Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Custom Hellcat Logo Trunk Light.

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
Well... while poking around the trunk, it struck me that it could use a little something special.

I decided on a custom Hellcat logo light.

I ordered a set of HC door puddle lights and fabricated a bracket, out of aluminum. The lights say the artwork will burn out after 5 minutes of play, and the trunk lights stay on longer than that.

At my shop, I built a small timer circuit, triggered by a 12 volt input, that would run for 2 minutes. Works like a charm.

When the trunk opens, the light turns on and remains for the 2 minute duration, or turns off, when the power source is removed.

It installs with an existing push pin, through the bracket. Removing one push pin, in that little niche, in the center of the upper trunk liner, allowed me to feed the power wires down to the driver side trunk light, without having to modify anything. 100% plug and play

Can't see it, when installed... just the logo, in the trunk floor. Totally stealth!

Check out the pix:

Bob

Attachments

Last edited:

Hellion

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Johnstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
Nice interior mod. I like it. (y)

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
Great idea! Pretty cool mod.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Glastonbury
State
CT
Country
United States
Clever

ASRT09

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
HOLDEN
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Looks great!

SNeal5966

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Scat Pack Challenger
Very Cool!

Quick question though, they say it burns out after 5 minutes? Why is that, the heat ruins whatever the light is projected through?

OP
Diboblo

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
Yeah... it's like an old projector. The heat from the 20 watt LED will burn a hole in it.

I could push the timer up to 3, or 4 minutes, but that's not really the point. I'm never in my trunk very long, anyway :)

I just built a timer to limit the light to 2 minutes and it works great.

Thanks for all the positive comments, guys!

Bob

Very Cool!

Quick question though, they say it burns out after 5 minutes? Why is that, the heat ruins whatever the light is projected through?

HarleyHetz

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
ARLINGTON
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Sublime Widebody Challenger Hellcat
Well... while poking around the trunk, it struck me that it could use a little something special.

I decided on a custom Hellcat logo light.

I ordered a set of HC door puddle lights and fabricated a bracket, out of aluminum. The lights say the artwork will burn out after 5 minutes of play, and the trunk lights stay on longer than that.

At my shop, I built a small timer circuit, triggered by a 12 volt input, that would run for 2 minutes. Works like a charm.

When the trunk opens, the light turns on and remains for the 2 minute duration, or turns off, when the power source is removed.

It installs with an existing push pin, through the bracket. Removing one push pin, in that little niche, in the center of the upper trunk liner, allowed me to feed the power wires down to the driver side trunk light, without having to modify anything. 100% plug and play

Can't see it, when installed... just the logo, in the trunk floor. Totally stealth!

Check out the pix:

Bob
Bob, very nice mod...what did you make your timer out of? Do you have schematics for it?
Thanks,
Jeff

OP
Diboblo

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
Bob, very nice mod...what did you make your timer out of? Do you have schematics for it?
Thanks,
Jeff
Hi Jeff.

I built a simple 555 Delay Before Turn Off circuit, following this tutorial:

http://www.learningaboutelectronics.com/Articles/555-timer-delay-before-turn-off-circuit.php

I don't remember what capacitor I used, but I do recall multiplying the value in the schematic, for the cap and resistor values.

Less than $5, for the entire circuit :)

Hope this helps.

Bob
Riverside, California

HarleyHetz

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
ARLINGTON
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Sublime Widebody Challenger Hellcat

ofdfiremedic

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Interesting, I like it, I have left my doors open for way longer than 5 minutes, has not burnt out or through anything.