Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

DRAGRCR RED EYES

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
More updates and thoughts from a tuner on the hiccup 1-2 shift.

Curt had this to say:

"I'm almost positive that the hiccup is torque management. It's probably fuel cut. Get me a log of it and I can confirm for you."

It might be a bit before I can get a log at a track, but I'll get it done eventually, lol. Torque management has been making sense to me, especially since it's such a much lowered value in the Redeye vs Demon.

OP
D

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thread Starter #402
X

Last edited:

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
If the COT is based on a calculation then how would mid pipes or removing the cats completely fool anything? I don't understand this. If this is in the computer it will happen cats or no cats would it not?
This is the reason I was going to install the simulators. It would trick the computer into thinking the cats weren't hot just like it controls the temps without cats.

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
Once I data log my car at the track and confirm my Redeye does or does not have a hiccup in the shifting I'll escalate it to Dodge. Ron has much more track experience than I do and knows what to expect/feel when driving. I'll have to rely on my datalogs to see if there is something that just doesn't seem right. Speedy looked at my rolling pull I just did and gave me some suggestions of what extra channels to add (Thanks!).

Anyone else that is experiencing this should escalate and report the problem. The more people we have reporting it, the sooner we are more likely to get a fix.

Ralph

Member ID
Reactions
City
Glendale
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat REWB

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
Anybody have a tazer that can reset adaptives before there runs? This may be something to try and supply data to dodge if it works.

OP
D

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thread Starter #407
X

Last edited:

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
I did a capacitive discharge on my car at the track first time out. Disconnect the battery and short the cables together. All it did was dump my SRT features for 3 hours. It did not help with the Hiccup at all.
Interesting did it seem to shift different? I can reset on the fly and my car instantly changes it's characteristic's.

OP
D

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thread Starter #409
X

Last edited:

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye

Listen to and watch the Demon shift in the roll race at 6:22 in this video.

Who knows what modes they are driving the car in though and if they are paddle shifting in D/M or just in drive...I'd suspect in a roll race they are at least in D using the paddles. But at the same this if they don't know the car well...they could be trying to shift in M and then it would be easy to hit the rev limiter..

Hard to believe that video is ~2 years old already.

Last edited:

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB

Listen to and watch the Demon shift in the roll race at 6:22 in this video.

Who knows what modes they are driving the car in though and if they are paddle shifting in D/M or just in drive...I'd suspect in a roll race they are at least in D using the paddles. But at the same this if they don't know the car well...they could be trying to shift in M and then it would be easy to hit the rev limiter..

Hard to believe that video is ~2 years old already.
Yep, hard downshift thru more than one gear. I have heard that on this video before. Then it pulls like a bull. Sounds like what the HC would do often, the RE don’t do that as much, but you have to be a bit goofy to smash the pedal that quickly on either car. Notice later on as he presses the right pedal properly and slowly driving around the course, the car responds like a champ. That is the way the RE sounded all last weekend. It IS a strong runner when driven right. I have been told by more than one Vette driver (with a supercharger), the RE has a noticeable ability to pull out of the corners at a very quick rate. Interesting, that is NEVER at WOT! Slowly pressing and having a NEAR WOT can produce neck braking shifts at speeds say from 40-80. Think 60-80 mph constant roll races folks. The dragstrip has different techniques, but we can modulate it more on the road course. I would probably NOT want a flash to have it shift any harder for the course, otherwise it could be a traction problem at some gear changes.

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
I have to say, the REWB drives different than my '16 A8 Cat did. The way the trans shifts (hunts a lot more, inconsistent harshness and holds gears longer on decel) and throttle response (sluggish) are the biggest things that pop right out. Obviously the electric steering feels different, but not a huge amount. It's definitely taking some getting used to.

OP
D

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thread Starter #413
X

Last edited:

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
I'm still confused at the fact that some RE's will race just fine and at least one won't.

OP
D

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thread Starter #415
X

Last edited:

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
There is a Poll on here and several of them have the Hiccup. Actually if you look at it carefuly more have it than don't. In my case I have time slips that clearly show that slows the car down by .2 or more. I don't know of any regular Hellcats that have this problem. So they gave us Demon Power but only want to let Hellcat power flow on the gear changes. So lame........
I've read that thread. Most of the issues I see described in it are the car protecting itself from overrevving and such ON THE STREET. My car is like this, so is yours and, I suspect, all of them. That isn't a concern for me as I'm personally happy that the car will help my old ass reflexes from spinning it around in the road(ala Mustang).

That isn't my confusion at all. My confusion lies more in the fact that mine never does this on track and yours does it all the time on the track. If it were a programming issue then it would seem to me that I'd have the same hiccup. I realize yours is a '20 and mine's a '19 but I can't imagine why this issue would possibly be a year model thing...??

OP
D

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thread Starter #417
X

Last edited:

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
So there was a big thread on LXforums about this issue that Mike @ Diablo Sport was tracking. There were logs upon logs showing that the car would fall flat between shifts and eventually it went no where with Dodge and they eventually gave up. Your car is bad ass and I look forward to seeing more with it. Also why did you give up the Demon for this, I'm confuzzled on that, sorry if I'm late to the party with that Q.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Yes the car shifts really good at anything less than WOT. But you know me............Damn Torque Managment !
I know it, I feel your pain, you guys have to be wide open and are looking at tenths of seconds in a total of 10-11 seconds. Way different than what I use it for. They are fun, if I can do anything to help let me know.

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
I 100% agree as far as Street Driving. The car is operating as designed.

On the track I agree. I think my car will keep doing this every pass. I was thinking, but not sure, maybe mine does it because I got a particularly strong Engine. My MPH possibly indicates this. Remember Jim Wilder hit someone up at the Factory to watch over my build. But I honestly think that is a stretch. Because how much do you think a rack of 12 engines at the Assy Plant will vary? I bet they don't vary that much. Unless that little bit of power difference puts the car over the edge and is causing it to over react.

I just got an email from my FCA level 2 Rep and he said they are waiting for a response from Corporate Rescources to decide what to do. Dang that sounds important.
Your theory makes as much sense as anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.