Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

20x7 Front and 17x11 Rear Widebody Challenger

OP
HRJ

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
Thread Starter #21
M/T 315/50/17 ETRs in the back. I just ordered one Bridgestone Potenza S001-I in 195/50R20 sizing. I think it will fit well. Its damn expensive, but whaddya do lol. But, it's a max perf summer tire, has a XL load rating and is speed-rated to 168 (basically what a DR is speed rated for).

We'll see.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
M/T 315/50/17 ETRs in the back. I just ordered one Bridgestone Potenza S001-I in 195/50R20 sizing. I think it will fit well. Its damn expensive, but whaddya do lol. But, it's a max perf summer tire, has a XL load rating and is speed-rated to 168 (basically what a DR is speed rated for).

We'll see.
Whats the weight of the 195/50 tire ?.... that's a short tire at 97.5mm side wall.

OP
HRJ

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
Thread Starter #23
Whats the weight of the 195/50 tire ?.... that's a short tire at 97.5mm side wall.
I'll let you know. I also plan on weighing the wheel/tire assemblies vs stock. I do know the Weld 20x7 wheel is much lighter than I expected. I almost threw it into the ceiling picking it up. OK, somewhat of an exaggeration but it really surprised me.

OP
HRJ

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
Thread Starter #24
Got the TPMS sensors and tires installed. Front tires fit great, no issues there at all. They also balanced very well.

The backs I had a hard time with. The Hunter machine keeps kicking up an alert of “bent wheel”. I can also see noticeable wobble on the back side of the wheel when spinning it. One wheel/tire called for 1.75 oz and the other one called for 6.25 in one spot and 3.5 in another. I really don’t know what to make of it. I really doubt I got 2 bent wheels from Weld...I’m leaning toward ls there being an issue with the balance machine. Either the machine itself or the way the mounts are being used. I’m gonna look for a place here in Houston that has experience balancing these things.

885943B4-C7D0-401D-A745-3A262B7FB574.jpeg

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Got the TPMS sensors and tires installed. Front tires fit great, no issues there at all. They also balanced very well.

The backs I had a hard time with. The Hunter machine keeps kicking up an alert of “bent wheel”. I can also see noticeable wobble on the back side of the wheel when spinning it. One wheel/tire called for 1.75 oz and the other one called for 6.25 in one spot and 3.5 in another. I really don’t know what to make of it. I really doubt I got 2 bent wheels from Weld...I’m leaning toward ls there being an issue with the balance machine. Either the machine itself or the way the mounts are being used. I’m gonna look for a place here in Houston that has experience balancing these things.

View attachment 14376
Very nice! I would have them just run the rims on the machine after removing tires just to check rims. It may be the tires. It once took me 3! shops to get tires balanced right. When it's explained how they screwed up (If they did), you can really see how much a lot of these guys don't know...and it's they're business!

OP
HRJ

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
Thread Starter #26
Gonna need longer front studs

6CFA9024-D52C-4784-AD28-9D8BBB40AE7B.jpeg

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Looks tight on the calipers, but I know its not. Nicely done - looks great. People will start watching out for that car.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Also, who is Frank the Tank?

Slows2k

Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger
Looks great, any pics of the whole car?

OP
HRJ

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
Thread Starter #30
Looks tight on the calipers, but I know its not. Nicely done - looks great. People will start watching out for that car.
Oh yes, it is tight on the caliper. Weld specified a 3mm spacer which I bought from ZL1addons and it barely clears.

It was way overpriced for a spacer but it looked less like an afterthought part than any others I saw.

Also, who is Frank the Tank?
One of the Service techs. He kinda has two personalities. When he hits his knuckles, bangs his forehead on a rack or has a problem car, ol' Frank comes out (our name for his Mr Hyde demeanor).

Looks great, any pics of the whole car?
Working on it. It's been drizzling here. When it stops I'll get it outside.

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Fwiw- I have that same rear wheel on my WBRE. We've spun them w no tire and they're both dead straight.

Also fwiw - it took a total of 4 different 315/50-17 MT's to get 2 that were round enough to balance w less than 5 ounces. They still weren't particularly round, but at least they weren't square.
I went w the 305/45-17 this go 'round. The first 2 were acceptable and each took less than 4 oz.

As was mentioned by someone else, I'd get the rims themselves spun up w no tires to be sure you're dealing w straight rims.

I've been watching this thread for a while as I'm considering going w a 20" front for my street wheels. I was *really* hoping you wouldn't need those spacers to get your front wheels to clear the brakes. I'm just amazed that Weld sells such a high $ wheel that doesn't actually fit the car it's made for.

Can't wait to see your car w all 4 wheels on it!

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Fwiw- I

I'm just amazed that Weld sells such a high $ wheel that doesn't actually fit the car it's made for

it took a total of 4 different 315/50-17 MT's to get 2 that were round enough to balance w less than 5 ounces. They still weren't particularly round, but at least they weren't square.

As was mentioned by someone else, I'd get the rims themselves spun up w no tires to be sure you're dealing w straight rims.

Last edited:

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
That was me. And I find it amazing you couldn't get 4 totally good MT's OR that Weld can't make a wheel fit correctly for a specific car they're going on (AND they're not free..$$$). This has always been a problem with aftermarket stuff. I've been dealing with it forever. But you would think with all the CAD designing and CNC processes involved AND the premium prices being paid today, they could just make a piece that works out of the box. Additionally, for that matter why cant the make them fit with stock studs? This is what takes the wind out of your sails sometimes when you want to modify because the stock stuff just doesn't look quite like, you like, etc. You just know your gonna hit problems like this and the stock stuff WORKS and has been safety tested etc. Eh, maybe I'm just getting old[/QUOTE]

OP
HRJ

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
Thread Starter #34
Did that, both wobbled.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
How the hell is that possible? I've spun up lots of after market wheels and I don't understand that. Poor quality control? Hell, you'd have to have it smashed by a forklift for the wheel to be deformed in shipping (it would seem to me). Wobbled bad?

Now ya'll are giving me the heebee geebees about ordering wheels.

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
OP
HRJ

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
Thread Starter #37
Yeah, not exactly what you hear about Weld. That’s why I’m gonna try somewhere else.

Slows2k

Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger
what kind of balancer and how was it clamped?

OP
HRJ

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
Thread Starter #39
what kind of balancer and how was it clamped?
Hunter. Since I'm using hubcentric rings, it was balanced with a cone from the back through the center hole and a cup/spinner from the front.

Slows2k

Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger
Hunter has some lug centric adapters that may work better.