Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Exhaust drone

dh78751

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
MERRITT ISLAND
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
Recently added long tube headers and deleted cats on my 2015 SRT 392. Performance and sound is great, but now there's a very noticeable drone at 1800-200 RPM. Still have stock mufflers and resonators. Thoughts on removing/reducing the drone?

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States
Have you tried leaving the wife at home?

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Recently added long tube headers and deleted cats on my 2015 SRT 392. Performance and sound is great, but now there's a very noticeable drone at 1800-200 RPM. Still have stock mufflers and resonators. Thoughts on removing/reducing the drone?
Welcome to the site from MGC.
Lots have commented on drone, so you should get some input.
Got any pics (of the car) we can enjoy?

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Interesting. I had cat deletes and never noticed any drone. Then put the Hooker blackheart exhaust which does not have the valves in the exhaust and no drone. Then put long tubes on and still nothing. We all hear thing differently and I have had drone on others cars that was horrible so a little I may not think anything of it. This was one a 392 Daytona

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
The valves should kill the drone for the most part

TraxMoe

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Heartland
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
POS slasher
banana tp.jpg

I heard this will kill the drone if you use enough of them. PPL behind you will think you're hauling a trunk load of banana bread

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
View attachment 43224

I heard this will kill the drone if you use enough of them. PPL behind you will think you're hauling a trunk load of banana bread
Someone was actually thinking along the lines of the OP's question when they walked outside with a banana in their hand and phone / camera to take this pic.......

Heminized

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
New Smyrna Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
If you are going to use banana's make sure you put them on the proper end of the car.
1619989136383.png

Xylander

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Tallahassee
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Challenger Redeye Widebody Jailbreak
The drone is caused by harmonic resonation in the midpipe mufflers. I'm not a fan of muffler deletes, so I'll say you need to find a less restrictive mid muffler that better matches the flow of the headers. This is a trial and error thing, as all vehicles are different and what works for one is not guaranteed to work for another.

To try a remedy on the cheap, I'd order a pair of Vibrant 1794 or 1795 mufflers, or a comparable Magnaflow pair and weld them into place. Test the sound for drone. If it's gone, you can leave those on, or buy a full performance cat back kit from someone.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
What was the idea with removing the resonators? Just trying to change the sound? Feel there are restrictions there? Except for the inability to control the exhaust I think dodge did pretty good with this exhaust.

On the SC GTO I removed the resonator and replaced with an x-pipe and cut out the mufflers replacing with racing "glass packs" (is what it looked like) but they had had a ton of computer time thrown at them and were tuned so that when exhaust flow passed a certain volume the interference patterns caused the exhaust to flow like it was in a straight pipe. Best sounding car I ever had; no rasp, no drone, not too loud unless you were WOT. Better than the hellcat and much better than the GT500 (to my ear).

Member ID
Reactions
City
Chester Springs
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Corsa Sport catback solves all drone problems.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

68coronet

Member ID
Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker
MDS exhaust drone sounds quite bad. V8 exhaust drone is part of the muscle car experience. Embrace it.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Old school often had a range of rpm where drone could found based on differing architecture and conditions. My favorite exhaust of all time was my SC GTO with the modified exhaust i designed. Endless compliments and questions, even in stop and go traffic lol. Not the best place to hear the exhaust full range.

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
They tend to say the scat 392s drone a lot more on the highway then the hellcats do. I tend to agree with that. More power helps to make it drone less

68coronet

Member ID
Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker
My is a R/T 50th 345 w/2.75" SRT exhaust. Except for the MDS, it sounds fabulous.

SWCCC

Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
palmetto
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 SRT 392 CHALLENGER
What was the idea with removing the resonators? Just trying to change the sound? Feel there are restrictions there? Except for the inability to control the exhaust I think dodge did pretty good with this exhaust.

On the SC GTO I removed the resonator and replaced with an x-pipe and cut out the mufflers replacing with racing "glass packs" (is what it looked like) but they had had a ton of computer time thrown at them and were tuned so that when exhaust flow passed a certain volume the interference patterns caused the exhaust to flow like it was in a straight pipe. Best sounding car I ever had; no rasp, no drone, not too loud unless you were WOT. Better than the hellcat and much better than the GT500 (to my ear).
I'm sorry until I save up enough for the Magnaflow XMOD with no drone technology, ill be leaving exhaust alone....

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I'm sorry until I save up enough for the Magnaflow XMOD with no drone technology, ill be leaving exhaust alone....
as long as you have the valves, none should drone. Problem is some of the aftermarket exhausts don't have them. The magnaflow does but way too much money

SWCCC

Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
palmetto
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 SRT 392 CHALLENGER
as long as you have the valves, none should drone. Problem is some of the aftermarket exhausts don't have them. The Magnaflow does but way too much money
Wish there was a way to open and close valves whenever you want without spending a ton of money on something like QTP or NO WEEDS...Sometimes I like it loud and other times when the wife is in the car quieter.

Last edited: