Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

RacerX

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
ricerx lol

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I posted a while back that my Demon 170 was over filled by AT LEAST a quart from the factory. I even posted pics of the dip stick. Many others have said theirs was the same way.

Over filled is about as bad as under filled IMO. I'd not wanna be doing hard high RPM pulls with it over filled like mine was. Wonder if his was the same?

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
I posted a while back that my Demon 170 was over filled by AT LEAST a quart from the factory. I even posted pics of the dip stick. Many others have said theirs was the same way.

Over filled is about as bad as under filled IMO. I'd not wanna be doing hard high RPM pulls with it over filled like mine was. Wonder if his was the same?
Probably couldn't find the dipstick

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
A good visual on being over filled

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
During burnout car went into limp mode and threw these codes. Will only drive in reverse won't go forward at all.
Screenshot_20240425_180458_Facebook.jpg

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Red/Red/Redeye

My Redeye was overfilled by a quart, too. That was another reason I changed oil early. After fully draining the pan, cooler, and replacing the filter, and pouring in the amount listed in the specs, it showed exactly at the full line on the dipstick after the restart.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Tampa
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Demon 170
Curious why he doesn’t data log during his passes, can’t see what the car is doing under those conditions, and u fortunately a time slip and video doesn’t really help much for diagnoses. Neither do the codes unless they’re able to see a freeze frame of what other conditions were when the faults set. The dealer will take the micropod (which has built in data logging storage) and try to replicate the conditions, but I doubt they’re taking his car down the track lol
I typically data logged all my passes with my modded cars but this is a bone stock car with no tuning! I just loaded the new Beta HP tuners software on my new laptop but I was waiting on a profile from a tuner I have on see what n the past. With only a hand full of passes on an untuned car I didn’t think I was going to run into issues obviously

Member ID
Reactions
City
Tampa
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Demon 170
That fukn idiot probably ran the oil low. He says he checked it more than once I think he's full of shit! He probably changed the oil and didnt put the right amount back in and now he's making that clear in his video that the oil level was proper so Dodge warranties it smh.

Dude is so annoying havent watched any of his videos in the last year hes such a fukn tool! His whole crying like a little girl when he couldnt get the Demon 170 originally really showed what little panzy he is!
Wow… you don’t know me nor do you know anything about my racing background and credentials .. what is going so wrong in your life where you feel the need to get on a PUBLIC FORUM and bash someone you have never met and who has never said anything negative about you? It makes you look incredibly immature! If you have an issue with me for whatever reason .. reach out to me like a grown up .. I’m pretty easy to find! To call me an idiot, annoying, a tool, etc really shows everyone here what kind of person you are!

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
I hope they get to the bottom of it, understandable to not expect issues. You can data log on any car without unlocking it, regular hellcat channels should work for it I’d think with HP tuners to see what it’s doing. It’s a shame you weren’t logging, because that could have provided valuable information to dodge and the techs to hopefully find the root causes

Last edited:

2ndgen

Member ID
Reactions
City
Orem
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Well, it's still too early to say, but from what's been shared here and in some other threads it seems that Dodge may have thrown a hail mary to get the D170 out the door and not bothered to create a solid product first. What with the reports that the tune isn't even safe for pump gas, /multiple/ reports of having the oil being severely overfilled, and now at least one if not more very early engine failures...
What's most surprising to me is that the tune isn't even safe for pump gas. I mean, there's been tuners pushing higher HP out of the 6.2s for years now, with very safe, reliable tunes--and Dodge's own factory engineers couldn't manage the same? Something doesn't add up here.

The Englishman

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2018 Demon
Gonna be waiting a long time for Dodge engineers to get back to you ,they’ve all been sacked🤔😳

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
My Redeye was overfilled by a quart, too. That was another reason I changed oil early. After fully draining the pan, cooler, and replacing the filter, and pouring in the amount listed in the specs, it showed exactly at the full line on the dipstick after the restart.
I don’t remember looking at the oil level except after delivery. Carefully drove it around some streets then, my notes say …
IMG_8500.png

Member ID
Reactions
City
The Triad
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Dodge Demon 170
I guess Dodge really was "blowing engines." Maybe they shouldn't have fired engineers since 2021... 400 just let go this year alone!
1714135715671.png

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Just watched the video @45-70govt posted, so maybe the extra oil in the Demon 170 isn't a huge deal. I wish we could get some feedback from the engineers on what's the right amount. Someone will say RTFM but they don't list the Demon 170 (not even the Hellcat) on the materials I have. They stop at the 5.7 for some reason.

As for data logging, I'd recommend data logging every pass in this car. Yes it's a factory stock car, but it's still 22psi, 1000HP, flex fuel car and it won't take much to go wrong to have a big problem. A log "might" catch something before it's bad or tell you what happened if it does.

Wonder how replacement engines will be viewed from the collector community. Will they be VIN stamped or ?

I did see another where the crank pulley ate through the oil cover and gouged up the crank as well.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Columbia
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Scat Pack Shaker
Just watched the video @45-70govt posted, so maybe the extra oil in the Demon 170 isn't a huge deal. I wish we could get some feedback from the engineers on what's the right amount. Someone will say RTFM but they don't list the Demon 170 (not even the Hellcat) on the materials I have. They stop at the 5.7 for some reason.

As for data logging, I'd recommend data logging every pass in this car. Yes it's a factory stock car, but it's still 22psi, 1000HP, flex fuel car and it won't take much to go wrong to have a big problem. A log "might" catch something before it's bad or tell you what happened if it does.

Wonder how replacement engines will be viewed from the collector community. Will they be VIN stamped or ?

I did see another where the crank pulley ate through the oil cover and gouged up the crank as well.
Yeah it seems like it takes a lot more than a quart over to start causing a problem. I know if it’s way overfilled it can rob some hp if the crank is spinning through the oil in the pan. Thats why high hp, high rpm engines use a crank scraper.

As far as a replacement engine I thought Dodge quit putting vin#’s on actual engines a few years ago. I could be wrong about that though.