Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Regular Hellcat or Redeye?

Hellcat or Redeye, what's it gonna be boy?

• Total voters
OP
Jimmy N.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thread Starter #21
Just my two cents, I don’t think there is enough difference between the 18 and 19 to make that jump. The only way it makes sense is going from a narrow body to a Widebody, but even then you’re going to lose money on your 2018 for 90hp you more than likely won’t notice.
Aside from the (noticeable) power increase, the main difference would be the hood. Which still hasn't grown on me.
And the '19 was ordered regular width, since neither of us are "dually fender" fans. But looks aside, there's a practical aspect to it.
Without the wide body and in Granite they blend in rather well, giving us an advantage over brighter colored cars on the road.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Thankfully, where I live those cases aren't rare at all. Unless I end up with a cop in front or behind me for the whole trip, the 'Cat gets unleashed every time it's out.

She almost can't upgrade from the 911 Turbo S. I think that's as good as they get. But she has made noises about getting a GT3. Less useful, more expensive, but a bit quicker.

Either way, she rarely keeps a vehicle for more than two years, so some kind of writing is on the wall.
With some luck I can convince her to replace her '17 Cayman instead. Which oddly enough is her favorite car.
Damn, get a GT-2 RS then, that will be an upgrade for her.
My buddy has a GT-3 RS and loves it. Tell her when he drove my RE last weekend, the first thing he wanted was for the Porsche to sound like our beast. He thought it was interesting it was searching for traction for as fast as he was willing to play with it anyway.

OP
Jimmy N.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thread Starter #23
I have finally figured out how to post a photo of my choices! IMG_2404.JPG

OP
Jimmy N.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thread Starter #24
Tell her when he drove my RE last weekend, the first thing he wanted was for the Porsche to sound like our beast. He thought it was interesting it was searching for traction for as fast as he was willing to play with it anyway.
Yeah, there's no comparison when it comes to sound. She frequently comments how she hears me start mine up - when she's in the barn a 1/4 mile away, with the radio on.

With the 911's AWD there are no traction issues (which is why it's quicker 0-60), and I don't think she has tried finding the limits for the Redeye yet.
If/when she does, I'd feel better about having her drive a GT 2 or 3.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Yeah, there's no comparison when it comes to sound. She frequently comments how she hears me start mine up - when she's in the barn a 1/4 mile away, with the radio on.

With the 911's AWD there are no traction issues (which is why it's quicker 0-60), and I don't think she has tried finding the limits for the Redeye yet.
If/when she does, I'd feel better about having her drive a GT 2 or 3.
Those are choice cars. The RE is safe too, but it can get going stupid fast very quickly.

OP
Jimmy N.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thread Starter #26
Those are choice cars. The RE is safe too, but it can get going stupid fast very quickly.
A big difference, according to my girlfriend, is that getting up to speed quickly is a non-event in the 911. More than once has she said "How did I get to 120??" They're quite close in the 1/4-mile, by the way.

Meanwhile, as we all know, the Hellcat makes it known that it's accelerating. A slingshot versus a cannon, if you will. The end result is about the same, but how you get there differs a lot.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Understand.

Did you go out and hook up those PS4S's yet to see how fast they are?

OP
Jimmy N.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thread Starter #28
No, sorry to say, that's one (of many things) I haven't got to yet.
Looks like it'll be spring before that happens.

Member ID
Reactions
City
thousand oaks
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye Widebody
I traded in my 2015 Hellcat M6 for the redeye and I must say, there's a whole lot more to it than an additional 90 hp. I don't track my cars, I just love to drive the hell out of them on the street. And what the redeye does better than the hellcat imho is add another level to the experience in attitude, sound, calibration, rigidity and roll on power at freeway speeds that just pulls harder, much harder. I loved my hellcat, but I don't look back. I just wanted to make the point that there's so much more than an hp difference.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
I traded in my 2015 Hellcat M6 for the redeye and I must say, there's a whole lot more to it than an additional 90 hp. I don't track my cars, I just love to drive the hell out of them on the street. And what the redeye does better than the hellcat imho is add another level to the experience in attitude, sound, calibration, rigidity and roll on power at freeway speeds that just pulls harder, much harder. I loved my hellcat, but I don't look back. I just wanted to make the point that there's so much more than an hp difference.
A lot of that is from you coming from a M6. The A8 is without question the single biggest factor in what youre feeling. I went from an A8 SRT to an A8 Hellcat and they felt similar accelerating up until just under 80/90 mph. The hp difference was much greater than 90 at 222, yet I was left somewhat disappointed by the lack of a monster difference in feeling.
I think your experience is the opposite. Coming out of a M6 is actually amplifying the difference imo. I understand it’s the Demon engine but I think the trans difference is huge in your case too.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Hey Jimmy, what a thing to ponder! :)

Be sure to let me know if you come on down to ABQ to look at cars. I don't know if Melloy has any left, but they were doing $15k off of sticker which I had never seen anything close to that before - especially for our area! They had 3 other redeyes when I got mine, another blue with black stripes, a white one and an Octane red one. I think they can do these prices through the end of the month???

I agree with what was said above, off of the drag strip I think you'd be hard pressed to notice much of a difference, especially if you are running a tune with a few mods.

On the strip though the Redeye is a beast, I had just 700 miles on mine and was running right with - if not both quicker and faster through the traps than my friends modded Hellcat that made 720 rwhp on the Southwest Speed dyno - which is in Rio Rancho.

I don't have any seat time in a stock Hellcat though so I can't really say much about how they behave and I know they did a lot to make the '19 redeyes driveable on the street. It really is fantastic and you can drive it slow pretty easily which is nice for my wife.

I will also add that while you can drive it slow, it's a huge step up from my Scat Pack which I thought was a street beast. The 392 A8 is a great combo that never feels slow and can fight well above its weight class...but this redeye is so much faster when I want it to be!

Last edited:
OP
Jimmy N.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thread Starter #32
And what the redeye does better than the hellcat imho is add another level to the experience in attitude, sound, calibration, rigidity and roll on power at freeway speeds...
Interestingly enough, yesterday I commented on how much quieter the Redeye is than my Hellcat, as my girlfriend came home from shopping.
She claims it just purrs, and doesn't need to be loud and obnoxious since it's quicker and faster than mine.

I have yet to drive it after it got broken in, so I can't really say how different they are, other than that hers obviously pulled away from mine very noticeably from about 100 mph and up.

OP
Jimmy N.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thread Starter #33
Be sure to let me know if you come on down to ABQ to look at cars.
I don;t have any seat time ina stock Hellcat though so I can;t really say much about how they behave and I know they did a lot to make the '19 redeyes driveable on the street. It really is fantastic and you can drive it slow pretty easily which is nice for the my wife.
They can be driven slowly?!? Please, don't let my girlfriend know that.

Anyway, I won't be looking at any more Challengers, Eric, two is plenty for us. Plus, we're out of garage space now. I need to sell several cars and not just for that reason.

But when you do get up here, you can get some seat time in a pedestrian Hellcat.

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
One of these days my girlfriend will pop the question, and I truly don't know the answer yet.
No, no, it's not about marriage - that I have successfully avoided for years now. This is strictly Challenger related.

Those of you who migrated over from the forum that shouldn't be named may remember the backstory. When I pointed out (repeatedly, but still) that my Hellcat was faster and quicker in the 1/4 than her 911 Turbo S, and called her "first loser", she decided to shut me up and bought a Redeye.

Of course, my devious plan was that she'd get tired of it real quick (she buys a new car at least once a year) and I could pick it up for somewhat cheap within a couple of months.
Well, we're coming up on a year since it was ordered, to my liking, and she has shown no sign of letting go of it. Instead, she drives it quite a lot.
Still, at some point it'll come up.

She'll start with "Remember when you said..." and might end it with "What's it gonna be boy... yes. or no?". The first time I might get by with saying "Let me sleep on it..."

So here's my dilemma. I have grown very fond of my '18 Hellcat. Very. We're good friends now, and I know and trust it. I really like it when I completely befriend a car. Especially when it's one I didn't think it would ever happen with, but that's a different story.

Sure, her '19 Redeye is nothing to sneeze at, but...I prefer the hood and stripes on mine (both are Granite). I also prefer my wheels, but those are easy enough to change.
Actually, I even bought a stripe kit for a '19 some time ago, in preparation of what I may no longer want.

Technically I'm already half owner of the Redeye, having put money into the purchase to ease the pain later, but I'm getting cold feet. And it's not about the money anyway.
I'd appreciate your input here, guys (and gals). I'm already basking in the paradise of the dashboard light. Do I really want to abandon the car I know and love for an extra 90 hp?
I have a very difficult time getting rid of cars as well (which is why I have way more than I need). The one option I always seem to come up with is both... Keep yours and hers (lol) - that would be my sad excuse of a choice.
Which is why after 7 cars (and I said no more - I am on the wagon!!!) - I ended up with a Hellcat in my garage... Well? She said buy what I want!! I am a car addict, but, I dont want to be cured...

Phizzle

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Nah, save the cash you would've spent on a Redeye and put it towards your Hellcat instead. Should be as fast if not quicker than a Redeye with some small mods.

Now, if you have a 392/Scat Pack, by all means, upgrade, because you'll notice that difference.

OP
Jimmy N.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thread Starter #36
I have a very difficult time getting rid of cars as well (which is why I have way more than I need). The one option I always seem to come up with is both... Keep yours and hers (lol) - that would be my sad excuse of a choice.
Which is why after 7 cars (and I said no more - I am on the wagon!!!) - I ended up with a Hellcat in my garage... Well? She said buy what I want!! I am a car addict, but, I dont want to be cured...
I'm trying to get down to 15, or so, which is why I should sell the Super Seven, Bugeye, and a couple of MGBs.
Since I don't get to drive all that much, spreading it between several vehicles makes it worse - to the point that I had to put StaBil in my "daily driver".

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
One of these days my girlfriend will pop the question, and I truly don't know the answer yet.
No, no, it's not about marriage - that I have successfully avoided for years now. This is strictly Challenger related.

Those of you who migrated over from the forum that shouldn't be named may remember the backstory. When I pointed out (repeatedly, but still) that my Hellcat was faster and quicker in the 1/4 than her 911 Turbo S, and called her "first loser", she decided to shut me up and bought a Redeye.

Of course, my devious plan was that she'd get tired of it real quick (she buys a new car at least once a year) and I could pick it up for somewhat cheap within a couple of months.
Well, we're coming up on a year since it was ordered, to my liking, and she has shown no sign of letting go of it. Instead, she drives it quite a lot.
Still, at some point it'll come up.

She'll start with "Remember when you said..." and might end it with "What's it gonna be boy... yes. or no?". The first time I might get by with saying "Let me sleep on it..."

So here's my dilemma. I have grown very fond of my '18 Hellcat. Very. We're good friends now, and I know and trust it. I really like it when I completely befriend a car. Especially when it's one I didn't think it would ever happen with, but that's a different story.

Sure, her '19 Redeye is nothing to sneeze at, but...I prefer the hood and stripes on mine (both are Granite). I also prefer my wheels, but those are easy enough to change.
Actually, I even bought a stripe kit for a '19 some time ago, in preparation of what I may no longer want.

Technically I'm already half owner of the Redeye, having put money into the purchase to ease the pain later, but I'm getting cold feet. And it's not about the money anyway.
I'd appreciate your input here, guys (and gals). I'm already basking in the paradise of the dashboard light. Do I really want to abandon the car I know and love for an extra 90 hp?

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Let's sea A. I did not reply to this post. B, I would have to agree with gentle man, C except as youz knows I do not have a girl friends, at this point no friends, I wood not buy a person of concerns, female of permeance, or performance wize, I have learned. Wish the best for him, but I guess my site has here been wacked.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Waxhaw
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye
If you want to be stopped at third base, by all means, stay put. If you want to make it home, you have to go for it!