Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

B Woody Heat Shield

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
It’s a very flexible silicone boot that attaches to the throttle body. I’ll be keeping an eye on my intake air temps when I get it out. First I have to drop the F%$*ing belly pan to retrieve a screw I dropped last night…
Only reason I was looking at that over stock is the stock one appears to shroud the throttle body on the engine side with the short curve. Does it hurt power, I don't know but shit like this keeps me up all night looking for anything to make more power

OP
Paladin06

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #42
It’s a very flexible silicone boot that attaches to the throttle body. I’ll be keeping an eye on my intake air temps when I get it out. First I have to drop the F%$*ing belly pan to retrieve a screw I dropped last night…
I’ve dropped shit and man do I curse that belly pan.

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Long magnet and and look through the wheel. Had to do the same thing awhile back
Telescoping style is a must to have around for things like this:)
I’ve dropped shit and man do I curse that belly pan.
I tried a telescopic magnet with no luck at all, and yes there was a couple of profanities let out….Oh well, another project for tonight.

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Great ideas going on here!

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
Picked up a 12x12 slab of green, heat resistant phenolic.

Once I finish the masonite proof of concept, I will make the final prototype in phenolic and install it.

Stand by.

Bob

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Picked up a 12x12 slab of green, heat resistant phenolic.

Once I finish the masonite proof of concept, I will make the final prototype in phenolic and install it.

Stand by.

Bob
Isn’t phenolic dust dangerous to your lungs. Not sure if you have used it before but I seem to remember getting shit several years ago for not using a respirator while working with it.

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Isn’t phenolic dust dangerous to your lungs. Not sure if you have used it before but I seem to remember getting shit several years ago for not using a respirator while working with it.
Probably.

With the chemicals I work with, daily... I'm pretty resistant. Probably more toxic, than the phenolic.

I do plan on using a respirator, however.

Bob

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I was playing around with ways of keeping the intake tube cooler on my Daytona. One idea I had was to wrap it in heat reflective material. I bought one made for a starter which would be used to keep header heat off of it.
My thought on this project was to use something stiff to block the engine and coolant tank from the intake filter and attach the reflective material to it. This one I bought is 7" wide and 21" long which would block the engine and the coolant tank. They make different sizes and may be cheaper to buy a big piece and cut it up to do a few
I bought a legmaker and when I get it I'm going to see what I can come up with. The shield is about $40 but like I said there are different ones out there and a big piece may be more cost effective

20210610_191838.jpg

OP
Paladin06

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #49
I was playing around with ways of keeping the intake tube cooler on my Daytona. One idea I had was to wrap it in heat reflective material. I bought one made for a starter which would be used to keep header heat off of it.
My thought on this project was to use something stiff to block the engine and coolant tank from the intake filter and attach the reflective material to it. This one I bought is 7" wide and 21" long which would block the engine and the coolant tank. They make different sizes and may be cheaper to buy a big piece and cut it up to do a few
I bought a legmaker and when I get it I'm going to see what I can come up with. The shield is about $40 but like I said there are different ones out there and a big piece may be more cost effective

View attachment 46480
Keep in mind the LMI is carbon fiber and not plastic. I wrapped my Hellcat CAI with a similar product noted above but the LMI performs better and sounds so much better.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I have rolls of that stuff for insulating garage doors with. Amazon comes with 2 sided tape. Large rolls and smaller rolls. Can use foil tape to tape the sides. Works great. Cheap

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Keep in mind the LMI is carbon fiber and not plastic. I wrapped my Hellcat CAI with a similar product noted above but the LMI performs better and sounds so much better.
Not wrapping the intake tube. Using the reflective material on the box go around it

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Bob,
Keep me in mind brother. Think my material will work?? Very flexable and shiny,, mention, cheap.

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I installed an aFe CAI last night. It comes with a metallic heat shield which looks to close off the intake area fairly well. I’m sure the metal will conduct some heat through at normal speeds but at higher speeds it should pull more exterior air in.

been looking at this intake, did you price around for it, not sure if I should buy up here or south of the border. I have the Bwoody now but like how the AFE blocks the heat.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I looked into heat resistant acrylic.

Factors on the table:

Vibration
Fatigue (failure from)
Thermal resistance
Thermal cycles

Let me say that I'm not a fan of these heat shields, but if I can help out, I'll put some effort into it.

I understand their barrier concept, but it leaves a lot on the table. I've identified a number of issues it has, as far as a "heat shield", and I'm trying keep those in mind, with my design... The main one being, the intake filter is getting radiant heat from the exhaust manifold. A "shield" should mitigate that. Could be as simple as the aluminum heat shields used under the car...

Every square inch, of the engine compartment, is heat soaked... by nature of it's being what it is... a giant thermal box.

I'm working on it.

Stand by.

Bob
Guess I missed this about heat shields. Everything will heat soak but just having a barrier in between the engine and filter will help. Plus while moving will have outside air coming in from the headlight hole

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
That is kinda what I was talkin about,,, kinda sorta. Reflective foil is different. Duct wrap is 3/4 per lb can be 1.5 inches thick to 2.5 inches thick 1.5 per lb. As an insulator, amonst other trades, sheet metal, controls, electrical, Bob's low voltage wiring, ect.

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Guess I missed this about heat shields. Everything will heat soak but just having a barrier in between the engine and filter will help. Plus while moving will have outside air coming in from the headlight hole
In my book, the biggest thing is the proximity of the filter, to the exhaust manifold. I think that is the biggest offender, here. I'm trying to mitigate at least that issue, while directing some cool air, from the grille.

Like I said, if it helps a little, I'm good with that. Not really my bag of chips, but if I can help, I will :)

Bob

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
I ordered direct from aFe which took forever to get in due to part shortages. Watch their site for sales, I order mine during a 20% off sale. I wish the border would open back up so I can just drive over to the shipping depots to pick up myself. It pisses me off what we have to pay for shipping across the border.

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Still working on this...

Travel plans, then back at it.

Cut out the rigid prototype.

Need to fit and trim.

Will cut the final prototype, fit and test. Been monitoring intake temps all week. If this works as planned, I should see an immediate change.

Stand by.

Bob

Last edited: