Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

4.5 Whipple guys

Member ID
Reactions
City
Elberfeld
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
ScatCat
Are you guys getting a lot of fluid out of the breather hole?

zhc

Founding Member
Premium Account
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Are you guys getting a lot of fluid out of the breather hole?
Yes, need to plug it with an 1/8” npt plug and some thread sealant.

OP
P
Member ID
Reactions
City
Elberfeld
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
ScatCat
Thread Starter #3
Yes, need to plug it with an 1/8” npt plug and some thread sealant.
Does it not need to breath?

zhc

Founding Member
Premium Account
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Does it not need to breath?
If it helps ease your mind, reach out to Whipple for an explanation or maybe someone else can chime in. I just know that there’s really no option but to plug it at the moment, else you’ll have a mess every time you do a hit.

OP
P
Member ID
Reactions
City
Elberfeld
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
ScatCat
Thread Starter #5
If it helps ease your mind, reach out to Whipple for an explanation or maybe someone else can chime in. I just know that there’s really no option but to plug it at the moment, else you’ll have a mess every time you do a hit.
I thought about running it to a catch can?

OP
P
Member ID
Reactions
City
Elberfeld
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
ScatCat
Thread Starter #6
Spoke to whipple. They said to plug it also

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
OkOk.... this is timely. Ran the car for the first time yesterday. 25 lbs of boost. I’m getting oil that looks like it’s coming out on the inside of the intake spacer/gasket. Under the SC. I have a catch can and it’s been clean. Engine is running good but it’s making a mess. Is this what you’re talking about? We’re about to pull the Whipple and start checking the intake o-ring around that oil galley In the cylinder head. I’ve got a breather on the valve cover. Obviously pressure is pushing out oil from somewhere.

OP
P
Member ID
Reactions
City
Elberfeld
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
ScatCat
Thread Starter #8
OkOk.... this is timely. Ran the car for the first time yesterday. 25 lbs of boost. I’m getting oil that looks like it’s coming out on the inside of the intake spacer/gasket. Under the SC. I have a catch can and it’s been clean. Engine is running good but it’s making a mess. Is this what you’re talking about? We’re about to pull the Whipple and start checking the intake o-ring around that oil galley In the cylinder head. I’ve got a breather on the valve cover. Obviously pressure is pushing out oil from somewhere.
It comes out of the whipple
Fill hole. It comes with a breather vent plug and they said to completely plug it off no vent.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
It comes out of the whipple
Fill hole. It comes with a breather vent plug and they said to completely plug it off no vent.
Ok. I got it. I was confused about what “hole” you were talking about. Haha. Thanks.

zhc

Founding Member
Premium Account
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Ok. I got it. I was confused about what “hole” you were talking about. Haha. Thanks.
Do you have Thitek heads?

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Do you have Thitek heads?
Yes. New ones. And we used the FI thermal spacers with the O-rings in place of the Whipple intake gaskets. Looks like we’re getting a lot of oil out from under that spacer approx where the oil galley is on the driver side. It’s showing under the SC at that point. That’s the best we can tell just from eyeballing it without taking anything apart.

zhc

Founding Member
Premium Account
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
I had a similar issue, oil pooling in the valley. It turns out that some bolt holes provisioned for non-Hellcat manifolds on the Thiteks breach into oil filled spaces. The solution is to plug and seal these holes up. I used 6mm set screws with thread sealant and then I purchased a set of cometic intake gaskets since they mostly cover these holes. The cometic gaskets are probably not necessary if the holes are plugged properly but that’s what I did.

I tried the spacers before I figured out where the oil was really coming from. Take notice of where the oil is collecting. Outside of the intake port gaskets!

I circled the holes that need to be plugged in yellow. If you shine a light in the green circled oil galley, it’ll shine through and be visible through the nearest yellow hole.
F9278790-B1C0-476B-AD5A-866898E31D1F.jpeg 4A4EFEFE-0CC2-430B-A208-4E0B2D051F94.jpeg

Last edited:

zhc

Founding Member
Premium Account
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
I had to pull the whipple off twice myself before I figured it out. Craig from Thitek is aware and has been socializing this but a lot of shops out there are not in the know.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I had to pull the whipple off twice myself before I figured it out. Craig from Thitek is aware and has been socializing this but a lot of shops out there are not in the know.
Ok. Thanks. This is a tremendous help. Those spacers only seal inside their O-ring boundaries and if those other holes are pushing oil then that explains everything. In the valley is exactly where we are getting it and that has to be it. We’re thinking it’s the spacers and are half right. The spacers and the Thiteks. One last question.... on the Thiteks, has there been any issue with the two holes fitting inside the dog bone shaped O-ring on the spacers? Just wondering about the fit there due to the obvious fact that those spacers are not made with Thiteks in mind. Have you continued to use the spacers or chuck them and just go with the plugs and Cometic gaskets?

zhc

Founding Member
Premium Account
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Have you continued to use the spacers or chuck them and just go with the plugs and Cometic gaskets?
I chucked the spacers and went with cometics.

Zero oil in the valley since, thank goodness. That took me several weeks to chase down myself.

zhc

Founding Member
Premium Account
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
I thought about running it to a catch can?
I’ve thought about it but there’s not a lot of hood clearance to put a fitting up there, at least on my Charger so I took the easy route out and plugged it.

zhc

Founding Member
Premium Account
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
One last question.... on the Thiteks, has there been any issue with the two holes fitting inside the dog bone shaped O-ring on the spacers?
Short answer, yes there was an issue. Multiple actually, specific to my attempt to use the spacers for my combination of Thitek Heads and Whipple.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Short answer, yes there was an issue. Multiple actually, specific to my attempt to use the spacers for my combination of Thitek Heads and Whipple.
Thanks. The whole thermal spacer thing is a good idea, but being designed for the stock Hellcat head/Supercharger it has obvious problems with the Thitek/Whipple combination. I need to make sure WhipCat knows this. Thanks again!!!

FlyByU

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Stafford
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2010 Challenger SRT
Excellent info.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Gilbert
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thanks. The whole thermal spacer thing is a good idea, but being designed for the stock Hellcat head/Supercharger it has obvious problems with the Thitek/Whipple combination. I need to make sure WhipCat knows this. Thanks again!!!
I will buy the spacers from you :)