Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

I think my bearings left town.

parttimer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
crazyweathertown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Noise started about a week ago. I initially had a 2.85 on and swapped to the 2.79. This sound started to show up. I swapped back to the 2.85 to see if it was just a pulley problem. Before putting the 2.85 on I gave the hub a spin and got this squeak.

Debating on going back to stock and trying an extended warranty fix, or just shipping it for a rebuild.

2fast4u

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
It indeed does sound like you have an issue...I personally WOULD have it addressed immediately.

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Dang, sounds real bad.
Wouldn't hurt to try the warranty.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Brother you need a SC for sure.

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Red Eye 1969 Hellcat Cuda
I talked to a guy a while back who rebuilds the IHI superchargers for Mopar and others. He said the majority of failures were due to incorrect install of pullies. Just sayin'...

OP
P

parttimer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
crazyweathertown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #6
I'm headed back to stock town this week :( I would assume Tim knows how to do a pulley swap by now, so I'm guessing that wouldn't be the case.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
I talked to a guy a while back who rebuilds the IHI superchargers for Mopar and others. He said the majority of failures were due to incorrect install of pullies. Just sayin'...
I had 3 failures in 3 years all on stock pullers.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
I’m guessing you had a tune and the dealer will be able to tell. Maybe you’ll get lucky with a third party extended warranty?

Member ID
Reactions
City
Gilbert
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Noise started about a week ago. I initially had a 2.85 on and swapped to the 2.79. This sound started to show up. I swapped back to the 2.85 to see if it was just a pulley problem. Before putting the 2.85 on I gave the hub a spin and got this squeak.

Debating on going back to stock and trying an extended warranty fix, or just shipping it for a rebuild.
How many miles on the car?

Hellion

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Johnstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
I never understand the mentality that it is ok to modify a car to make it faster than stock, then have a problem and think it's ok to try and make it look stock again. Then take it in for a warranty claim. That is fraud no mater how you look at it.

If you want to play to make your car fast, then be prepared to pay when you have a problem.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I gotta think this is cheap outsourcing? to the lowest cost manufacturer of the bearing to keep costs down overall. If it were a design flaw causing flexing and undo stress on the bearing, I would think the cases would show signs of cracking. Although, that bearing IS hanging out there in the wind so to speak even with the ribbing on the blower casting.
Definitely a real OEM prob either way. I mean Paladin06 said "I had 3 failures in 3 years all on stock pulleys", can't deny that's an OEM issue and def not attributed to the 2.85 pulley IMO

OP
P

parttimer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
crazyweathertown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #12
If anyone remembers history of the 2016's many MANY owners had their STOCK SETUP car get the blower replaced 2 or 3 times on cars manufactured between June and August of 2016. Right in the middle of where mine was built. Shortly after that a new part number was released and magically blower issues disappeared. So, gotta pay to play I get, but when you have an inferior manufacturing issue, that shouldn't be my problem. Plenty of 2015's had STOCK cars break driveshafts, 2016, new shafts, no breakage, even on modified cars. Regardless it's off to Jokerz for a rebuilt and port work.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
On most items I agree to not try to make it stock and get around having a modded car fixed under warranty.

However, with this being a KNOWN issue that Dodge quite frankly should have had a TSB for I see no issue. My original blower had the bearings fail in the first 1700 miles bone stock. The blower was replaced under warranty.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Columbiana
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
On most items I agree to not try to make it stock and get around having a modded car fixed under warranty.

However, with this being a KNOWN issue that Dodge quite frankly should have had a TSB for I see no issue. My original blower had the bearings fail in the first 1700 miles bone stock. The blower was replaced under warranty.
True. My SC bearing/bearings went bad at 820mils. Replaced under warranty. Apparently from late November 2016 model years and earlier Hellcats potentially had faulty bearings. Outsourced manufacturing defects. Some went bad others didn’t. My car, 2017, was mfr in Oct. 2016.