yourself and don't get in a fight with your wife about how she's fucking up pushing down one damn pedal" method.

:LOL:

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
i am confused as to what you mean about the part I highlighted in your quote.
I'm confused too. I haven't seen it work. I was assuming the compressed air would be blowing across a "place" - maybe a bottle opening - and if it had moisture in it from being compressed that might contaminate the new fluid. I shouldn't have added that part to my post - should have tried to find a video showing how it works.

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
100%.

Okay, got it. Has to have suction or pressure to drain the fluid. Thanks.