Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Electrical issues, curious on others opinions.

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
My 2023 Redeye Jailbreak came in about a month ago. I have been extremely happy with the car and love the spec as it is quite unique. Since I have got it it has not responded to the fobs at all 3 times for about 5 minutes a time (can't unlock the car, remote start, etc etc), and then everything goes back to normal. It has twice now thrown a ton of error codes on the dash, said no bus where the odometer usually is won't read fuel level, and wipers are going on high even though they're turned off.

Got it into our service department yesterday hoping the battery would test bad and be causing the issues but the battery is fine. It spit out a TON of codes though, a lot relating to the BCM. codes1.jpg codes2.jpg

I am hoping it's just a bad BCM or loose electrical connectors at the BCM. I have the option to completely walk away from this car with no cost out of my pocket, and I am starting to consider that if it's not a simple fix. For some reason, electrical issues really get to me as I've seen cars with stuff like this not fully ever get resolved. I do still have my 2015 Hellcat as well so it's not like I would be without a Challenger. Investment-wise, I think having a last year Redeye would pay off in the long run, and I do love the car aside from these issues so I'm a bit torn.

I'm curious to know what other people think. I know everyone has their thing that they won't deal with on a new car. For me, it's paintwork and electrical issues right off the bat. I think if I did give it back, I would also trade in my C8 Stingray and pick up an Audi RS6 Avant but I'd have to drive one first and see if they actually have any emotion to them, I seriously doubt they have as much personality as a Redeye.

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 Challenger Super Stock
I’d walk unless they figure it out ! I also don’t like electrical gremlins and they may never find the real cause.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I'm assuming this condition is unique to this vehicle, and other vehicles aren't suffering from the same sort of potential "RF noise" interference???

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #4
I'm assuming this condition is unique to this vehicle, and other vehicles aren't suffering from the same sort of potential "RF noise" interference???
Yeah it’s unique to this vehicle only. Seems like a lot of modules don’t want to talk to the BCM or vice versa with some PCM and TCM communication issues thrown in for good measure.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Rf hub/bcm needs to be replaced

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I would send it back, that’s way too many issues. Sounds like lemon law

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I have weird issues years ago with a 760 Volvo & a Jeep Grand Cherokee and both times it turned out to be a bad ground. Took them a while to find it, but once fixed never had another problem.

I had that same FOB issue a few times when my '16 was new, of course, dealer could never duplicate as it seemed totally random. Perhaps some sort of RF interference where I was when it would fail? Has not happened in many years tho.

If there is time on the clock, I'd try to get them to replace or re-flash the BCM and see if that fixes the issues.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
That's almost every module on the canbus. I wonder if you have a bad canbus connector.

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #9
That's almost every module on the canbus. I wonder if you have a bad canbus connector.
That’s my thoughts too. Especially with it displaying no bus on the cluster. Even more fun because it’s random.

IMG_2404.jpeg

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
That’s my thoughts too. Especially with it displaying no bus on the cluster. Even more fun because it’s random.

View attachment 110800

Makes me wonder if the union guys are getting burnt out on their jobs as this contract negotiation looms? This was just made, correct?

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #11
Makes me wonder if the union guys are getting burnt out on their jobs as this contract negotiation looms? This was just made, correct?
It was built April 19th and I was actually at the plant and watched them build it. All the plant staff was in good spirits when I was there.

Bowtie Guy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Amherstburg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Beer Mobile
It was built April 19th and I was actually at the plant and watched them build it. All the plant staff was in good spirits when I was there.
Hopefully you find out the issue quickly

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Under normal circumstances, I'd dump it immediately! But this is not something that can be replaced. If I really wanted the car, I'd see how long I could keep the lemon law option open and give them a chance to fix it. With electrical issues, sometimes everything is caused by a single fault. Sometimes you can find and replace the fault and everything is great forever. Sometimes not...

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Yeah, bad star port maybe?

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #15
Under normal circumstances, I'd dump it immediately! But this is not something that can be replaced. If I really wanted the car, I'd see how long I could keep the lemon law option open and give them a chance to fix it. With electrical issues, sometimes everything is caused by a single fault. Sometimes you can find and replace the fault and everything is great forever. Sometimes not...
That’s where I’m stuck, normally I’d just walk and order another one, but like you said the car is irreplaceable at this point.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Lemon. Dump it.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I think if I did give it back, I would also trade in my C8 Stingray and pick up an Audi RS6 Avant but I'd have to drive one first and see if they actually have any emotion to them, I seriously doubt they have as much personality as a Redeye.
Every time my girlfriend comes home after driving her RS6 Avant she says "This car is bat shit crazy!".

Yes, she really likes her Redeye, but has never said anything like that about it. About the closest would be when I took her for a ride in my 'Cat, then did a surprise 60-120.

That made her say "Holy fuck!". And then order her Redeye.

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Every time my girlfriend comes home after driving her RS6 Avant she says "This car is bat shit crazy!".

Yes, she really likes her Redeye, but has never said anything like that about it. About the closest would be when I took her for a ride in my 'Cat, then did a surprise 60-120.

Bingo! Whenever I give someone a ride, I lean on it at about 60, they never forget it! It is a bit boring to drive around town, but the occasional modest acceleration sure reminds me why I'll be keeping it!

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #19
I checked a bunch of electrical connections on the car, at the bcm, under the hood etc, and can't find anything loose or obvious at this point. The car has also been fine for the past 2 days that I've driven it so who knows when the issue is going to rear its ugly head again. I do really love this car and the spec, but I have my 2015 Challenger Hellcat and race car life can be difficult as it is, I don't need a new car that could be a potential basket case. It could be a really easy fix, or it could be a giant pain in the ass and right now I'm not really willing to roll those dice.

I stopped by and test-drove the RS6 Avant I've been eyeing today. Absolutely gorgeous car drives incredibly well and definitely has a Jekyll/hyde personality. It is incredibly refined which hides the speed and some of the wow factor for me, but I didn't push it super hard on the test drive. Definitely gotta wait for the turbos to light but then it's a rocket.

RS6.jpg

Long story short, I left a deposit on the RS6, the Redeye goes back to the dealer Monday.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle