Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Finally put my ingocnito sleeve on

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
clink' here's a KY Bourbon barrel ale my personal fav LOL

I was never sure if the orange stuff was a big deal or not, but Mike's valves looked pretty nutty.....but we all know he's hard on things and maybe he was using a gallon a tank LOL

OP
rookerrobert

rookerrobert

Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ridgeland
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 hellcat A8 and 2016 M6
Thread Starter #42
no the tune is the same but it was tuned for 15lbs. and I think it'll learn for 2lbs.....but I still run my scanner so far so good

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
clink' here's a KY Bourbon barrel ale my personal fav LOL

I was never sure if the orange stuff was a big deal or not, but Mike's valves looked pretty nutty.....but we all know he's hard on things and maybe he was using a gallon a tank LOL
Hey Speedy, you keep referring to Mike's issues with Boostane but he is probably the worst case scenario to compare to (no offence Mike) , he was using a whole 32oz. bottle to a tank of gas, & that is way too much & not needed. Of course any amount will eventually leave some residue but probably not any worse than normal carbon build up. If people would just use it as needed, a few oz.'s to a tank & not go crazy with it, then I don't think it's a issue at all. But some think that if a little is good then a lot must be better. Like with anything some will over do it.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
That could be it, looking at the mixing chart it does seem a bit like diminishing returns. Like to go from 93 to 98 octane only takes .3oz/gal but to get to 100 takes 3x as much for only 2 more octane if I read it right.

OP
rookerrobert

rookerrobert

Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ridgeland
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #45
it's kinda confusing to me but heck thats easy for me....but thats what I have been using 32oz. per tank...but I thought that maybe 6oz per tank would be better...or 3oz per 10gals of 93.I dont have boostane locally so I'm trying vp racing madditive unleaded it says one qrt. for 10gls. to add 7points which I believe to be 0.70

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
That could be it, looking at the mixing chart it does seem a bit like diminishing returns. Like to go from 93 to 98 octane only takes .3oz/gal but to get to 100 takes 3x as much for only 2 more octane if I read it right.
Yes, to get to 99 or 100 octane or even higher, takes a whole lot more to get there. And I don't think it takes more than 97 or 98 octane to keep knock down anyway.
For example - I normally refuel after a trip to the track to get it back to 3/4 tank usually takes about 8 gal. , so to get to 97 from 93 oct. for 8 gal. is .26 x 8 = 2.08 oz. ; for 98 oct. is .32 x 8 = 2.56 oz. ; for 100 oct. is .92 x 8 = 7.36 oz.
Big difference between 97 or 98 & 100 in the amount of Boostane used. And when someone uses 32 oz. (a whole bottle) to a tank, that is just a waste & not needed for any of our average pulleyed street cars. If someone needs that much oct. then they should be on race fuel or E85. Which I don't want to do anyway. I like the convenience & no hassle of 93.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
it's kinda confusing to me but heck thats easy for me....but thats what I have been using 32oz. per tank...but I thought that maybe 6oz per tank would be better...or 3oz per 10gals of 93.I dont have boostane locally so I'm trying vp racing madditive unleaded it says one qrt. for 10gls. to add 7points which I believe to be 0.70
You don't need a whole bottle to a tank, just need 97 or 98 oct. to keep it safe. However many gallons you put in at fill up, calculate that to get to 97 or 98. If you put in 15 gal. & want 97 from 93 it would be .26 x 15 = 3.9 ozs. of Boostane. So a 32 oz. bottle would do 8 fill ups for 1 bottle.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Back when I was running some tests I used 4oz in 1/2 tank to get me close to 100 octane. That did turn my plugs orange, like I said at the time no idea if that means a thing, but we did see from Mike that 32oz a tank will cake on the valves so that's obviously not a desired outcome. I've since moved to E85 so not something I'll have to think about anymore.

Bottom line, in my humble opinion, if you are going to use an octane booster, use the absolute minimum needed to eliminate knock you may be seeing in your logs.

My .02 cents no change for the 5.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Back when I was running some tests I used 4oz in 1/2 tank to get me close to 100 octane. That did turn my plugs orange, like I said at the time no idea if that means a thing, but we did see from Mike that 32oz a tank will cake on the valves so that's obviously not a desired outcome. I've since moved to E85 so not something I'll have to think about anymore.

Bottom line, in my humble opinion, if you are going to use an octane booster, use the absolute minimum needed to eliminate knock you may be seeing in your logs.

My .02 cents no change for the 5.
I have not seen my plugs yet but I'm sure they may be a little orange. But my exhaust look normal when I've had it down & looked.
Yep, use as little as needed.

OP
rookerrobert

rookerrobert

Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ridgeland
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #50
damn with all that being said I might better check my plugs they most likely look like a carrot....lol

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Yes, to get to 99 or 100 octane or even higher, takes a whole lot more to get there. And I don't think it takes more than 97 or 98 octane to keep knock down anyway.
For example - I normally refuel after a trip to the track to get it back to 3/4 tank usually takes about 8 gal. , so to get to 97 from 93 oct. for 8 gal. is .26 x 8 = 2.08 oz. ; for 98 oct. is .32 x 8 = 2.56 oz. ; for 100 oct. is .92 x 8 = 7.36 oz.
Big difference between 97 or 98 & 100 in the amount of Boostane used. And when someone uses 32 oz. (a whole bottle) to a tank, that is just a waste & not needed for any of our average pulleyed street cars. If someone needs that much oct. then they should be on race fuel or E85. Which I don't want to do anyway. I like the convenience & no hassle of 93.
@rookerrobert I too ran the full 32 oz of VP race additive for the full effect in 10 gals of 93. I had run 3 maybe 4 10gal tanks through at that mixture when I saw the deposits on @16GoManGoHC2 's valves and decided to stop. But now that I'm hearing you can get a pretty good boost up (97/98) at a much lesser dose, I might reconsider.
@Mean Cat , rookerrobert was saying he is using VP but your calculations are for boostane. Is it basically the same chemical used in both a additives and would the calculations work for both? Reason I ask is VP is what's available to me. Would calculations be the same?

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
@rookerrobert I too ran the full 32 oz of VP race additive for the full effect in 10 gals of 93. I had run 3 maybe 4 10gal tanks through at that mixture when I saw the deposits on @16GoManGoHC2 's valves and decided to stop. But now that I'm hearing you can get a pretty good boost up (97/98) at a much lesser dose, I might reconsider.
@Mean Cat , rookerrobert was saying he is using VP but your calculations are for boostane. Is it basically the same chemical used in both a additives and would the calculations work for both? Reason I ask is VP is what's available to me. Would calculations be the same?
I don't think so, the calculation chart I used is for Boostane, sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

Last edited:

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
You can order it (Boostane) on line & shipped straight to your house.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I mixed 1/2 to 1/2 93 two 110 octane but did not know the 110 was leaded till the 3rd tank. Damage dun. Fuel rails burnt up 3 times, fuel pumps, s yes, converters 3 times dunster,, in the dumpster. It all went. 3 times so Dodge Cares stepped into the pict ural and took control from the dealer ship. # days a trip from NJ during the winter can be brutal up north,,, Maderia Beach and my buddy El Rico la from Indian Rocks Beach at the time bought a Demon from Sun Coast Chryster Jeep,, Seminole tech David ownes a Viper and is the head Demon, Viper, H/C tech. He stays buzy. El Ri Co La traded his $135,000 Demon in for a $250,000 Lambo and a new townhome on the beach. Gooez in the marget guys. I am a moderate to be truthful. I bring in 6% all day long. As I am picking my teeth with a 6 inch switch blade. A bit ill legal. Nkot by much.

swatdocsc

Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Law Enforcement
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jefferson City
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
10,R/T12YJKT,15SPS,16 HC,19RE,22 S/S
18,5 gallons of 93 octane with a full 32 0z can of professional boostane will put you @ between 99 and 101 give a take a point for pump variations.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
18,5 gallons of 93 octane with a full 32 0z can of professional boostane will put you @ between 99 and 101 give a take a point for pump variations.
Don't forget that the tank is never totally empty, unless your out of gas, normally will have at least 2 or 3 gallons in tank even when gas gauge is real low.
I calculate for 18.5 gal & 99 is 8 ozs. of Boostane. .43 x 18.5 = 7.955
For 101 oct is 23.5 ozs. of Boostane. 1.28 x 18.5 = 23.68
I round up or down a little to make it easier to measure in cup.
So not even close to a full bottle 32 oz. and will prob. never put 18.5 gallons in the car so this makes it even higher octane than was this example.

Last edited: