Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Original Black Ghost up for auction at Mecum this spring...

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
St... ...ah... ...pit!

I do not have room on my shelf for any more of these....

Bad man, bad bad man...
More shelves:p

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
I’m an old timer that lived in the Detroit suburbs back then. Never heard of it either.
Willing to bet you heard of Jimmy Addisons 67 GTX. Now there is a car that never lost on streets of Detroit. Of course it wasn’t stock but 10 flat in late 60s early 70s was something special. I’d didn’t hurt that Tom Hoover was funneling factory go fast parts right out of Chryslers Highland park engineering labs. I would take that car called the Silver Bullet all day over Black Ghost especially since Hoover has his hands on that car at Addisons Sunoco station periodically. Yep no doubt the Ghost is cool and has great story. Survivor to boot, but it’s the Silver Bullet for me all day!

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Willing to bet you heard of Jimmy Addisons 67 GTX. Now there is a car that never lost on streets of Detroit. Of course it wasn’t stock but 10 flat in late 60s early 70s was something special. I’d didn’t hurt that Tom Hoover was funneling factory go fast parts right out of Chryslers Highland park engineering labs. I would take that car called the Silver Bullet all day over Black Ghost especially since Hoover has his hands on that car at Addisons Sunoco station periodically. Yep no doubt the Ghost is cool and has great story. Survivor to boot, but it’s the Silver Bullet for me all day!
Sorry, hadn't heard of it but I'm sure it would kill the BG.

There was a '68 L88 Vette with a GM Tech Center built motor that made 640 hp and was said to run 9's with slicks. A friend in Ypsilanti bought it in '72. Ugly brown thing, but the ride in it was memorable.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
St... ...ah... ...pit!

I do not have room on my shelf for any more of these....

Bad man, bad bad man...
Where's the D170 model ??

Last edited:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
I think Tony is mostly right, and as I commented, I admit I am lost in, and enjoy the nostalgia of the whole thing - I love the car, the story, and the Last Call tribute version. I have no other skin in the game, so that helps.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Someone posted that video in the hood. Seems they would rather believe the myth.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Former editor....hope he was better @ that then infomercials...that was torture to watch 18 min of stutterin and stammerin...over and over...shoulda been 3 maybe 4 min at best...

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I think Tony is mostly right, and as I commented, I admit I am lost in, and enjoy the nostalgia of the whole thing - I love the car, the story, and the Last Call tribute version. I have no other skin in the game, so that helps.
There might be a foundation for the story...alotta street racin went on back then...he coulda regularly beat his share of slugs...then slipped away...as the story is retold...the legend grew...I dont buy the purposely played scam aspect

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
I think this guy nails it....

highly unlikely that the drivetrain was swapped out then meticulously put back to bone stock. why/to what end?

one thing is for sure,14s ain't winnin' nothin on the street when $$ is involved...

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I saw the silver bullet a few times at the Dodge display at Woodward

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
That was way tooo long! Bla bla bla. He’s right in the point he’s making though. I am from the era. I was street racing in the late 60’s (so actually before the so called Black Ghost) and the heavy hitters on the blvd would have made short work of a stock anything back then. The Mopars that I drooled over were ‘63 and ‘64 Max Wedge 426’s with cross ram quads. They were low 12 second cars and certainly wouldn’t have any problem with the Black Ghost in its stock form with nothing but cheater slicks. The guy who ruled Garden Grove Blvd was kinda like Milner in American Graffiti. Instead of the yellow Duce Coup, he ran a yellow 1950 Studebaker Pickup with a cross ram small block Chevy and orange plexiglass windows. I saw him run 11’s at OCIR in 1968 and he was on the Blvd every night and cruising Oscars (yes there were carhops). I was in my 13 second ‘61 Ford Falcon and was very picky about who I chose off to not get my ass kicked. So…. while I was never on Woodward in the early 70’s, I would bet that there were some seriously fast dudes waiting for the Black Ghost to show up 😂

Last edited:

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
That was way tooo long! Bla bla bla. He’s right in the point he’s making though. I am from the era. I was street racing in the late 60’s (so actually before the so called Black Ghost) and the heavy hitters on the blvd would have made short work of a stock anything back then. The Mopars that I drooled over were ‘63 and ‘64 Max Wedge 426’s with cross ram quads. They were low 12 second cars and certainly wouldn’t have any problem with the Black Ghost in its stock form with nothing but cheater slicks. The guy who ruled Garden Grove Blvd was kinda like Milner in American Graffiti. Instead of the yellow Duce Coup, he ran a yellow 1950 Studebaker Pickup with a cross ram small block Chevy and orange plexiglass windows. I saw him run 11’s at OCIR in 1968 and he was on the Blvd every night and cruising Oscars (yes there were carhops). I was in my 13 second ‘61 Ford Falcon and was very picky about who I chose off. So…. while I was never on Woodward in the early 70’s, I would bet that there were some seriously fast dudes waiting for the Black Ghost to show up 😂
I was out there in the late 60s until mid 70s. Even though I was in a small town there were plenty of street racers coming around looking for money races. Many would pull the front wheels on the street.
We would also travel to Front St in Philly. Always plenty of trailered in fast cars.
Black Ghost wouldn't come close to any of those cars. What does a stock Hemi run from that era? Mid 13s if I remember correctly.

Frankly I think this whole thing is a sham.

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Other than recent Dodge marketing hype, I don't see anything too special about that car really. What's that saying about a fool and his money?

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
It's a cool story and I still believe in Santa so....

However, the timing of the sale was kinda coincidental? If story = true I'm not sure I could sell the car if it had been my Dad's, especially if I had a son to pass it down to. Just sayin' ;)

On a related note, I had a guy and his kid approach me at a Mopar event a few years ago when I had my suped up R/T. He asked me what times it ran and I told him high 10s at about 130mph. He laughed a big laugh and told me his 1970 426 Challenger convertible ran faster than that "and didn't need no stupid supercharger to do it". I didn't wanna embarrass the guy in front of his teenage son, but he kept going on and on and I finally said "let's line em' up out front on the street and I'll bet you my title I whip that 14 second car". He mumbled and trailed off.