Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Installing tank ice box?

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
I plan on installing a thermostatic bypass valve for it to bypass the heat echsnger automatically, temps under 95 degrees? Bypasses heat exchanger to ice bow (or chiller only). Above 95? Opens up to heat exchanger. This is perfect imo in case you run out of cold fluid at the top of the track with the heat exchanger bypassed, and will save you

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Sorry but not entirely true. Previously, I ran both a FI interchiller and that side mount ice tank in the trunk. The interchiller would maintain a 40 degree temp in that ice tank when driving on the street. I was basically using it as a aux tank for the interchiller and it worked best with 2 to 3 gallons in it. I did insulate the factory hard lines on top of the motor, but not the rubber lines to the rear. While 40 degrees was not record setting low temps in the great interchiller temp wars, it was plenty cold enough to do the job. A perfect example of a car that would benefit from both are the drag and drive guys. With the factory heat exchangers removed, the interchiller is needed to keep the IC coolant temp under control on the street and the ice tank with the capacity to use ice at the track is better than the interchiller for instant cooling before a pass.
Good info. Chillers are more effective/efficient though the closer the tank is to the chiller

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Good info. Chillers are more effective/efficient though the closer the tank is to the chiller
I agree.. closer the better. I remember somebody built a small aux tank and mounted it on or near the front bumper. That would be more efficient than the setup on top of the motor where it is a never ending battle with the heat radiating up off the engine. When you shut down and everything stops moving, it just sits there and cooks. Two things… while the tank in the rear is giving up some due to the round trip distance for the coolant, it still keeps the interchiller temps low enough to do the job. 40 degree water is pretty damn cold. Stick your hand in it and it feels freezing. As far as the OE heat exchanger goes…. When you are running chilled coolant thru there on a warm day, it is actually doing the opposite of what you want. The good thing about running ice from the tank at the track is unlike the interchiller…. It’s pumping that ice cold water all the way down the track. It doesn’t shut down on WOT.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Very
I agree.. closer the better. I remember somebody built a small aux tank and mounted it on or near the front bumper. That would be more efficient than the setup on top of the motor where it is a never ending battle with the heat radiating up off the engine. When you shut down and everything stops moving, it just sits there and cooks. Two things… while the tank in the rear is giving up some due to the round trip distance for the coolant, it still keeps the interchiller temps low enough to do the job. 40 degree water is pretty damn cold. Stick your hand in it and it feels freezing. As far as the OE heat exchanger goes…. When you are running chilled coolant thru there on a warm day, it is actually doing the opposite of what you want. The good thing about running ice from the tank at the track is unlike the interchiller…. It’s pumping that ice cold water all the way down the track. It doesn’t shut down on WOT.
Very true! Ac compressor shuts down at WOT

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
So why do people run the cwa400 and not just the Davies 150? The 150 seems like plenty?

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
So why do people run the cwa400 and not just the Davies 150? The 150 seems like plenty?
I have always run the Davies. It pumps a ton and I have never had any issues.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I have always run the Davies. It pumps a ton and I have never had any issues.
Thanks for the info man!

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Yes. Too big to even be a option with the side mount PNR. This is what I’m using now. A custom 10 gallon tank. View attachment 112072
When you’re car was more stock and you had the half moon one lol.. when you deleted the factory pump, did you have the Davies 150 pushing All the fluid, or a reprogrammed EMP pump/cwa400?

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
IMG_0905.jpeg Welp, no going back now. If anyone has any suggestions or advice on routing/t’ing the coolant lines I’d really appreciate it

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
When you’re car was more stock and you had the half moon one lol.. when you deleted the factory pump, did you have the Davies 150 pushing All the fluid, or a reprogrammed EMP pump/cwa400?
. First…. That was over 5 years ago. Lol. I can hardly remember what I was doing that long ago. I changed to the side mount when I put the DragPak rear in it and used the well in the trunk for the fuel cell. The Davies Craig pump is all I ever used. Removing the factory pump was part of the install from the beginning. Don’t need it.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Youz guyz half taken da industry back ass wards 15 ears. Gots 2 f ing kidden me. A damn messy ass ice box is it? Getter straight, ice bux, lots of coolen lines runnen thru youz auto, a 3 way valve with a differant pump, a new pump. Cum on. Youz R maken a primary- sexondary coolen system,,, why?? Avery part youz put in hass an attempt 2 fail. I can snot believe watt youz guyz are attempten 2 in vent.