Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Demon 170 performance in perspective…

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
I heard a nasty rumour that there is another Halo ICE car coming, D170 not the last one. From a a fairly well connected source, but we'll see...................
It sure looks like that Silver car has fender flares on the front. Maybe a "handling" HALO? Plus they were working on suspension at the Stellantis facility in Florida. Not likely DRAG suspension tuning. Right?

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
So if the current Challenger platform continues into the 2024 MY and has a V8 with a power adder, how pissed off are the "Last Call" buyers going to be...?

:LOL:
Stellantis would never screw their loyal customers. Would they? :rolleyes:

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
if their flex is setup to see e90 then my guess max timing is 18 degrees and 17 on e85.
second thing. It will have to bleed boost depending on ethonal content.
another thing to all the haters that say e85 can’t go through the factory cats. Well here you go.
My concern is with cat over temp still. These cars could still be really choked down just like the redeye.
So I just bought the MotorTrend issue that features the D170 build and gives a really nice send off to the Challenger platform. The history chronicles back to 1967. A must-read and buy imo if you love the Challenger, even if you are not getting the D170.

Anyhow, in that write-up and I quote here are some details on the E85 set up (see attachment).
IMG_0243.jpg

Given this 65% caveat for the tune, before locking in on a station to fill up at for the D170, it sounds like doing an area canvas for the best E85 might be in order. At a minimum, you're gonna want 65% alcohol content. Also, if I am reading this right, Dodge had to leave some of that tune off the table since 83% might only be available in a few select places. Given that, maybe there is a bit of room to get even more aggressive and modify the stock 170 tune if you could somehow consistently get 80+ E85. Then again maybe the internals are built to only withstand operating at 65%. I'll let the board's tuning experts take it from there!

BTW they also mention something here I read nowhere else. Micky Thompson tried to "bow out" since they weren't sure they could produce 3300 x 4 wheels for the car. In the end, Dodge convinced them to stay. Given this I plan to buy a set or two as soon as I take delivery of the D170.

Last edited:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
So I just bought the MotorTrend issue that features the D170 build and gives a really nice send off to the Challenger platform. The history chronicles back to 1967. A must-read and buy imo if you love the Challenger, even if you are not getting the D170.

Anyhow, in that write-up and I quote here are some details on the E85 set up (see attachment).
View attachment 104642

Given this 65% caveat for the tune, before locking in on a station to fill up at for the D170, it sounds like doing an area canvas for the best E85 might be in order. At a minimum, you're gonna want 65% alcohol content. Also, if I am reading this right, Dodge had to leave some of that tune off the table since 83% might only be available in a few select places. Given that, maybe there is a bit of room to get even more aggressive and modify the stock 170 tune if you could somehow consistently get 80+ E85. Then again maybe the internals are built to only withstand operating at 65%. I'll let the board's tuning experts take it from there!

BTW they also mention something here I read nowhere else. Micky Thompson tried to "bow out" since they weren't sure they could produce 3300 x 4 wheels for the car. In the end, Dodge convinced them to stay. Given this I plan to buy a set or two as soon as I take delivery of the D170.
At least here the content stays pretty consistent. I tested it all last year and the only time it changed was in the fall. This spring it was low 75% but finally hit 80% at one of the stations a few weeks ago. I stick with the same station but believe most if not all are getting the e85 from the same place

You could also get a drum E85r and mix it if you are looking for more. I tested Ethanol 1 at 96%

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye

View attachment 104642

There are numerous blend and multiplier tables. So e60 will not make the power of e85.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
That article isn't exactly accurate. E85 means E85. What the stations sell can vary (legally ?) from 51 - 83 however so maybe it's mincing words.

I use the same brand in my car and it tests E70 in the winter and E85 - E89 in the summer. Crystal clear and smells like moonshine in the summer and has just a tinge of gas smell in the winter although it's still crystal clear.

For tuning's sake I've always been taught that E70 and up is enough for max power and that last 15% doesn't mean a whole lot. Dodge going to E65 was a little surprising but they just left a couple degrees out of the tune which won't matter much either.

1611.jpg

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
@Speedy! May not matter in your tune. I’m willing to bet mine blows on e70 🤣

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Good point :ROFLMAO:

All joking a side I don't think the octane rating and knock resistance are that much higher once you get above E70 to E85. Now the special E98R fuel (or whichever) some people tune specifically for is out of bounds on that comment though.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
That article isn't exactly accurate. E85 means E85. What the stations sell can vary (legally ?) from 51 - 83 however so maybe it's mincing words.

I use the same brand in my car and it tests E70 in the winter and E85 - E89 in the summer. Crystal clear and smells like moonshine in the summer and has just a tinge of gas smell in the winter although it's still crystal clear.

For tuning's sake I've always been taught that E70 and up is enough for max power and that last 15% doesn't mean a whole lot. Dodge going to E65 was a little surprising but they just left a couple degrees out of the tune which won't matter much either.

View attachment 104657
Knock sensor humor:

Knock knock...
"Who's there?"
"Sensor"
"Sensor who?"
P0330

I don't agree with the sentiment that anything above e70 is good to go, I've had a shit ass time on anything but e85 or above.

1682964775515.png

vs rating of

1682964856484.png

this also assumes they cut it with 93, no one is forced to do do that...

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Speedy - I've been getting my pump E at Speedway in M'boro. Is there anywhere else in town that has a reliable supply?

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
I'd bet some good money "they" ain't cutting the E with 93!! In reality, you probably don't want to know what the other garbage is that I have heard they use

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
At least here the content stays pretty consistent. I tested it all last year and the only time it changed was in the fall. This spring it was low 75% but finally hit 80% at one of the stations a few weeks ago. I stick with the same station but believe most if not all are getting the e85 from the same place

You could also get a drum E85r and mix it if you are looking for more. I tested Ethanol 1 at 96%
What testing equipment do you use?

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer

View attachment 104657
Safety net.
This is why all these cars that get modified can make more power on stock parts before blowing up.

They don't want to have to fix everything. And 99.9% of the people don't want a ragged edge street car either.

Im curious if Dodge recommends using a tank of regular 91/93 in this from time to time.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Knock sensor humor:

Knock knock...
"Who's there?"
"Sensor"
"Sensor who?"
P0330

I don't agree with the sentiment that anything above e70 is good to go, I've had a shit ass time on anything but e85 or above.

View attachment 104658

vs rating of

View attachment 104659

this also assumes they cut it with 93, no one is forced to do do that...
Well, what you posted lines up with what I've been told. I'm not an expert here just sharing what's been told to me so YMMV but you can see the octane rating between E70 and E85 is very close at 15% less ethanol content and considering the volume of fluid as well there's the knock resistance. I've run my car WOT a lot on my E85 street tune on fuel that tested E70 and I never saw any STKR in the logs. I'm also not commanding 24° of timing either though. At the track I ONLY run Renegade Pro E85 so I know for sure it's good fuel with a good race base for that 15% that's not ethanol.

Speedy - I've been getting my pump E at Speedway in M'boro. Is there anywhere else in town that has a reliable supply?
Speedway is the best I've ever seen and all I run in mine. I've tested at several locations and they've all been identical. I typically use the one on M'boro road in Smyrna or the one at the Almaville rd exit off I24. I don't even test it anymore just fill up and go.

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Speedway is the best I've ever seen and all I run in mine. I've tested at several locations and they've all been identical. I typically use the one on M'boro road in Smyrna or the one at the Almaville rd exit off I24. I don't even test it anymore just fill up and go.
Thanks, I've been using the Speedway on South Church and the one in Shelbyville as we live about half way between the two. I've checked it regularly and since January it's been spot on E70 every time at both locations. It's good to hear that it's consistent at other locations too. Any idea when the E85 typically comes back?

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
What e85 test equipment do u all recommend?

So do you come with a canister and buy a dollar worth before purchasing? Sorry 100% new to this so it seems logistically a bit 🥜! ;)

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock

So do you come with a canister and buy a dollar worth before purchasing? Sorry 100% new to this so it seems logistically a bit 🥜! ;)
I use the Boostmonkey E tester. VERY simple to use. I keep a small gatorade bottle in the trunk to catch a bit of fuel at the pump and then test it at home. Not much to it once you get used to it.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

This year that is what I have been doing, buying a $1 worth. I have a small container I put some in and test it when I get home. You can get testers on amazon

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
I use the Boostmonkey E tester. VERY simple to use. I keep a small gatorade bottle in the trunk to catch a bit of fuel at the pump and then test it at home. Not much to it once you get used to it.
Thx. So the ounce or so in the” leftovers” from someone else’s gas up is enough to test? I’m just imagining buying 20 cents of gas to test every time 😂