Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Found a Cat trailer that looks pretty good, is there anything I’m missing?

Keith Richards

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Windsor
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody - 2016 HC 6 -spd
What's the speed rating?
No idea, but here I don't go much over 62 as with trailer legal limit is 55. Couple years ago I had to go back and forth a few trips to Wyoming and ran 80 (truck-trailer can run that in Nev - Utah - Wy), no issues with this set up........

9zPVHPbw.jpeg

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
5lug, 2x3500 axles.

If I had a 3/4t, I'd go 10k, probably a steel tilt. Almost bought one. It was 1700# heavier.
A 10K rated trailer will just beat up your 'Cat, unless it's air ride. 5,200 is ideal I think, but with an aluminum trailer 3,500 will work, just keep an eye on the bearings.

I put L-track on mine so I could use wheel nets and/or wheel straps. I'm one of those that refuse to tie to unsprung weight.

IMG_4385.JPG IMG_4386.JPG

MMissile

500 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Macomb County
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Challenger Hellcat WB
Whatever. Show us yours.

Towed 1000’s of miles, it runs down the road just great with that heavy car etc.
This is my 6th trailer. This has 2-7500lb axles. 14 years old, and the spare has never seen the ground. It's been everywhere, and on it's 2nd set of tires... due to age-cracking sidewalls.
Krusty pick-up morning 5-11-23.jpg

This was ungainly, but served it's purpose when I ran Nostalgia Pro-Stock.
post dually rig at Salem.jpg

Last edited:

MMissile

500 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Macomb County
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Challenger Hellcat WB
My advice is to buy the best trailer that you can afford. Make sure it has lots more load capacity than you think you'll ever use because you will use it.

You need at least 20' for the cat. My open was a 24' and it sat nicely on the trailer with 0 overhang.

Does this 1 have 6 lugs?

This is just my opinion.
View attachment 126152
Great advise. Better to have more than you currently need. I've always wanted an aluminum trailer, but couldn't pull the trigger. So nice.

Last edited:

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I've transported all kinds of vehicles on my 18-foot trailer, but recently decided to look into getting a 20-footer.
Well, they don't seem to make this kind anymore, so I'll either add a foot or two to this one, or simply leave well enough alone. DSCN2112.JPG DSCN2124.JPG

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I've transported all kinds of vehicles on my 18-foot trailer, but recently decided to look into getting a 20-footer.
Well, they don't seem to make this kind anymore, so I'll either add a foot or two to this one, or simply leave well enough alone. View attachment 126241 View attachment 126242
I like the trailer to take the hit if possible.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I like the trailer to take the hit if possible.
Yeah, that's partially what made my think about a longer one. But if you look at the Challenger on the trailer you'll see that it could've been moved forward by over a foot.

Of course, my unfair advantage is that by driving fast, the odds of getting rear ended are minimized.

Anyway, at 16.5 feet a Challenger fits fine on an 18-foot trailer. Even a gooseneck where there's a "wall" in the front.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Yeah, that's partially what made my think about a longer one. But if you look at the Challenger on the trailer you'll see that it could've been moved forward by over a foot.

Of course, my unfair advantage is that by driving fast, the odds of getting rear ended are minimized.

Anyway, at 16.5 feet a Challenger fits fine on an 18-foot trailer. Even a gooseneck where there's a "wall" in the front.
You can see in the picture that I posted with the Challenger that it has plenty of room on both ends. Enough for additional tires and gear.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
No idea, but here I don't go much over 62 as with trailer legal limit is 55. Couple years ago I had to go back and forth a few trips to Wyoming and ran 80 (truck-trailer can run that in Nev - Utah - Wy), no issues with this set up........

View attachment 126184
When we were pulling the ATC, we would find ourselves going 75 or more at times. The tires were rated for 75.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
You can see in the picture that I posted with the Challenger that it has plenty of room on both ends. Enough for additional tires and gear.
I try to put as little as possible on or in trailers, and have the tow vehicle be as heavy as possible.

When we were pulling the ATC, we would find ourselves going 75 or more at times. The tires were rated for 75.
Those original tires on the little gooseneck were replaced recently, due to age. Think they were rated at 60-something, but were subjected to 80 more often than not. The new ones are rated at over 80.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I try to put as little as possible on or in trailers, and have the tow vehicle be as heavy as possible.

Those original tires on the little gooseneck were replaced recently, due to age. Think they were rated at 60-something, but were subjected to 80 more often than not. The new ones are rated at over 80.
If it's a race trailer, you want to keep your gear in the trailer for faster loading next time. Cuts down on the work.

If I would of continued, it would of been built out with more comfort things.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
If it's a race trailer, you want to keep your gear in the trailer for faster loading next time. Cuts down on the work.

If I would of continued, it would of been built out with more comfort things.
If I feel lazy I take the longer gooseneck, with the hydraulic tail. Quicker and easier than even aluminum ramps. And all the tie-down stuff goes in the trailer's tool box either way.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
If I feel lazy I take the longer gooseneck, with the hydraulic tail. Quicker and easier than even aluminum ramps. And all the tie-down stuff goes in the trailer's tool box either way.
It's better just to have everything setup for use. Digging through shit sucks.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
It's better just to have everything setup for use. Digging through shit sucks.
It does. Which is why ratchets, stake pocket D-rings, lasso straps, axle straps, ratchet straps, wheel nets, etc. are in their own cardboard boxes in the toolbox.

I always bring more than I need (for a couple of reasons) and especially when picking up a vehicle I've never tied down before. My go to is lasso straps, with added fuzzy wraps for when going through the wheels.

But all it takes to have to change a plan is a valve stem in the wrong place, or inside wheel weights.

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Hellcat Charger Redeye Widebody
Found a 2021 Rance 20’ 7k alum trailer, weighs 1335# so gross weight would be about 5835#. Light weight is important because I’m towing with a 1/2t.

It will be summer towing only so road salt will not be an issue.

Asking price is $6500. I can get a cheap steel 7k trailer for $4k new, but 700# more weight. I like steel better, but the light weight should be much easier on the 1/2t truck and much more driveable.

I have never trailered a Cat, only boats, horses, dirt and stone, so thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

(BTW: He has a nice garage!)

View attachment 126151
My car would have looked great on there back in October

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #36
My car would have looked great on there back in October
If it weren't for you and Stan, I never would have considered a trailer. But after watching 2 HC's flatbedded away, one several hundred miles from home, my perspective has evolved. Besides, it's easier to purge the fuel at home and fill with 100 octane. And I won't be burning up $70 in 100 fuel going from the Airb&b to the runway and back every day!

You're bringing the purple monster to Land Speed Trials this year I hope!

(Edit: Corrected misspelling.)

Last edited:
OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #37
One other thing to double check is width, between fenders or rails. I believe a wide body Hellcat is 79" and my Featherlite posted above and here is 78-7/8" inside of the raised rails. I didn't buy it for that as that is obviously too tight and if I need to haul it I will have to use my 24' Enclosed Pace as it is 82" between wheel wells which is tight as well.

View attachment 126183
I'm a NB guy so I think I'm ok. "Interior Width" spec is 80". Besides, the fenders are removable. Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited:
OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #38
View attachment 126157
20’ tilt aluminum. I load the shit out of the trunk and add four corners of about 65 lbs.:p I also road race it, so I am a bit stubborn. You have no problem with that trailer. One thing, check out how easy or hard it is to load. This one tilts, but we also use a set of helpers to make it smooth and easy with no problems. Our little Grand Cherokee did tow it b4 the Durango with the weak back springs took over. The rear of the Durango will be taken care of b4 it ever tows again.
View attachment 126159
I expect to make or buy something to reduce approach angle, I can easily weld up a ramp extension. Can you forward the link to what you are using? Thanks!

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I expect to make or buy something to reduce approach angle, I can easily weld up a ramp extension. Can you forward the link to what you are using? Thanks!
Get a power jack and use it to reduce the angle.

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #40
A 10K rated trailer will just beat up your 'Cat, unless it's air ride. 5,200 is ideal I think, but with an aluminum trailer 3,500 will work, just keep an eye on the bearings.

I put L-track on mine so I could use wheel nets and/or wheel straps. I'm one of those that refuse to tie to unsprung weight.

View attachment 126185 View attachment 126186
Funny you should say that. I looked at 2 other mfr's of alum trailers and they both warned me away from their 7k recommending the 10k, maybe their spec was optimistic? I contacted Rance, they the 4500# HC should be fine. They further stated a trailer rated for a load higher than the actual load will cause a more harsh ride for the Cat. Made sense to me, but I'm only an engineer.