Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

2016 Hellcat 3.09 differential

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I believe the Demon diff housings were supposedly heat treated for strength or something like that, but theories now are that it made them brittle and more likely to fail.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I believe the Demon diff housings were supposedly heat treated for strength or something like that, but theories now are that it made them brittle and more likely to fail.
Seems like they break.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I tend to read about more 3.09 cars failing than 2.62 cars until you're past the point where power/traction would take out either one regardless.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
I tend to read about more 3.09 cars failing than 2.62 cars until you're past the point where power/traction would take out either one regardless.
That may just be because so many people that race alot use that particular setup though...

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
That may just be because so many people that race alot use that particular setup though...
Also true. Could be coincidental or might have substance. I just know I don't plan to change it til it breaks.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Also true. Could be coincidental or might have substance. I just know I don't plan to change it til it breaks.
Yeah I wouldn't either, but I know there can be a lot of collateral damage if it does break - which is why the diff brace is such a great product. I should really get one, but I've only raced once this year :(

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Yeah I wouldn't either, but I know there can be a lot of collateral damage if it does break - which is why the diff brace is such a great product. I should really get one, but I've only raced once this year :(
Mine had the original extreme before it EVER saw the track and I upgraded to the DIRS/race Brace combo with pinion lockout to narrow down some noise. Still running that combo. It helps immensely.