Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

359 mile Demon for sale

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Well I will say if I was someone who paid $150K for a Demon then found out about all the ones that sell for for way less I'd feel pretty dumb for not looking around more but people paying that probably don't care and send an errand boy to go find one LOL. We couldn't get more than $105K for the one we auctioned FOR CHARITY at ChallengerFest with the car literally sitting under the hotel awning out front. It was heavily advertised all over the internet as well. That was the real eye opener for me. At the time people were running around posting links of them going for $130-$150K at auction so we thought we'd easily get $120K and I think the charity was kinda counting on it. Had Vandrake Racing not been on the phone I don't think we'd have gotten to $105K.

Get a SS and go have fun and skip the car trader drama.

My 4Runner has been an interesting vehicle. I'm not sure what makes the 3rd Gen so popular but I get emails all the time from people asking to buy it. I asked my buddy who trades cars about BAT and he thinks that's drug money haha, so who knows maybe I could get $25K for it but I'm keeping it.

I did get rid of my 2016 2SS Camaro though, and yeah I got a fat check for that used car so I know the market is lop sided right now. I'm just thankful I'm not wanting to buy anything.
4Runners are another stupid vehicle
People think they are a more reliable Jeep Wrangler or something.

VW R32s are really starting to go up in value. Ones under 50k miles going for what they were new back in 2004. A few years ago 10-15k bought you any one you wanted.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
I like the narrow body Challenger too...except from the rear angle. Not a fan from that visual perspective. I guess I like wide rear ends, lol

Queue 71 Demon in 3...2...1....
The wide rear is great.
I just think they look silly with skinny fronts on the wide front end.

Narrow body is what the F/S car is. So thats what I would model it after.
Im holding out to see what the final edition hell cats are all about at this point.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
I had a 1 of 1400 motorcycle a few years ago. I bought it because I liked the paint job, not because it was limited but it was the same kinda deal. For spare parts you had to provide VIN and all that to dealer, etc. I was always scared to death to scratch it or worse so it sorta kept me from fully enjoying it. I still rode the wheels off the thing but that was it for me on limited editions. When I did sell it I didn't get anymore for it than normal ones either. It was only $500 more than a standard one due to the paint scheme so not a big deal, but I knew people who bubble wrapped those too.
Sounds like it was a Kawi ELR, was it?

Last edited:
Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Paul
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge SRT Demon
The Money Drag Racer

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
@Boris this 3rd gen 4Runner is probably the best car I've ever owned. Right size, decent power after adding the factory backed supercharger, and will literally go anywhere. I see why they have such a large following. I think they're gonna become like the old FJ40s that go for big bucks these days. There's a company building new FJ40s with modern power plants. I'd have one in a heard beat if they weren't $200K!

https://www.fj.co/ = very cool but not $200K cool.

Sounds like it was a Kawi ELR, was it?
Repsol Edition CBR1000RR

Geerhed

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Beaver
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 WB Hellcat Charger
I agree on the diversification for sure and yes there will always be exceptions, but we have to be realistic and think TCO as a whole. I don't know anyone getting 1.5X MSRP for a Demon. I don't know that going by BAT or what happened last month at Mecum is really a barometer. If you believe BAT then my 2002 4Runner is worth $25K (I wish!). I'd love to find someone really deep in to it though that I could run around with just to get a look deeper in to the car collecting/flipping culture. Seems to be a fickle bunch.

I've known three people to sell their Demons and none did very well. I've mentioned my buddy before who had a Demon he put in bubble wrap for 3 years. He had a very hard time selling it a few months back. I know because I tried to help sell it myself. I tried here, the old site, ebay, all over and barely even a nibble. He ended up selling it back to the dealer he got it from to break even (which really means lost money). I listened to him tell me for 3 years how much that car was gonna be worth. He thought he was gonna wait 3 years and pull it out of storage and have the only one left with 20 miles on it. Well 3,000 other people have the same thing and that's the rub. Too many have been bubble wrapped and put up to make them really rare. You all can thank the Mecums and Barretts of the world for that.

The Cobra R you mention is another easy example. They're not REALLY worth 2X MSRP when you factor in that bitch inflation. Now factor in having to store and maintain that car for 20 years and you've probably lost money.

However if you bought 100oz of gold in 2000 you'd have profited nearly $170K today and had no worry about maintenance, rust, etc. Not as much fun sure, but neither are those cars that sit in bubble wrap right :)

It seems to me that the people that view vehicles as investments are in a certain age group. Those folks will probably continue propping some of these cars up until they are no longer with us and then the kids get them and just sell them as quick as they can. That's when the bottom falls out and you don't wanna be the guy with a garage full of cars with 401K on the license plate.

If you love cars and buy them to enjoy them, then none of this applies obviously, since it's not about the investment so much as it is just enjoying them for what they are.
That would have been 132,000. profit if bought in 2000. from my calculations since gold in year 2000 was at its lowest @ 274 a troy oz. selling today for 1600 per. Also 27,400 would have been your purchase price for the 100 troy oz. of gold in 2000 so you would have CP Gain of 104,600. If you place that capitol gain @ 20% rate if one would cash out at once it would be 20,920 tax bill producing your net profit down to 83,680. (But actually its more like 40% now doubling your rate to 41840 since we have the genius for POTUS in Office ) That said your 27,400 was tied up for 22 years as well like the car in the garage having not much fun. There is no Capitol Gain tax in Vehicles that I know of ......Just saying....

Last edited:

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB

Geerhed

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Beaver
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 WB Hellcat Charger
True....CB 1100F Too....Only made one year and could destroy V-65 that got all the sales and press that year in 2003.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I like the narrow body Challenger too...except from the rear angle. Not a fan from that visual perspective. I guess I like wide rear ends, lol

Queue 71 Demon in 3...2...1....
I must admit..my HC with the "mini" flares..looks much better from behind then my Kardashian Demon..:oops:

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
That would have been 132,000. profit if bought in 2000. from my calculations since gold in year 2000 was at its lowest @ 274 a troy oz. selling today for 1600 per. Also 27,400 would have been your purchase price for the 100 troy oz. of gold in 2000 so you would have CP Gain of 104,600. If you place that capitol gain @ 20% rate if one would cash out at once it would be 20,920 tax bill producing your net profit down to 83,680. (But actually its more like 40% now doubling your rate to 41840 since we have the genius for POTUS in Office ) That said your 27,400 was tied up for 22 years as well like the car in the garage having not much fun. There is no Capitol Gain tax in Vehicles that I know of ......Just saying....
Man that made my head spin but I get your point o_O The taxes were not something I considered but based profit on $1900/oz that I found. Better not give gubment any ideason the taxes for cars! That's pretty compelling.

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Man that made my head spin but I get your point o_O The taxes were not something I considered but based profit on $1900/oz that I found. Better not give gubment any ideason the taxes for cars! That's pretty compelling.
In Mich the buyer pays the sales tax on the buying price at the time the vehicle’s registered. I guess technically the seller is supposed to claim a gain on his taxes if he sold it for more than he bought it for but not sure. I’m guessing that doesn’t happen too often.

Geerhed

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Beaver
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 WB Hellcat Charger
In Mich the buyer pays the sales tax on the buying price at the time the vehicle’s registered. I guess technically the seller is supposed to claim a gain on his taxes if he sold it for more than he bought it for but not sure. I’m guessing that doesn’t happen too often.
haha...never meant to make your head spin just making an example of today using gold at 1600 but I think its more like 1900 or 2000 oz currently....Gold was at all time low of 274 an oz. in 2000 and right now is about 1600. So if you bought 100 oz. in year 2000 and sold it today the Gross profit would be 132600. before losing any of it to a 20 to 40% C.P. gain tax. I have not cashed any stock or gold securities since we have been so lucky to have the genius for POTUS we have now, but before that CP was about 20%.

As for car Investments there is of course State laws on car tax based upon what one would pay depending on what state you reside in, but in our State for example a vintage car of any of your choice that is old would be based on a retail book value of which is near nothing and the same with insurance company when Joe Smoe just ran into your 69 Chevelle L88 your going to get a book price which will be near nothing compared to what the actual street/collectors value really is! just like antiques they are worth very much to the collectors but nothing to Insurance companies.):

Last edited:

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Here I think there's some kind of loop hole where classic cars are a set fee, something really low but don't quote me on that. I had a buddy get rear ended by a texter in his 70 Challenger and yeah the insurance wanted to give him like $3000 to total it. That's when a bunch of us went to Grundy for agreed value.

Geerhed

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Beaver
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 WB Hellcat Charger
Here I think there's some kind of loop hole where classic cars are a set fee, something really low but don't quote me on that. I had a buddy get rear ended by a texter in his 70 Challenger and yeah the insurance wanted to give him like $3000 to total it. That's when a bunch of us went to Grundy for agreed value.
Well that sucks! I know a couple folks who had same thing happen and lost some very nice classic rides insurance paid practically nothing on them. But I know some folks who turned a hell of profit on some classic cars too with no tax burden as well.:)

Member ID
Reactions
City
Port orchard
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 redeye
Hahahaha 145? For what..

recurveman

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smithton
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Hellcat WB
Grundy insures my 2021 Challenger widebody Hellcat at an agreed to full value with a premium of $961 a year.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Paul
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge SRT Demon

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Proper investments with the proper company is the key for me. I am averaging 17% annual returns. Admittedly that's over just the last few years, as I pulled all my investments 20 years or so ago for fun and games, life, and lots of other things. If I'd stuck to my plan, I'd be retired now (actually about 8 years back). But my wife and children, and the times I spent with my folks, etc... were well worth it to me. More to life in the end than money. I couldn't keep cars for investment (unless they were things I'm not interested in, like that boss car hauler in the other thread) because I'd drive them. Hard. And defeat the purpose.

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country