Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

2020 Shelby GT 500 is toast vs Redeye in drag race

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Again, I agree with @Hpindy with his statement. "Fords Suck". LOL
LOL. I don't outright hate them as such. But the Hellcat is just more my kind of car.
If I was changing cars it would be for a RE or a Demon. The GT500 wouldn't even be on the radar.

762CAT

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere in...
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat Challenger & Charger
A lot of short memories on here. Nobody remembers all the twisted drive shafts, broken differentials, the agonizing time waiting for the DA to get stock Demons into the 9s while everybody smack talked them.....the absolute HYSTERIA over supercharger bearings.....gawd that was unbearable.

Take it easy Francis....car has been on the street a handful of weeks .Declaring it a bust for one limp mode pass and writing off the DCT is like shouting "She's a Witch!!" To soon...way to soon.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
A lot of short memories on here. Nobody remembers all the twisted drive shafts, broken differentials, the agonizing time waiting for the DA to get stock Demons into the 9s while everybody smack talked them.....the absolute HYSTERIA over supercharger bearings.....gawd that was unbearable.

Take it easy Francis....car has been on the street a handful of weeks .Declaring it a bust for one limp mode pass and writing off the DCT is like shouting "She's a Witch!!" To soon...way to soon.
Bust? I never said that. I said I hate Fords.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
LOL. I don't outright hate them as such. But the Hellcat is just more my kind of car.
If I was changing cars it would be for a RE or a Demon. The GT500 wouldn't even be on the radar.
I have a special kind of hatred for Ford's.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Bust? I never said that. I said I hate Fords.
I"ll say it ....... All rustangs are a bust . It's a good thing they have huge aftermarket support !

762CAT

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere in...
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
Great VID by Demonology and impute from Ron. The young man that was driving his 500 was great, car was 3 days old, New car, New Dragstrip driver on OEM rubber, now the track was well prepped but that car is strong!!! Redeyes on OEM rubber factory tune, how many guys have went 10.60s ??? That Venom isnt going to kill a Demon on Race gas tune with stickey tires, that said there going to be aiming for Redeyes and they are packing enough heat right from FORD. IMHO

Great video. Nice to hear objective and intelligent discussion from somebody who clearly knows their shit.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Great video. Nice to hear objective and intelligent discussion from somebody who clearly knows their shit.
Take it easy Francis. We're bustin' balls in good fun and all those problems you mentioned were after the Demon and Hellcats had the snot beat out of them for months , sometimes years. This kid made one pass on tires and the tranny overheated and the computer shut the car down. That's pretty funny....to me.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Take it easy Francis. We're bustin' balls in good fun and all those problems you mentioned were after the Demon and Hellcats had the snot beat out of them for months , sometimes years. This kid made one pass on tires and the tranny overheated and the computer shut the car down. That's pretty funny....to me.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I love my Hellcat & had never ran in the 10's till I got it , but I also liked the Mustangs that I had , 97 Cobra & 15 GT. You have to experience difference things to know what's up , b4 my Hellcat I didn't think I would ever buy a Dodge but along came the Hellcat. I do really like the looks of the Mustangs but will not go back.

Attachments

WhipCat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
GT500 has been out about a month or two. Give it time, the Hellcat has come a long ways in 5 years. The GT500 is going to give any Redeye Hell in stock trim. When modded, certainly the Redeye had the advantage at the moment due to 5 years of development on the platform. The GT500 will be in the 8s within a year.
thank you for saying what I was gonna say.
Mopar fanboys gonna jump in head first.

762CAT

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere in...
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle

HAHAHAHA thanks for posting that. Freakin classic.

@coolblue I guess you assumed I was talking to you specifically for some reason. I wasn't but I guess it applied. What part about me liking a video means I should take it easy? I'm a lil lost here friend. My point to be clear is the kid had one limp mode pass from what I can see was user error and possibly some weakness in the dual clutch but likely more so in the trons that are designed to make the car hook and book on stock rubber under normal conditions not on a drag strip on a tire. The Hellcat's LC is absolute useless trash and we all know that. Good thing is you can launch the shit out of it on the track, bad thing is it's harder to hook up on the street. To soon to be seen or determine if it's an actual handicap on the GT500 like it is for the ZL1s or if it is a hiccup. If you find it tickles your funny bone and makes you feel happy that is your business but one pass on a night in Irwindale in isolation is a small data point. You hate Ford....that's cool to. I hate Hondas and Renault.

Member ID
Reactions
City
SOUTH LYON
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
1970 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack
Thanks Max !
Agree with you completely . Then vid on the 500 in Houston that car was launching at the the max 3200 factory setting and was sticking for all its worth, Im betting that car had no more in it with stickey tire that day on that track. The 500 is softer down low and would have to launch around 5k -5500 to get it into power to sixty and I have no idea what would happen to that DTC launching at that RPM if even possible.
Dont have a lot of seat time in the RE but from what Ive read and the cars Ive been in seems like traction is the issue on the street even with DR under a 40 roll or so. Hopefully I can get a handle on that.
Theres so many Hot musclecars in the Motor City, Z06's and ZL!'s everywhere,Plenty of Shelbys, and Hellcats also. It really is a good time to be a car guy !!!!!

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
9.93 with a heavily modded GT500 and these guys are busting a nut....

Stock Demon (tire swap) in the mid 9.5s....

Yeah Ford, (and anyone else for that matter), the Demon is King Kong and its not even close!

762CAT

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere in...
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
9.93 with a heavily modded GT500 and these guys are busting a nut....

Stock Demon (tire swap) in the mid 9.5s....

Yeah Ford, (and anyone else for that matter), the Demon is King Kong and its not even close!

Did I miss something.....and that's very possible.... I don't pay much attention to Demon stuff. Stock demon 9.5s on just a tire? I thought only like one person had beaten the official Dodge time stock on just a tire?

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
Thanks Max !
Agree with you completely . Then vid on the 500 in Houston that car was launching at the the max 3200 factory setting and was sticking for all its worth, Im betting that car had no more in it with stickey tire that day on that track. The 500 is softer down low and would have to launch around 5k -5500 to get it into power to sixty and I have no idea what would happen to that DTC launching at that RPM if even possible.
Dont have a lot of seat time in the RE but from what Ive read and the cars Ive been in seems like traction is the issue on the street even with DR under a 40 roll or so. Hopefully I can get a handle on that.
Theres so many Hot musclecars in the Motor City, Z06's and ZL!'s everywhere,Plenty of Shelbys, and Hellcats also. It really is a good time to be a car guy !!!!!
I can't speak for the street, because I don't street race. However at a prepped track with drag radials launching around 1500-1800 you can nail 1.4x 60fts with practice. I was hitting low 1.5x 60fts off idle. Once these cars have the means to get the traction (prep/tires) they hook hard and go! The street will be harder to hook even with drag radials, because the street isn't prepped for one, and it will also depend on how warm your tires are (even if using drag radials). That said when my stock tires go, I'll likely switch to a MT SS full time on the street and run my MT ET Rs at the track. These cars have so much torque a drag radial is needed imo just for street driving. Keep in mind I don't street race (anymore, lol), but I do find myself accelerating rather rapidly in this car, lol.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Ford sucks

They used to make nice tractors...

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Did I miss something.....and that's very possible.... I don't pay much attention to Demon stuff. Stock demon 9.5s on just a tire? I thought only like one person had beaten the official Dodge time stock on just a tire?
https://www.allpar.com/news/2019/12/stock-power-stock-weight-demon-beats-dodges-9-65-46839

also some more info here

https://www.hellcatforum.org/threads/congrats-byron-t-godbee-new-demon-record.4649/

also dragrcr (Ron) was recently in the 9.66 range...big demon meet this month in houston...probably more records broken soon...

took some time but guys are dialed in now with the Demon...will be very hard for any "stock" (as delivered or tire change only) cars to touch these numbers..at least in all ICE form

762CAT

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere in...
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
https://www.allpar.com/news/2019/12/stock-power-stock-weight-demon-beats-dodges-9-65-46839

also some more info here

https://www.hellcatforum.org/threads/congrats-byron-t-godbee-new-demon-record.4649/

also dragrcr (Ron) was recently in the 9.66 range...big demon meet this month in houston...probably more records broken soon...

took some time but guys are dialed in now with the Demon...will be very hard for any "stock" (as delivered or tire change only) cars to touch these numbers..at least in all ICE form
Ok ya saw that one that's the one I was thinking of. Thanks for posting. Still a bit uncommon but there really is no argument the Demon is the factory street legal drag king. It damn well better be though because it's also the only factory built street legal purpose built drag car. It has a trans brake for heavens sake (that thing getting used now or no?).

That is why I think everybody getting so excited bout modded or stock GT500s at the drag strip is silly. The purpose built drag car wins.....no shit. GT500 will beat a stock Hellcat probably a purely stock (to the tire) Redeye and then it will be interesting and a good fight with a tire only and mods/money game. Demon will continue to reign at the strip and likely for a long time because other manufactures just aren't interested in doing what Dodge did. I literally stood up off my couch and clapped when I watched the official Demon unveiling it's awesome in so many ways but dudes take it way to seriously. I know I know some A-hole Ford exec made the famous Venom kills Demons comment.....pretty sure he is still shitting black feathers from all the crow he's had to eat. But I wouldn't expect a 760 HP DCT 4200lb car to whoop a Demon in the 1/4 mile anymore than I'd expect a Demon to lap a GT500 around VIR.

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Ok ya saw that one that's the one I was thinking of. Thanks for posting. Still a bit uncommon but there really is no argument the Demon is the factory street legal drag king. It damn well better be though because it's also the only factory built street legal purpose built drag car. It has a trans brake for heavens sake (that thing getting used now or no?).

That is why I think everybody getting so excited bout modded or stock GT500s at the drag strip is silly. The purpose built drag car wins.....no shit. GT500 will beat a stock Hellcat probably a purely stock (to the tire) Redeye and then it will be interesting and a good fight with a tire only and mods/money game. Demon will continue to reign at the strip and likely for a long time because other manufactures just aren't interested in doing what Dodge did. I literally stood up off my couch and clapped when I watched the official Demon unveiling it's awesome in so many ways but dudes take it way to seriously. I know I know some A-hole Ford exec made the famous Venom kills Demons comment.....pretty sure he is still shitting black feathers from all the crow he's had to eat. But I wouldn't expect a 760 HP DCT 4200lb car to whoop a Demon in the 1/4 mile anymore than I'd expect a Demon to lap a GT500 around VIR.
I still can't believe Dodge actually built the Demon. Getting through the bean counters, legal, epa, DOT(DRs), etc...I also agree about no one else following in Dodge's shoes re: a purpose-built drag car maybe ever again. At least not in ICE form. It's one of the reasons I will never sell mine.

It's like we teleported back to 1961-63 with the barely streetable SD421 Catalinas, Chevy Bel Air 409, Max Wedges etc...Ridiculous cars that could (technically) be bought by the public...but had no business being on the street. Only thing now is that the Demon, as crazy as it is on the strip, is actually a pussycat around town (until you mash your right foot to the floor!)

MOPAR rules...

Last edited:

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
tire only and mods/money game
I'll take that bet. DOT tires/rear wheels of owners choosing for GT500 and Redeye. Everything else bone stock. Heads up 1/4 mile from a dig at a track. I'd say best of 3 hot lap passes but it sounds like the GT500s trans needs to cool off during laps.

I can't wait to race one, sounds fun! :)