Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Enclosed trailer vs Widebody

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
I'd like to go to the tnt at Clay City this weekend but I have a concern about loading my car in my trailer. I thought I'd ask here to see what's involved in getting one of these big ol' widebody cars in a typical 102 wide enclosed.

It looks like maybe I've got 4" to spare between the wheel wells. That's pretty tight compared to everything else I've ever carried in a trailer.

So..

Is it a royal pain to try to hit the target when loading?

Also, I have a golf cart that goes in the front of the trailer. I may try to pull the car in the last few feet so I don't have to try to crawl out of it once in position. How to you get the transmission into neutral w the car not running?

And, is there any other info I might need to know before trying to stuff this thing in there?

Thx,
Bo

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I know I have about an inch and a half on each side of the rubber on my flatbed, they are wide.

Transmission neutral is under the coin drop or whatever in the center console. Better look at the instructions, but it is pretty simple to pull up, and it is disengaged, screw driver helps for quick release.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Maybe some pool noodles against the fenders... when you hear them scrunch - STOP!

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Or drive the car and pull a small trailer?

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I’m loading mine up on a uhaul car hauler lol, the wheel covers in the hauler fold down so it’s easy getting in and out E6EFB0CB-FDA4-437D-9B8D-B04F050895CA.jpeg

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
^^ would it fit if she had bigger hips?

OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #7
Dgatsby - Thank you for the neutral info. That may come in handy when loading. I'm not as young as I once was and the idea of trying to crawl out the side window while inside the trailer just isn't very appealing to me!

Jack - lol @ the pool noodles. I think if I get straight and centered before rolling in I'll be ok. We'll find out soon enough!

motorhead - Thanks for the suggestion but for reasons not worth going into that's just not a great option this trip.

hellno - I saw a NB Challenger at Beech Bend 2 wks ago on one of those trailers. It looked like it was using up most of the room. I'm pretty sure my rear tires would rub the outer rails.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Dgatsby - Thank you for the neutral info. That may come in handy when loading. I'm not as young as I once was and the idea of trying to crawl out the side window while inside the trailer just isn't very appealing to me!

Jack - lol @ the pool noodles. I think if I get straight and centered before rolling in I'll be ok. We'll find out soon enough!

motorhead - Thanks for the suggestion but for reasons not worth going into that's just not a great option this trip.

hellno - I saw a NB Challenger at Beech Bend 2 wks ago on one of those trailers. It looked like it was using up most of the room. I'm pretty sure my rear tires would rub the outer rails.
I was at beech bend the past weekend

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Just go to a u haul and measure it

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
It pains me to say it, but this was discussed for DAYS on the old forum, I believe specifically when the Demon was announced/released. So, don't look for widebody or Redeye... just look for cars fitting on trailers.

I'd bet that @DRAGRCR has more experience towing a widebody than anyone else on the planet.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
I'd like to go to the tnt at Clay City this weekend but I have a concern about loading my car in my trailer. I thought I'd ask here to see what's involved in getting one of these big ol' widebody cars in a typical 102 wide enclosed.

It looks like maybe I've got 4" to spare between the wheel wells. That's pretty tight compared to everything else I've ever carried in a trailer.

So..

Is it a royal pain to try to hit the target when loading?

Also, I have a golf cart that goes in the front of the trailer. I may try to pull the car in the last few feet so I don't have to try to crawl out of it once in position. How to you get the transmission into neutral w the car not running?

And, is there any other info I might need to know before trying to stuff this thing in there?

Thx,
Bo
If you have skinnies on the front that makes it easier. I usually park my car in line with the ramp or trailer and then get out and go back and site down both sides of the car to see how aligned it is before even attempting to load it. If you are out of whack you pay for it down the line.......My back tires do come up into the wheel wells because my trailer has a spread axle and it is only 20' long. With the 315's I only have about 2" total to deal with. I notched and layed over the corner of the fixed fender on the right so if I do hit it , then it will not cut down the tire right off the bat. I did hit it once. Left fender is removable.

I would not pull that emergency release in the console if I did not have to. On my Hellcat it broke the clip right off the bat and then it would not lock in the home position after that. If you do, then pay attention and do not force anything. Easier said than done because you kind of do have to force it. Why not have the window down and then let it idle in nuetral while you load and then reach in and put it in park and turn it off.

I put my car on 3" ramps in the front to be able to reach under the splitter and hook the tie downs on it. 2x12's work also. 0418191401.jpg

OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #12
Thx DRADRCR. I do have skinnies on it right now and yes, that made things a LOT simpler than I expected. My trailer is long and the 3 axles are not spread. With the other things I have loaded in the front of the trailer I was able to put the car where the back tires are about 2" behind the fender.

It's in, tied and ready to go.

In a weeks time I got the rear center swapped out to the 3.09, DIRS installed and my front skinnies powder coated to match my rears. Hoping for some fun this weekend.. :p(y)

OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #13
And I have the race ramps to load with. They are great. I also have a small set similar you yours but they don't have the radiused spots for the wheels to rest in. I'll definitely be ordering some like yours.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States