Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Cams

SRT Frank

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
Has anyone canned there hellcat yet? I?m looking to put some long tubes w/ catted mid pipes a tune and a 270 loft cam, does anyone have any recommendations?

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
Check out Better Built Performance. I have there stage 2 cam.

JDG

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ph
State
AL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat
I wonder about the drive ability. I feel like this would be to much for my car but I love the sound.

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
I wonder about the drive ability. I feel like this would be to much for my car but I love the sound.
It’s gonna take some getting use to. Car will be ready next week. Put down 953hp and 937 Torque
On the dyno yesterday in 110 degree heat and humid as hell lol.

JDG

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ph
State
AL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat
It’s gonna take some getting use to. Car will be ready next week. Put down 953hp and 937 Torque
On the dyno yesterday in 110 degree heat and humid as hell lol.
Thats gonna be awesome. Ill have to get a ride in my buddies cammed ss to het a feel

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
It is good to see someone who will post up track results.

My Husbands Hellcat Challenger "Top Cat" has an HHP Cam by BES.
https://www.hellcat.org/threads/all-cams-are-not-created-to-make-real-horse-power.24657/post-1367929
"With our ported blower, heads and cam combo we've been seeing about 100 horsepower gains"
Joshua@HHP

Back in Aug/ 2016 Top Cat posted
"Having seen more than a few cam swaps of late which have no real testing to back up their claims to increase HP, most of these are old 5.7 cams which are not designed for the 6.2 Hellcat engine or slight changes from those profiles. Guys are bragging about lope but did they make HP? I can tell you in most cases NO, ask the owners who made those changes, some went back to the stock Hellcat cam and made more HP.
There is a new cam being tested by HHP, designed by Tony Bishoff of BES Racing engines, Tony is a master when it comes to modern hemi's, winning the " Engine Masters" and having the worlds fastest challenger running his engines, this is a first grind and maybe teaked but look for HHP to offer a real cam for our cars very shortly.
TC"

HHP/BES Custom Limiter Camshaft (2009-2016 5.7L/6.2L/6.4L RT/SRT/Hellcat Vehicles) - HHPVVTCAM

Please call us M-F, 9-6 Eastern time and HHP sales will gladly answer any questions you may have.
Toll Free: (888) 894-1115
Local: (302) 894-1115

Linda :)

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat, Demon, Trackhawk and project X,
The Demon/Redeye cam should be considered, the hellcat stock cam is really, really good. I have custom comp cam in my hellcat but the gains are marginal.

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
This is a custom grind done by Alex and company at Better Built Performance. Told Alex what I was doing with the car and he took it from there. I’m not a 1/4 or 1/8 mile guy over here. West coast tracks in California are ridiculous strict. Test and tune, track rentals & even street race nights..... if you hit a 9.99 they kick you off the track if you don’t have full role cage, NHRA license, helmet and fire proof jacket etc.. so on that note I will pass. I know this is a 9 second car so I don’t need a piece of paper to prove anything.Now 1/2 mile events I’m in. This is just a badass 426 stroker short block street set up that made more power than I thought.
Thanks to Tim Barth & Tommy getting those numbers in 110 degrees out side.
Also thanks to all members in here who I have learned a lot from every one!
Thanks guys and gals!
Also from the previous forum as well.

Last edited:

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
This is a custom grind done by Alex and company at Better Built Performance. Told Alex what I was doing with the car and he took it from there. I’m not a 1/4 or 1/8 mile guy over here. West coast tracks in California are ridiculous strict. Test and tune, track rentals & even street race nights..... if you hit a 9.99 they kick you off the track if you don’t have full role cage, NHRA license, helmet and fire proof jacket etc.. so on that note I will pass. I know this is a 9 second car so I don’t need a piece of paper to prove anything.Now 1/2 mile events I’m in. This is just a badass 426 stroker short block street set up that made more power than I thought.
Thanks to Tim Barth & Tommy getting those numbers in 110 degrees out side.
Also thanks to all members in here who I have learned a lot from every one!
Thanks guys and gals!
Also from the previous forum as well.
And you just have to love when the Heart of your car has a cooler louder sound![coolsmile]

We all don't run 1/4 miles. I think it is very interesting learning about other kinds of racing and achievements that are made!
WTG @Primetime Hellcat 17 [twothumb]

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
And you just have to love when the Heart of your car has a cooler louder sound![coolsmile]

We all don't run 1/4 miles. I think it is very interesting learning about other kinds of racing and achievements that are made!
WTG @Primetime Hellcat 17 [twothumb]

Thanks Linda......
learned a lot from you and Josh at HHP and have ordered multiple parts from them. Great customer service!

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
The Demon/Redeye cam should be considered, the hellcat stock cam is really, really good. I have custom comp cam in my hellcat but the gains are marginal.
I agree with this ..........

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
I agree with this ..........

This is stuff that you can only know by dyno pulls and time slips. Dodge did not leave much on the table in terms of HP when it comes to the cam, years ago the stock cams were terrible and one of the first thing that was done was to throw out the stock cam. I have a .455 lift purple cam in my 340, right out of the Direct Connection catalog, they had pages of purple shaft camshafts and listed exactly what cam was needed for a 14 second through a 9.5 second small block (same as for a big block).

Now, that stock roller cam is just killer, the only improvement, IMO is on the high end. There is a charger hellcat (Omega) going 9.03 on stock motor, stock IRS, just a pulley and some spray, that is how good the stock cam is.

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
This is stuff that you can only know by dyno pulls and time slips. Dodge did not leave much on the table in terms of HP when it comes to the cam, years ago the stock cams were terrible and one of the first thing that was done was to throw out the stock cam. I have a .455 lift purple cam in my 340, right out of the Direct Connection catalog, they had pages of purple shaft camshafts and listed exactly what cam was needed for a 14 second through a 9.5 second small block (same as for a big block).

Now, that stock roller cam is just killer, the only improvement, IMO is on the high end. There is a charger hellcat (Omega) going 9.03 on stock motor, stock IRS, just a pulley and some spray, that is how good the stock cam is.
Hey cole... take your gutted car on spray with your one time fast slip before it blew up and go else where!
I swear your like a fly stuck on $h..!

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hey cole... take your gutted car on spray with your one time fast slip before it blew up and go else where!
I swear your like a fly stuck on $h..!
Wow, I have blown it up several times, no secret, gutted? Hmm it has a NHRA certified 8.5 cage and all the other stuff needed. This is not about me, there are cats running low 9's and 8's with the stock camshaft, that is the truth, sorry if that bothers you, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
Wow, I have blown it up several times, no secret, gutted? Hmm it has a NHRA certified 8.5 cage and all the other stuff needed. This is not about me, there are cats running low 9's and 8's with the stock camshaft, that is the truth, sorry if that bothers you, but it is what it is.
Your right! It is what it is. I’m not a racer you are. I can care less what my car does in the 1/4 & 1/8 mile. I’m just lucky to have a bad ass hellcat and so are you!
Good luck to you cole. Just wish you weren’t so hard on people. Everyone is different with different builds and goals.
Good luck with your dam time slips.:D(y)

TMAC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mesa
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Among a long list of 'other' mods, I am having the OST Dyno Demon plus cam & kit installed in my HC.
I was lucky enough to score a low mile 2.7L Demon Supercharger a while back. Thats going on as well.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat

The demon/redeye cam is a great camshaft for a pulley'd car . Simple install and programming..... To bad it's so damn expensive to buy new. It really sings in the upper rpms!

TMAC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mesa
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Here is a nice sound clip of the OST Demon plus cam.....

Hellion

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Johnstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
I have the BES cam and ported heads. I really have not seen any real world results from the install. Most guys that install a cam want it for the sound. If you talk to us that race our cars I think you will find most of us all saying the same thing, no real increase in performance at the track.