Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Do you drive your hellcat in the rain?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I love bustin balls...I either ignore you..or bust yer balls...;);)
I'm not offended.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
My HC was spotless underneath..(summer build)..my Demon looked like it was run @ the salt flats for a month...I spent weeks under that car on the lift...salt was EVERYWHERE...I was not happy...:mad:
Mine sat for 6 weeks (summer time) under a palm tree @ the stupid dealership :mad: Had tons of water spots when I took delivery. Paint cleaned up pretty easy, but I spent months getting the spots off those damn stripes. Almost had them removed at one point. Since my car was a summer build, underneath was salt free (y)

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Mine sat for 6 weeks (summer time) under a palm tree @ the stupid dealership :mad: Had tons of water spots when I took delivery. Paint cleaned up pretty easy, but I spent months getting the spots off those damn stripes. Almost had them removed at one point. Since my car was a summer build, underneath was salt free (y)
The Charger was in inventory for about 6 months. It took some serious work to get the paint looking good.

The stripes were filled with wax or something and looked horrible. I used a ceramic polish that removed it all.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
The Charger was in inventory for about 6 months. It took some serious work to get the paint looking good.

The stripes were filled with wax or something and looked horrible. I used a ceramic polish that removed it all.
Yeah the texture on those CF stripes does not play well with most waxes and many quick detailers (ask me how I know :rolleyes:).
Once cleaned up & sealed, mine have been pretty easy to manage. Did start to get some corner lifting on the front bumper bits where they overlap, but I just carefully glued them down with a tiny bit of Gorilla clear glue (applied with a toothpick).

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Yeah the texture on those CF stripes does not play well with most waxes and many quick detailers (ask me how I know :rolleyes:).
Once cleaned up & sealed, mine have been pretty easy to manage. Did start to get some corner lifting on the front bumper bits where they overlap, but I just carefully glued them down with a tiny bit of Gorilla clear glue (applied with a toothpick).
Mine were rolling up inside the trunk and hood. Selling dealer refused to do anything about it.

That manager took the deal that I got personally. I found out that he was fired not long after that.

Anyway, I took it to another dealer and they took care of them. Been using them for any dealer work needed since.

B5Cat16

Member ID
Reactions
City
S
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I have a dedicated rainy day car. 95 Honda Accord Coupe. The other 7 cars NEVER EVER SEE RAIN!!!! No way in hell!!!!

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
The M6 was built in Dec, bought it in Sept, these photos are the 1st oil change a month later. Obviously salt spray accumulated in the plastic pan under the engine, maybe it should have some drain holes. Doesn't hurt the performance, it did 185+ in the 1.5mi last year. None of this will affect the life of the car.

IMG_5120.JPG IMG_5123.JPG IMG_5129.JPG

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
I think about this a lot & just can't bring myself to let go like that - sucks to be me some days :rolleyes:.

When I think back, I've actually had more fun with some of my POS beaters ! Park anywhere, don't care about the miles, door dings, keeping it clean, being stolen, tossing grimey shit in the trunk or bed, time to change the oil - meh I'll get around to it ............................
Most cars end up being beaters, and we all know that from day 1, so why do we obsess over the first 5-10 years??? ;)

Like if someone slammed into you and totaled the car, and you got a nice check and bought it back from the insu co and repaired it, you end up with the same great car, extra cash in your pocket, and no worries about someone slamming into you again! :D

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Most cars end up being beaters, and we all know that from day 1, so why do we obsess over the first 5-10 years??? ;)

Like if someone slammed into you and totaled the car, and you got a nice check and bought it back from the insu co and repaired it, you end up with the same great car, extra cash in your pocket, and no worries about someone slamming into you again! :D

Many have tried to convince me to change my ways, I've tried, but I just can't bring myself to do it :unsure:

Most convincing argument was from someone who said it was like only occasionally having sex with your hot girlfriend so she'd be 'fresh' for the next guy.
Now that one did get me thinking more about getting in the 'Cat more often & putting the spurs to her :whistle: but she's still a garage queen.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Many have tried to convince me to change my ways, I've tried, but I just can't bring myself to do it :unsure:

Most convincing argument was from someone who said it was like only occasionally having sex with your hot girlfriend so she'd be 'fresh' for the next guy.
Now that one did get me thinking more about getting in the 'Cat more often & putting the spurs to her :whistle: but she's still a garage queen.
I don't feel that it's wrong to keep a hot rod or two in the garage for "special" occasions.

I can't handle the "gotta keep the miles down so it doesn't lose value" thing. I tried it and got 0 enjoyment from it.

Last edited:

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

My reply would be..I have six hot girlfriends that I can enjoy anytime I want..and they are always fresh as a daisy....:giggle::giggle::giggle:;)

OP
covidcommander

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Thread Starter #72
These cars have sat in dirt/gravel yards before getting shipped, many on open haulers and then on the dealership lots. Look at where the 170s are being held.

There's not 1 of these cars that hasn't been, at least, rained on.
Agreed, seen pics of them in snow and ice. Covered in salt debris

OP
covidcommander

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Thread Starter #73
The M6 was built in Dec, bought it in Sept, these photos are the 1st oil change a month later. Obviously salt spray accumulated in the plastic pan under the engine, maybe it should have some drain holes. Doesn't hurt the performance, it did 185+ in the 1.5mi last year. None of this will affect the life of the car.

View attachment 132327 View attachment 132328 View attachment 132329
What I'm worried about it lookin like

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
What did you find that worked well cleaning the stripes?

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I had success with these 2 approaches (recommended by 3M btw), assumption is car has been washed & dried before doing any of this. Also, both of these will remove any wax or quick detailer and even mess with ceramic coatings, so I put down a w-i-d-e blue tape border around the strips. You want to work 'wet' but not rolling off the car wet. Use MF cloths only or a very, very soft brush if absolutely needed. To remove the cleaner, I used wet bath towels to wipe down the area I was working, then MF to dry. You may need to go over them more than once depending on how bad they are & how baked in the stuff is.

Based in type/degree of contamination, use one of more of these solutions, in the order shown, to remove any build-up:
1. Hot, soapy water solution (Dawn is best for this - not too soapy then be sure to rinse well)
2. Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) and water (ratio 2:1)

They also mention Simple Green but I found that to be streaky. Key is NEVER rub hard/scrub or use any sort of abrasive brush or you will permanently mar the surface. Once clean & dry, I started applying 303 with a MF covered sponge going up & down, then back & forth & finishing by lightly wiping in single swipes top to bottom with a fresh MF sponge. Mine needed multiple, lite applications over the course of 3 or 4 days to come out 'even'. I put that finishing sponge in a baggie (it has a small amount of 303 on it) and use it for a quick refresh after washing.

Pro tip - go to one of the websites that sell vinyl wrap and order some 1' x 1' samples (3M Carbon Fiber series) or even a few feet of the stuff. You can use that to practice on and try different coatings/cleaners etc. to see what works/looks best !

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
No, never. Well the Redeye got a couple drops on it one time.😡

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
No, never. Well the Redeye got a couple drops on it one time.😡
I don't mind getting it rained or snowed on, that makes them cleaner, but driving in the wet is different.

Here's mine shortly after getting it, becoming cleansed. It was very dirty when I picked it up. DSCN2349.JPG

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I don't mind getting it rained or snowed on, that makes them cleaner, but driving in the wet is different.

Here's mine shortly after getting it, becoming cleansed. It was very dirty when I picked it up. View attachment 132442
@ least ya got the good hood...(not that Joe Camel thing)..(y)(y);)

OP
covidcommander

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Thread Starter #79

Here's mine shortly after getting it, becoming cleansed. It was very dirty when I picked it up. View attachment 132442
Mine was filthy when I got it. Washed it daily for a week and got it pretty clean

areuriding

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Manassas Park
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 REWB
I DD mine until it gets down to freezing temps.