Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Durango SRT hole in wheel arch liner

Member ID
Reactions
City
Wallmerod
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
Vehicle
Durango SRT 2019
Hi there,

brief question in the group. I have a 2019 DDSRT. My wheel arch liner on the driver's side is made of plastic. On the passenger side it is made of felt.

Last year the passenger side was broken. There was a bigger hole there. Since I had a problem with the bumper anyway, I assumed that the repair work was a bit inaccurate there. Shortly afterwards I had the defective wheel arch liner replaced.

A year later today, when I changed my tires, I found that I had a hole again. The wheel does not rub against the part when it is stationary. The only explanation I have is that when I drive very fast (250kmh) this felt wheelhouse shell bulges towards the front wheel due to the air resistance, and then briefly grinds until a lock is in it.

How is it with the other SRT drivers?

Does anyone have any idea what you can do other than buy a new wheel arch liner every time?

Greetings
David

Attachments

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
You may have has something lodged in your tire tread at the time. Do you go down lots of dirt or gravel roads?

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I could see air pushing it towards the wheel at those speeds. So on a Charger scat packs there are holes in liners for brake cooling along with Hellcats for intercooler cooling. You said you had bumper work and being I don't have a Durango so I don't know what they should look like could they have replaced the liners with a different model liners so now the air coming in the front has nowhere to go?
If they are suppose to be solid and the air coming in goes really nowhere you could cover the holes from the bumper from behind. That would also free up drag at those speeds being the air is going in and can't get out very well and by covering them the air will move around so less drag

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Never knew one side was felt and the other plastic. Here is our passenger felt side. Looks pretty normal.
3FE7FA57-F7FD-43CF-A2AF-18114C705403.jpeg 1AA55C12-54EB-49A0-B722-C043E9A37FA6.jpeg

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I'll go double check, but I don't think I have any holes.

However our normal top speed is ~85mph, max speed to date is 105mph.

(And nothing "off road" except a rare road-base driveway.)

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
No cooling hole? Does air go into the front or is it blocked?
Comes in through here
198434E7-61D3-4476-A910-7ED080DF2980.jpeg 14C2FBD0-4CF3-4F89-9AD5-E6EE8F4B1994.jpeg

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
So there should be no air pushing the liner into the tire at speeds then. Any hole by the fog light?

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
So there should be no air pushing the liner into the tire at speeds then. Any hole by the fog light?
Yep and directly behind the mesh is the liner. I don’t think my wife is doing 155 though. Something to keep an eye on. Another possibility could be that the op’s felt not secured with screws allowing more flex. His right bottom screw doesn’t look like it grabbed 🤷
4D06AD14-C983-461C-95CB-EBA2A6D134A8.jpeg

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Yep and directly behind the mesh is the liner. I don’t think my wife is doing 155 though. Something to keep an eye on. Another possibility could be that the op’s felt not secured with screws allowing more flex. His right bottom screw doesn’t look like it grabbed 🤷
View attachment 58405
I was thinking there may be a hole there being it probably goes no where would be an option to block it from inside

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Hi there,

brief question in the group. I have a 2019 DDSRT. My wheel arch liner on the driver's side is made of plastic. On the passenger side it is made of felt.

Last year the passenger side was broken. There was a bigger hole there. Since I had a problem with the bumper anyway, I assumed that the repair work was a bit inaccurate there. Shortly afterwards I had the defective wheel arch liner replaced.

A year later today, when I changed my tires, I found that I had a hole again. The wheel does not rub against the part when it is stationary. The only explanation I have is that when I drive very fast (250kmh) this felt wheelhouse shell bulges towards the front wheel due to the air resistance, and then briefly grinds until a lock is in it.

Does anyone have any idea what you can do other than buy a new wheel arch liner every time?

Greetings
David
Oh and welcome to the forum!

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Hi there,

Greetings
David

Welcome to our place as well!

So when I went out and checked, I did not find any holes from either rocks punching through or tire rubbing.

However, what I did find that surprised me is that on the Driver's side, the liner is actually a two piece arrangement, and while the rear piece is the "felt", the forward piece is the normal plastic. On the Passenger's side, it's a single piece, and made of the "felt".

OP
Muttertheresia
Member ID
Reactions
City
Wallmerod
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
Vehicle
Durango SRT 2019
Thread Starter #14
Good morning everyone.
Thank you for all the feedback and photos. Because of the time shift. I don't understand why Dodge uses different materials on both sides. It is likely that no high speeds were used in development and testing. For you in the USA there are stricter rules anyway. The German autobahn is awesome. But I can say that the performance and the road holding at 260kmh where it is regulated is sensationally good. A great car. I once looked at Rockauto to see if there was another wheel arch liner. There is another one with the name MOPAR 57010368AK displayed, but it looks like it is made of felt. I was hoping to find one that might also be made of plastic.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Pretty sure they use felt for sound deadening. Maybe there’s more direct access to the cabin on that side. The fact that they use it only on one side tells me that that the plastic is cheaper so they stick with that on the other side.