Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

DGatzby and I playing tag at Brainerd

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Sorry to hear about the rain but it appears to be a little too common the past few days. I can't get my driveway sealed again until it lets up for a couple of days.
I'm happy to hear the alignment change solved the rear end wiggle issue.
Have you considered Toyo RR tires in a 325/30?
What a dilemma! They seem to work fine, but they are so, so loud! But, I will say, they seem to be a great value. I can’t kill them off TD! Not even the left front yesterday, and that was amazing.

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
I was driving the video car, my 16 Challenger. @DGatzby was in his 19 Redeye ahead.
How much fuel does the ol girl burn on that kind of a romp? Mine gets thirsty with just a few WOT's on the road when I drive. Not those extended pulls like the track offers.

The Max

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toms River
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Finally had a chance to watch your outstanding video! Thanks for sharing and just awesome graphics felt like we were driving the course.

BTW, you are having too much fun! Must be fun showing people how to drive a 4,000 lb plus car and kicking ass and taking names!

Wondering what High Performance Driving classes you have taken and or any recommendations?

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
How much fuel does the ol girl burn on that kind of a romp? Mine gets thirsty with just a few WOT's on the road when I drive. Not those extended pulls like the track offers.
About 4-5 mpg! Or nearly a gallon per lap. Road America was right at about one gal per lap with their over four mile course. We never start a session without a full tank. I had a low fuel light once last week, because they let us run nearly 30 minutes.

OP
TrackDay

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
Thread Starter #45
I actually have my fuel gauge shown in the video. It's the first time I've recorded it. It used about 20% of the tank in 12 minutes in the video.
I normally start the day with a full tank and add 5 gallons after each 20 minute session. That's not quite back to full each time but it's close enough that in 3 to 4 sessions per day I never get below a half tank.
The below picture shows what my predicted fuel range is after I fill up. The car estimates about 4 mpg, so 76 miles total range. 😳
20200421_180947.jpg

OP
TrackDay

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
Thread Starter #46
Wondering what High Performance Driving classes you have taken and or any recommendations?
Thanks for the compliments.
I've never been to a professional driving school. I've just done a lot of autocrosses over the years and a lot of track days.
I'm finally taking a 2 day Advanced Road Racing class in late July at Bondurant. Couldn't pass up the big sale going on.

McLovin

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Syracuse
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Seeing you 2 at that track makes me realize just how mismatched the track I am local to is for these beasts.

Although I may have an opportunity to run Watkins Glen a bit later on this year, so at least that should be much better suited to the car.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Hickstah Heah,
Looking into Brainarard Race Track,
I am planning a fall trip to Dahonega, Ga, weekend to the speed way, 3 days in Chattanooga, train trip to Copper Hill, and the all god stop in Atlanta to sea the bro. And hold my breath. Sept into Oct should have enough masks by then. Pack my own food, masks, and kick my ver gin na tee into affect,,, should kill me.

OP
TrackDay

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
Thread Starter #49
Seeing you 2 at that track makes me realize just how mismatched the track I am local to is for these beasts.
When I lived in Detroit I frequented M1 and Waterford. I never got much over 120 mph at either track but it was great practice and I still passed a lot of cars our cars aren't supposed to pass.
How close are you to NJMP? I see several high HP cars make videos there.

McLovin

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Syracuse
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
When I lived in Detroit I frequented M1 and Waterford. I never got much over 120 mph at either track but it was great practice and I still passed a lot of cars our cars aren't supposed to pass.
How close are you to NJMP? I see several high HP cars make videos there.
A little over 300 miles. Which doesn't sound like much, but I don't trailer.

Those tracks you mention sounds similar to mine, which is really a bike track (NYST). One long straight that gets me to 125 - 130 and another shorter one that you can hit right around 100. Found this out there. It'll give you some idea of how tight this place is.

NYST

Don't get me wrong, these things are a blast no matter the track. I just think both me and the car would be much happier at a track better suited to it's strengths.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hickstah Heah,
Looking into Brainarard Race Track,
I am planning a fall trip to Dahonega, Ga, weekend to the speed way, 3 days in Chattanooga, train trip to Copper Hill, and the all god stop in Atlanta to sea the bro. And hold my breath. Sept into Oct should have enough masks by then. Pack my own food, masks, and kick my ver gin na tee into affect,,, should kill me.
Hickstah my brother, this is Brainerd International in Baxter, MN, not the dragstrip in GA. This is the NHRA favorite on their championship tour every August. Bring that beast up here and let it breathe some cold air later this year.

350790DE-7151-4A63-9A4A-2F65C0BAE959.jpeg

HarleyHetz

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
ARLINGTON
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Sublime Widebody Challenger Hellcat
Man that looks like fun!!!

OP
TrackDay

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
Thread Starter #53

HarleyHetz

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
ARLINGTON
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Sublime Widebody Challenger Hellcat
That's because it is fun. Come on out.
Man, I'd LOVE to come out and run with you guys, but MN is a bit far for me to dash up for a track day!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I know that they have them here in Memphis once in awhile...my boss runs his Corvettes there, I'll have to see about getting out there with them!

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
We are glad everyone likes the videos. Sorry about being late to the party. The car has been a challenge to get right this year. There is really no excitement in my version of June 23. I am glad to add some character and personality to TD’s video above. I was having problems again with Harry’s app, which makes for a frustrating day also. This session is about all I could put together for production. It is long, because it is not worth cutting up.

Both TD and I were not turning our expected lap times, but still enjoyed running in the same group and visiting about our mutual passion. I predict his Son will soon bury most of us soon, when he comes of age to be in the sessions. We both wanted to achieve a goal that day, personally we were both ready, but at least my equipment was not going to allow us to explore a little secret we shall keep btw us for now.

Now the car. Some know I have modified the REWB suspension including control arms, bushings and wheels and tires. I began to notice a problem at Road America with stability, early in June, but here on the smooth and very familiar home track, OMG was a big problem apparent! Using the AAD system to change camber results in big toe changes we know now. This video reveals what problems I was putting up with all day. I post all the laps in the afternoon session because it shows fairly consistently a big wobble of the car at WOT and if everyone watches my throttle on the overlay in the straights, anyone who knows me, knows the last thing I’ll do is let up on our best attribute; acceleration! Some of the short straights caused me to let up quick, because it was just bouncing and darting at the rear, other times on the long straights you see me fight it until my balls split! But it was rare to get any real good speed, and so these laps generally suck! Many times I was just driving the technical course as smooth as I could with little braking! The real sign I am not making it happen in the speed department, is my Hawk pads have lasted two RA days, this day and a half day now on the comp course at BIR. That should not happen. But enjoy, even with a crappy alignment, the RE still managed okay times, but the boat was a handful all day. It definitely has much better lap times in its future. After this session, I came in and told @TrackDay I was done. That was my best, but something was fighting me and it needed to be looked at. Well, this was what the alignment rack said when we put it up last week!

F0D3AB05-67C3-4E2B-954E-5A242F88436F.jpeg

When the toe is that far off, here is what happens, it may look okay to some, but, this was no fun at times.

The Max

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toms River
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Thanks for showing us your video. Hard to see in video but man that is a death wobble!

Hopefully you resolve that issue before your next time on the track!

We are glad everyone likes the videos. Sorry about being late to the party. The car has been a challenge to get right this year. There is really no excitement in my version of June 23. I am glad to add some character and personality to TD’s video above. I was having problems again with Harry’s app, which makes for a frustrating day also. This session is about all I could put together for production. It is long, because it is not worth cutting up.

Both TD and I were not turning our expected lap times, but still enjoyed running in the same group and visiting about our mutual passion. I predict his Son will soon bury most of us soon, when he comes of age to be in the sessions. We both wanted to achieve a goal that day, personally we were both ready, but at least my equipment was not going to allow us to explore a little secret we shall keep btw us for now.

Now the car. Some know I have modified the REWB suspension including control arms, bushings and wheels and tires. I began to notice a problem at Road America with stability, early in June, but here on the smooth and very familiar home track, OMG was a big problem apparent! Using the AAD system to change camber results in big toe changes we know now. This video reveals what problems I was putting up with all day. I post all the laps in the afternoon session because it shows fairly consistently a big wobble of the car at WOT and if everyone watches my throttle on the overlay in the straights, anyone who knows me, knows the last thing I’ll do is let up on our best attribute; acceleration! Some of the short straights caused me to let up quick, because it was just bouncing and darting at the rear, other times on the long straights you see me fight it until my balls split! But it was rare to get any real good speed, and so these laps generally suck! Many times I was just driving the technical course as smooth as I could with little braking! The real sign I am not making it happen in the speed department, is my Hawk pads have lasted two RA days, this day and a half day now on the comp course at BIR. That should not happen. But enjoy, even with a crappy alignment, the RE still managed okay times, but the boat was a handful all day. It definitely has much better lap times in its future. After this session, I came in and told @TrackDay I was done. That was my best, but something was fighting me and it needed to be looked at. Well, this was what the alignment rack said when we put it up last week!

View attachment 19491

When the toe is that far off, here is what happens, it may look okay to some, but, this was no fun at times.

The Max

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toms River
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Thanks for the compliments.
I've never been to a professional driving school. I've just done a lot of autocrosses over the years and a lot of track days.
I'm finally taking a 2 day Advanced Road Racing class in late July at Bondurant. Couldn't pass up the big sale going on.
Been to several skip barber driving classes and I learned that I didn't know how to drive, or really how to push a vehicle for better lap times.

These experiences you will never forget and you'll be a better driver afterwards.

Immediately after my first performance driving class I demanded my whole family go for the classes. But to no avail.

Hopefully you come in first place in your time trials. Good Luck

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thanks for showing us your video. Hard to see in video but man that is a death wobble!

Hopefully you resolve that issue before your next time on the track!
Oh, so I should finish. Yes, it is nearly resolved. I did run the track again last Monday. I’ll post some videos on our video thread of the short track. I was cautious and continued to do some brake preservation, along with use of different tires/wheels, but it seemed fine. I was literally just going to begin some serious hot laps of the big course Monday afternoon, but the rain hit. I know it was going to be better, because just warming up on the second lap, my lap time was the same as the best laps on the video above! One more trip to the alignment rack after I replace the rear toe arms to AAD for a read on it and just a minor tweak up front and I think I’ll have something. Probably will be September, it needs to cool off up here and I need to make some money.

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
I had a little bit of fun with @DGatzby at Brainerd last week. We did a track day with our local Corvette owners group. Here's a video of a part of Session 2. I catch up with @DGatzby at around 7 minutes into the video.
YouTube Video
Nice driving! What a great day to wring out your Hellcats.

OP
TrackDay

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
Thread Starter #60
I know that they have them here in Memphis once in awhile...my boss runs his Corvettes there, I'll have to see about getting out there with them!
I used to go to Memphis Motorsports Park in my GLH Turbo. That course has some similarity to Brainerd. Full drag strip and high speed banked turn at the end of it.
You also have Barber and NCM not too far from you.