Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Lift Types—Help Me Decide

SunnyS

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Siesta Key
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat
Yes 6
Dang - nice! Is that a real 427 Biscayne? '68?
Yes a 69 numbers matching one of 77 427/425 HP cars. Have owned it for 18 years

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Yes 6

Yes a 69 numbers matching one of 77 427/425 HP cars. Have owned it for 18 years
Super awesome car - congrats! What's real-life ownership of a solid-lifter motor like? Gas issues, ever have to set the lifters?

SunnyS

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Siesta Key
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat
Super awesome car - congrats! What's real-life ownership of a solid-lifter motor like? Gas issues, ever have to set the lifters?
Really do not put that many miles on it. Has a hidden MSD ignition box and lifters are set and do not change with a good set of poly-locks installed. Gas is Cam two racing fuel at ten dollars a gallon.. Very fast car would say a mid 12 second 1/4 mile with the 3:73 gear in it. Have a friend that races a 68 with 4:56 gears and he is a solid 11 second car. Car is all original with exception of headers and a Hurst shifter. Always brings a nice crowd at the cruise ins.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Having owned both style of lifts(two post,Four post) they both teeter a little most of the four posts are made to move so not bolted to the floor. I have had two two post lifts and I just cut a two foot by 8 foot section of my garage out and poured 6 inch thick slab there for the lift. The second one was a new garage so the whole floor was 6 inches thick. I used to live in Arizona and the house next door had a four post outside on his driveway.Only worked on cars at night out there. Way to hot
Exposed to the elements? Not for me. Most of that stuff is made in china. Rain, snow, dust, freeze, direct sun atent going to do the lift alot of good in my opinion.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Exposed to the elements? Not for me. Most of that stuff is made in china. Rain, snow, dust, freeze, direct sun atent going to do the lift alot of good in my opinion.
Maybe it doesn't do it any good, but my cheap 4-post has been outside for some six years now.

Says it can't be exposed to weather, but I keep the motor (rain/snow) and the plastic fluid tank (brutal UV) covered. So far so good, even though the paint has indeed faded.
And I do spray some lube on the turning/moving things every couple of years or so.

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
Another option is the MakJak very nice lift for a low celling garage and if you have a stable 4 inch slab it works great. I had one
Interesting. I went to their website and all I could find were those industrial lifting bags. Those fascinate me.

SunnyS

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Siesta Key
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat
Interesting. I went to their website and all I could find were those industrial lifting bags. Those fascinate me.
Sorry I had a misspell It is MaxJax lifts

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
Sorry I had a misspell It is MaxJax lifts
No worries. I do like the lift bags.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Maybe it doesn't do it any good, but my cheap 4-post has been outside for some six years now.

Says it can't be exposed to weather, but I keep the motor (rain/snow) and the plastic fluid tank (brutal UV) covered. So far so good, even though the paint has indeed faded.
And I do spray some lube on the turning/moving things every couple of years or so.
Yep, lots of auto repair businesses in SoCal have outdoor lifts.

Slows2k

Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger
if you want a storage lift and change some oil, get a 4 post. If yo want to do any repairs past that, a 2 post.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Any repairs in particular that require a 2-post?
I know I do a lot of things wrong, but please don't add too much more to the list.

Slows2k

Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger
Anything with the wheels, brakes, suspension, subframes are all terrible with a 4 post lift. There is a reason 2 post lifts are in every shop.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Yepper,, the 2 post is threading the bottle a bit thin.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
MTSU,, lost alot of vergins from Central High Chattanooga,, from there.

gotswap

U.S. Army Veteran
11 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Peyton
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Durango Hell Cat
Anything with the wheels, brakes, suspension, subframes are all terrible with a 4 post lift. There is a reason 2 post lifts are in every shop.

Not quite true, very easy to get all the corners up in the air. Have 2 scissor jacks that will lift anything that I can get on it. That and a 4 post is significantly more stable.

on the lift.jpg

Slows2k

Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger
I‘ve worked on post lifts for 20 years as career, a drive on 4 post is fine for a hobby. They are terrible for being efficient making repairs.

gotswap

U.S. Army Veteran
11 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Peyton
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Durango Hell Cat
I‘ve worked on post lifts for 20 years as career, a drive on 4 post is fine for a hobby. They are terrible for being efficient making repairs.
Agree to disagree. When I was in the industry, I rarely used a 2 post and is why I have a 4 post in my shop.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I think they each have their advantages and disadvantages, and it comes down to personal preference. If I were getting a lift for my house, I would get a 4 post since it has the added benefit of being able to use it for storage easily. Just drive on and off....done.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thankfully, vehicles are a hobby for me these days. So my repairs don't have to be efficient, just very good.
Besides, I do mostly maintenance - that way there's not much need for repairs.

parttimer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
crazyweathertown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I had the quick jack setup for a while. Upgraded to a portable drive over lift, much happier. They now have them in 9k lifting which I wish they had when I got mine!