Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

"Project Demons Breath"

Hellion

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Johnstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
The gold wrap is great stuff to help keep heat away. We made a custom air box for my car. I put the gold wrap on the inside so you don't see it. Then wrapped the outside with carbon fiber. Something to think about in the future. Your build is moving right along.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Lol I was going to say king Midas or Francisco de Orellana but yours is funnier .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk
Not going to lie it looks pretty cool. Like others have said it has that NASA look to it.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
I want all the numbers... can't hide behind those.

OP
Hpindy

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #24
The gold wrap is great stuff to help keep heat away. We made a custom air box for my car. I put the gold wrap on the inside so you don't see it. Then wrapped the outside with carbon fiber. Something to think about in the future. Your build is moving right along.

It's funny you should mention putting it on the inside. I called DEI and had a lengthy conversation with them about just that . That was my plan originally for the stealth look . They told me it's most efficient on the out side and putting it on the inside would loose most of its efficiency. So I chose function over fashion. In the future I may put another layer on the inside which will help .

OP
Hpindy

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #25
I want all the numbers... can't hide behind those.
I was thinking about it last night . I am going to post flow number for the following .

Stock air box with stock filter

Stock air box with K&N drop in

Stock air box with no filter

lMI intake

JLT intake

What pressure should I use ? The manufacturers seem to all use different pressures from each other .

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
I was thinking about it last night . I am going to post flow number for the following .

Stock air box with stock filter

Stock air box with K&N drop in

Stock air box with no filter

lMI intake

JLT intake

What pressure should I use ? The manufacturers seem to all use different pressures from each other .
There was a discussion on the other forum about two air filters (one from a 1320 and one from HC), and if I remember right their flow ratings were measured at 2 in of H2O.

Scurries off to check...

Yup, 2 inches of water. Keep in mind these are in a low vacuum environment. However, if you wanted be really accurate you would put a pressure transducer in line (pre-throttle body) to see what the actual operating "pressure" is from idle to redline, and then choose some key datum points along that curve to test each intake. This is pretty easily achieved in HP Tuners.

The next thing you should consider, which I am sure you have, is the actual flow rate as installed in the car. The measured/calculated air mass is a huge tell in a real world application. The best bet would be to baseline the car with the stock intake in place and determine where your air flow error (commanded power enrichment (PE) vs PE Error) stands. Then add each intake in succession, resetting the Short and Long Term Fuel Trims between intakes. You'll probably need upwards of three passes on each intake for the ECM to learn and adjust. Again my experience with the compensatory rates in the Dodge software is NIL at this stage (still waiting on my car). But, that is the theory.

The last thing I would offer is flowing a 4" tube with a bellmouth/velocity stack on the end.

OP
Hpindy

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #27
There was a discussion on the other forum about two air filters (one from a 1320 and one from HC), and if I remember right their flow ratings were measured at 2 in of H2O.

Scurries off to check...

Yup, 2 inches of water. Keep in mind these are in a low vacuum environment. However, if you wanted be really accurate you would put a pressure transducer in line (pre-throttle body) to see what the actual operating "pressure" is from idle to redline, and then choose some key datum points along that curve to test each intake. This is pretty easily achieved in HP Tuners.

The next thing you should consider, which I am sure you have, is the actual flow rate as installed in the car. The measured/calculated air mass is a huge tell in a real world application. The best bet would be to baseline the car with the stock intake in place and determine where your air flow error (commanded power enrichment (PE) vs PE Error) stands. Then add each intake in succession, resetting the Short and Long Term Fuel Trims between intakes. You'll probably need upwards of three passes on each intake for the ECM to learn and adjust. Again my experience with the compensatory rates in the Dodge software is NIL at this stage (still waiting on my car). But, that is the theory.

The last thing I would offer is flowing a 4" tube with a bellmouth/velocity stack on the end.
I will use 2 in H2O has a pressure . ( I remember carburetors were always rated at 1.5 in H2O) .
I planed on data logging( I have hp tuners) everything and doing at least 3 runs with each intake . Then I can sift through all the data and see what i can find. I don't think the stock 2015-2018 hellcat air box can flow enough volume to support a modified engine . The engineers did a fantastic job designing it for a STOCK engine . But once you up the anti all bets are off. In a perfect world I would have a demon hood and air box and be done with it . But I can't get my hands on a hood so I must test what's available to me .

OP
Hpindy

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #28
I think my car is broken ..... I was cruising along the highway today with the cruise set at 75 mph and a charger pulls up beside me and gives it a rev to say hi . So I go to do the same but the tires go up in smoke instantly and the back if the car shoots side ways .... This was in full street mode with full traction control on. WTF . I need to see if I can up the traction control in street mode . Lol

I'm definitely getting some new tires over the winter . But which ones? I do a lot of road trips and I worry about drag radials if I get caught in the rain........

OP
Hpindy

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #29
Can anyone spot what I done in these pics? Lol

OP
Hpindy

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #30
It's a JLT air box with DEI reflect-A-gold heat barrier on the outside with a LMI intake tube and filter with a outerwear prefilter . I'm still working on completely sealing it to my hood . It's a theory I have to try and get the best of both worlds ( volume and cooler air) .

Inrfire

Member ID
Reactions
City
Omaha
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I was cleaning out a cupboard in my shop and found a few sheets of DEI Reflect-A-Gold heat barrier . Soooo I figured why not . I figure it can't hurt . I'm trying to keep the aircharge cool.Plus I put a thicker foam seal on the bottom of the air box . I have enough to do the JLT air box once I get it too .
Check out the bling!!

The Eagle has landed! And it is in something very fast!!!

OP
Hpindy

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #32
I did an install of the arc angel battery today. It is the updated version . I still had to trim the battery hold down on my car . Only about 1/4 and I elongated the hole a about the same . . It was very minor . You can see in the pic the plastic hold down bump on the arc angel is just a tad bigger then my stock battery. I'm not sure if everyone will have this issue .

Old battery = 45lbs
Arc angel = 23lbs

Inrfire

Member ID
Reactions
City
Omaha
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Wonder what the sound system weighs. Not saying anything bad about it, just curious! Does it sound good?

OP
Hpindy

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #34
Wonder what the sound system weighs. Not saying anything bad about it, just curious! Does it sound good?
I believe the subwoofer is about 12lbs . Speedy a weight reduction video so he has the total weight there . For a factory sound system I'm very happy with it.

Inrfire

Member ID
Reactions
City
Omaha
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thats not much for the enjoyment you get out of it. Talking about weight reductions, I could lose some in body fat lol.

Demon1

500 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Naples
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Demon
Thats not much for the enjoyment you get out of it. Talking about weight reductions, I could lose some in body fat lol.
Most of us could use a little trim of body fat.

Inrfire

Member ID
Reactions
City
Omaha
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Most of us could use a little trim of body fat.
I seriously need to lose 50. . I have good stamina, at the food buffet. lol

OP
Hpindy

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #38
The air if finally cooling down . I'm trying to make it to the track September 14 for a test of the 3 intakes. It will be interesting.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I thought there was some way to use a longer bolt with the Arc Angel battery and not have to cut the plate?

OP
Hpindy

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #40
I thought there was some way to use a longer bolt with the Arc Angel battery and not have to cut the plate?
That might work. Or get the hold down from a "cop car" hold down clamp as it is much shorter .