Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Demon 170, will any be 100k, probably not

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat, Demon, Trackhawk and project X,
I think tires are an issue as the car sits
I heard fuel issues
But this could be the limiter
I ve heard about driveshaft issues also
Did Ron not break his already ?

From the screen dumps you posted it looks like Dodge is doing some back peddling already
Yes, it was reported that Ron broke the shaft in Texas.

RacerX asked the questions and shared the screen shots of the responses from SRT.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Those responses from SRT made zero sense. It's speed limited to 149, but wait in Drag Mode it can exceed the speed limiter "briefly" :LOL:

Now someone will go out and take the car up past 149 in Drag just to see.

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Not to throw coal on the fire; but I saw the original statement on Dodge Garage and assumed it to be correct; when it came out that the 200 mph speedometer of the 2018 Demon was being changed to 220 mph on the 170. I find it all very interesting. I can only assume as others have said; it must be a legal issue that came up.
That is not what the emails from SRT state is the reason. It may be the real reason but to spend a crazy amount of money for a car that is limited to 149 mph is cause for pause (for me). I am thankful mine has not been shipped yet as I have to really chew on this.

In the future who would want a car limited to 149 mph? A Tesla Plaid goes 193 mph + from the factory, the Lucid Saphire over 200 mph fYes I know these are EVs and I don't want to go down that rabbit hole (again).

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Those responses from SRT made zero sense. It's speed limited to 149, but wait in Drag Mode it can exceed the speed limiter "briefly" :LOL:

I know, however, if the PCM is locked, a tune will be required which makes it just another modified car. If they car needs to be modified to exceed 149 mph, why not just get a hellcat and save a shit load of money.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
How often would you plan to drive over 149mph?

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Right? For the very few people who race them, this may actually be a valid concern and issue to bring up.

Obviously people have gone over 150 in full 1/4 mile runs on the stock tune and the car seems to be just fine - no?

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Every time I race it is over 149 mph. If I purchase the vehicle at MSRP (which is questionable at this time) the cost is going to be around 130K. Do I want to pay that kinda money for a car that is speed limited? Better yet, what high horsepower car is speed regulated to 149 MPH and will there a 2nd market for this unicorn?

Can it be used to roll race? Not really, it is a one trick pony that the performance is capped at that. No point in chasing mine shaft DA or driving it really well, the ET will be capped.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Playing devil's advocate....

Dodge got a little over 151 outta the car in the 1/4 mile. I think a couple people have hit 150 so far in what I'd call great DA. It's not gonna go much faster than that without being modified. I would say going to a 315/55R17 tire will give you a little more as well, which most are saying the car needs anyway.

I can't comment on the roll race thing as I've not done that, but if it's at a 1/4 mile track then it's same same. 150 mph is gonna be about it stock.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Every time I’m WOT for over 8.5 seconds from a stop.

Until someone, in drag mode, stays WOT for a little while we won’t know how long after it hits 149 it will keep accelerating, or how the car responds to the speed limiter mid acceleration, or if it’ll stop accelerating at all. Thought guys were going faster than that on the dyno, but not sure the limiter would kick in on the rollers.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Speed limiter will be a lot like a rev limiter. It'll cut power until the car slows back to the programmed MPH.

I only exceeded 149mph once in Go Man Go but did A LOT of WOT testing and what not.

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer

Won't some please think of the investment value?!!!!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Here is a 2018 Demon going 211 mph, it appears to be stock.

2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon (Top Speed Test) (youtube.com)
Probably is stock. I stand by my statement that those speeds are very hard on equipment. I've seen a BUNCH of Challenger front air dams fly off ripping holes in the front bumper, hoods popping up, etc. That's on top of all the engine carnage. Being WOT for 30 seconds or more takes it's toll. Not something I'd subject my car to.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Probably is stock. I stand by my statement that those speeds are very hard on equipment. I've seen a BUNCH of Challenger front air dams fly off ripping holes in the front bumper, hoods popping up, etc. That's on top of all the engine carnage. Being WOT for 30 seconds or more takes it's toll. Not something I'd subject my car to.
You see body panels fly off at the drag strip.
Chalk it up to "shit happens"

Bowtie Guy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Amherstburg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Beer Mobile
This article is from 2018
Sound familiar
I remember all the same discussions back then
If you read below you see the legal workaround that Dodge used

The Demon is electronically limited to 168 mph thanks to the standard Nitto tires, making it the slowest car in the Hellcat family. Both the Hellcat Challenger and Charger have top speeds around 200 mph, while the Cherokee Trackhawk tops out at around 180 mph.

But, as Jason Fenske of Engineering Explained tells us, the Demon wasn't built for top speed—it was built to annihilate the quarter mile. Top speed stability is sacrificed for longitudinal grip provided by the 315-section width rear Nittos, making the wheelie launches and sub 10-second quarter-mile times possible.

Of course, the upgraded PCM that comes with the Demon Crate removes the speed limiter (and enables a 104-octane race gas tune), but technically Dodge considers that an aftermarket upgrade.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Sound familiar

The Demon is electronically limited to 168 mph thanks to the standard Nitto tires, making it the slowest car in the Hellcat family. Both the Hellcat Challenger and Charger have top speeds around 200 mph, while the Cherokee Trackhawk tops out at around 180 mph.

But, as Jason Fenske of Engineering Explained tells us, the Demon wasn't built for top speed—it was built to annihilate the quarter mile. Top speed stability is sacrificed for longitudinal grip provided by the 315-section width rear Nittos, making the wheelie launches and sub 10-second quarter-mile times possible.

Of course, the upgraded PCM that comes with the Demon Crate removes the speed limiter (and enables a 104-octane race gas tune), but technically Dodge considers that an aftermarket upgrade.
And the P code displays when the ECU is swapped.

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Sound familiar

That is another joke, the race pcm supplied in the crate (supplied by Dodge) that could only be installed by a Dodge dealer after the car has 500 miles in considered an aftermarket upgrade? Who is the aftermarket? Did installing the race pcm void the warranty? No it did not.

Regardless, the Demon170 does not have this option, the owner is stuck with 149 mph limit. It is not, imo, the same discussion, the race PCM solved the problem with the 2018 Demon. There is no current solution for the Demon170.

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
Speed ratings are generally rated for sustained speed, that is for example running 149 mph continuously without overheating and breaking up or something like that. I can see the ECU ignoring the speed limiter for x seconds or some reasonable period of time near or past the average 1/4 mile times, or the built-in timers figure that a 1/4 mile (give or take) has elapsed.

Weather Man

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sauk Rapids
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Hellcat Widebody Redeye
We can agree to disagree on that. The car was stated as the fastest production car ever produced. However, don't go over 149 mph, and don't race in any events that exceed 149 MPH. Yep, values are going to skyrocket.
A 2024 Mustang GT is set at 166 MPH. Granted, most Demons are garage queens, but damn, that would be embarrassing to get walked on top.

hell on wheels

Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Paul
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge SRT Demon
The OG Demon