Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Regular Hellcat or Redeye?

Hellcat or Redeye, what's it gonna be boy?

• Total voters

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
One of these days my girlfriend will pop the question, and I truly don't know the answer yet.
No, no, it's not about marriage - that I have successfully avoided for years now. This is strictly Challenger related.

Those of you who migrated over from the forum that shouldn't be named may remember the backstory. When I pointed out (repeatedly, but still) that my Hellcat was faster and quicker in the 1/4 than her 911 Turbo S, and called her "first loser", she decided to shut me up and bought a Redeye.

Of course, my devious plan was that she'd get tired of it real quick (she buys a new car at least once a year) and I could pick it up for somewhat cheap within a couple of months.
Well, we're coming up on a year since it was ordered, to my liking, and she has shown no sign of letting go of it. Instead, she drives it quite a lot.
Still, at some point it'll come up.

She'll start with "Remember when you said..." and might end it with "What's it gonna be boy... yes. or no?". The first time I might get by with saying "Let me sleep on it..."

So here's my dilemma. I have grown very fond of my '18 Hellcat. Very. We're good friends now, and I know and trust it. I really like it when I completely befriend a car. Especially when it's one I didn't think it would ever happen with, but that's a different story.

Sure, her '19 Redeye is nothing to sneeze at, but...I prefer the hood and stripes on mine (both are Granite). I also prefer my wheels, but those are easy enough to change.
Actually, I even bought a stripe kit for a '19 some time ago, in preparation of what I may no longer want.

Technically I'm already half owner of the Redeye, having put money into the purchase to ease the pain later, but I'm getting cold feet. And it's not about the money anyway.
I'd appreciate your input here, guys (and gals). I'm already basking in the paradise of the dashboard light. Do I really want to abandon the car I know and love for an extra 90 hp?

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I keep asking the same question. I love my 2017 HC M6. I befriend my cars too, and I am smitten. But I keep seeing these new RE's posted and I get the itch. Many have said just do a mild upgrade and bam, you got the power of a RE. But then my HC still on warranty, and I did buy an extended warranty too, so there's that.
So I keep seeing 3 choices:
-Sit tight and just enjoy...HC is wild right out of the box, esp once you address tire/wheels.
-Caution to the wind, do a power upgrade and get more grins from my current bud.
-Get wilder with RE, esp if can get factory rebate. Sounds like with gf, you may even have a better deal.
Sorry, probably not much help, but know ur not alone in your pondering. I was meeting my wife at the dealer to have my wife's Charger HC serviced, saw the Challenger HC. Camaro gone, Challenger mine 'bout 3 hrs later.
I'm tryin to avoid the dealership......

Tsubahog

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fl
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Baby don't you hear my heart
You got it drowning out the radio
I've been waiting so long
For you to come along and have some fun
And I gotta let you know
No you're never gonna regret it
So open up your eyes I got a big surprise
It'll feel all right
Well I wanna make your motor run

Said the Redeye.....:cool:

Read more: Meat Loaf - Paradise By The Dashboard Light Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
I often wrestle with this same nagging question in my head. In the end it came down to NO. Unless there’s a refresh that I like a lot to go along with the 90hp, it’s a no. The RE is far too much like my Hellcat to go spending that kind of money. I did this with my 2015 SRT and when I bought my Hellcat, it was almost a let down as far the overall car as a whole went. It was basically the exact same car but with 222 more hp. Yes it has gobs more power, but the novelty factor and excitement were basically used up on the SRT lol. And that was with 222 more hp, not just 90.
So now i’ve decided not to do that again unless there is a refresh as well. I dont want to buy a third Challenger that is basically the same as my first one.

OP
Jimmy N.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thread Starter #5
Thanks, JRabq.

Oddly enough, I don't crave the extra power. Seeing the traction control light still flicker at 100 mph (with good tires) is enough to keep me happy. For now, anyway.

Dealership? Neither car will go anywhere near one if I can help it. Both got their early (about 500 miles) oil change, and I'm just dumb enough to do the 6-month ones...even though neither one is driven in the winter.

In your case avoiding the dealership is for a different reason. I would switch, though, simply because that you just can't beat the speed of shifting with an 8-speed.

Maybe I should let you know when my girlfriend is ready to give hers up? You'll find her at the ABQ Costco every now and then.

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I missed that, you are in albuq?

OP
Jimmy N.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thread Starter #7
No, but close.
If you consider 150 miles close...which with a Hellcat it is.

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
150 close..which direction?

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
No, but close.
If you consider 150 miles close...which with a Hellcat it is.
And pray tell, what color is her RE?

OP
Jimmy N.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thread Starter #10
North, JRabq, north to where the fun roads are. Stop at the CO border and come back just a coupe of miles if you didn't happen to see our Granite Challengers in time.

There seems to be two white ones in the 'hood, too, but I don't know what model they are yet.

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Granite, really nice! The drives north are great. Last one was to Pagosa Springs...great run, just watch out for the deer and elk!

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Red Eye 1969 Hellcat Cuda
I went from a B5 R/T Classic w/automatic, to a B5 Scat Pack Shaker 6 speed (REALLY a FUN car), to a B5 RedEye (with another RE in between that I'm not suppose to talk about). In each case, I was moving up considerably each time, so the decisions were easy.

My recommendation to those considering an upgrade from a Hellcat to a RE, keep you money in the bank UNLESS you actively drag race your car. It would definitely be an upgrade, and with more potential. If you just drive your car on the street and highway, you really won't feel or know the difference. Or at least, the difference you'd feel is not likely worth all the money you're going to lose on the prior HC and then spend additionally on the RE.

If you drag race your car on the track, you'd certainly see the difference on your time slip and there's probably a few more cars that you'll be leaving behind. Plus, if you race on a road course, you'd certainly want a wide body. I think if I had already owned a Hellcat, I doubt I'd have traded up.

Hunter

9000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
One of these days my girlfriend will pop the question, and I truly don't know the answer yet.
No, no, it's not about marriage - that I have successfully avoided for years now. This is strictly Challenger related.

Those of you who migrated over from the forum that shouldn't be named may remember the backstory. When I pointed out (repeatedly, but still) that my Hellcat was faster and quicker in the 1/4 than her 911 Turbo S, and called her "first loser", she decided to shut me up and bought a Redeye.

Of course, my devious plan was that she'd get tired of it real quick (she buys a new car at least once a year) and I could pick it up for somewhat cheap within a couple of months.
Well, we're coming up on a year since it was ordered, to my liking, and she has shown no sign of letting go of it. Instead, she drives it quite a lot.
Still, at some point it'll come up.

She'll start with "Remember when you said..." and might end it with "What's it gonna be boy... yes. or no?". The first time I might get by with saying "Let me sleep on it..."

So here's my dilemma. I have grown very fond of my '18 Hellcat. Very. We're good friends now, and I know and trust it. I really like it when I completely befriend a car. Especially when it's one I didn't think it would ever happen with, but that's a different story.

Sure, her '19 Redeye is nothing to sneeze at, but...I prefer the hood and stripes on mine (both are Granite). I also prefer my wheels, but those are easy enough to change.
Actually, I even bought a stripe kit for a '19 some time ago, in preparation of what I may no longer want.

Technically I'm already half owner of the Redeye, having put money into the purchase to ease the pain later, but I'm getting cold feet. And it's not about the money anyway.
I'd appreciate your input here, guys (and gals). I'm already basking in the paradise of the dashboard light. Do I really want to abandon the car I know and love for an extra 90 hp?
Love the Meatloaf homage.
Depends on how you want to use it.
A daily driver. Keep the 18 Hellcat.
Lots of track time. Trade for the Red Eye.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Jimmy, if you are only on the street you can't use the extra power from the RE except in very rare cases anyway. Keep telling her how nice it is and reinforce to her how much she must like it. Tell her to sell the Porsche and upgrade that one.

OP
Jimmy N.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thread Starter #15
Granite, really nice! The drives north are great. Last one was to Pagosa Springs...great run, just watch out for the deer and elk!
Darn, you drove right by me...well, within a mile. Let me know when your next trip to Pagosa is. I'll be going there Tuesday, no matter what.
That section of 84 is my favorite, and where most of my triple digit driving takes place.

Elk and deer? We have an agreement: They can eat all the grass they want here (they tend to come by daily) as long as they don't get in front of me on the road.

By the way, I know from experience that it's better to drive fast when it comes to deer. Got lectured for going a wee bit fast in my little English sports car, so I slowed down for a while.
Sure enough, all the deer now had ample time to get on the road in front of me, leading to a few near misses. A fact that I later informed the cop about.

OP
Jimmy N.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thread Starter #16
If you just drive your car on the street and highway, you really won't feel or know the difference. Or at least, the difference you'd feel is not likely worth all the money you're going to lose on the prior HC and then spend additionally on the RE.
Oh, there was a very noticeable difference when we pitted the two against each other. After all, 12% more power is 12% more.

In normal driving, for me it would mean maybe getting past five cars is a short passing zone, instead of just four.
But is that gain worth losing the '18 hood I prefer? And having to (hopefully) befriend a new-to-me car?

OP
Jimmy N.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thread Starter #17
Jimmy, if you are only on the street you can't use the extra power from the RE except in very rare cases anyway. Keep telling her how nice it is and reinforce to her how much she must like it. Tell her to sell the Porsche and upgrade that one.
Thankfully, where I live those cases aren't rare at all. Unless I end up with a cop in front or behind me for the whole trip, the 'Cat gets unleashed every time it's out.

She almost can't upgrade from the 911 Turbo S. I think that's as good as they get. But she has made noises about getting a GT3. Less useful, more expensive, but a bit quicker.

Either way, she rarely keeps a vehicle for more than two years, so some kind of writing is on the wall.
With some luck I can convince her to replace her '17 Cayman instead. Which oddly enough is her favorite car.

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Darn, you drove right by me...well, within a mile. Let me know when your next trip to Pagosa is. I'll be going there Tuesday, no matter what.
That section of 84 is my favorite, and where most of my triple digit driving takes place.

Elk and deer? We have an agreement: They can eat all the grass they want here (they tend to come by daily) as long as they don't get in front of me on the road.

By the way, I know from experience that it's better to drive fast when it comes to deer. Got lectured for going a wee bit fast in my little English sports car, so I slowed down for a while.
Sure enough, all the deer now had ample time to get on the road in front of me, leading to a few near misses. A fact that I later informed the cop about.
That part of the drive on 84 is excellent. I take 550 to 537, then north thru Dulce on the way to 84. About 5-10 miles north after turn onto 537, there is a deer/elk crossing area. I took that drive predawn last year and there were freakin animals everywhere...on the road, on the edge of road...groups of 10 just within 50 ft of road.
That was 10-20 mph driving, crazy! Passed that, and rest was so fun!
I've done that drive in 944 turbo and HC...believe or not, HC wayy more fun. And what British car ? I had a TR6 and MGBGT long ago...technology has come a long way!

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
Just my two cents, I don’t think there is enough difference between the 18 and 19 to make that jump. The only way it makes sense is going from a narrow body to a Widebody, but even then you’re going to lose money on your 2018 for 90hp you more than likely won’t notice.

OP
Jimmy N.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thread Starter #20
JRabq, you should come up through Santa Fe instead. Once past Abiqui it gets nice.
Admittedly, your route is still on my list...never driven that one yet.

The car in question was an MGB. And I really should sell that one, And the MGBGT. And the Bugeye, and the Lotus Super Seven replica, since I never drive them anymore. Like you said, the Challenger is way more fun.