Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

2007 5.7 Hemi. Issues That I Need To Be Aware Of?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I'm going to go look at a 2007 Magnum RT tomorrow. Anything in particular I should be aware of when checking it out?

Thanks

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
Mileage? I had an '05 YEARS ago and bought it when it was a year old/used (picture if from '06). Absolutely LOVED it and did some modest modding on it; SRT suspension, staggered wheels/tires, blackout grill/headlights, Zoomers exhaust (which was THE exhaust for the LX platform back in the day...). Volant CAI and a Superchips tuner...which ended up bricking my TCM. To their credit, Superchips actually paid for the tow to the dealership and the bill provided I send them the old TCM, which I gladly did.

Fantastic car. I would kill for an SRT if I could find one that wasn't either clapped out or priced like it's a CTS-V wagon (another ride I'd love to own).

They're solid cars; basically E-Class Mercedes and I believe an AMG NAG transmission IIRC. Issues with the motor, if any, were frequently related to the cam/lifters and I think had something to do with the MDS system. I remember being on the LXF (LX Forums) years ago and within a month of Diablosport releasing their tuner several idiots grenading their motors by turning off the knock sensors and advancing the crap outta the timing...it was amusing to say the least.

05282006 Detailed 018 - Copy.jpg
With that being said while the LXF is a shadow of its former self in 2024 it is unquestionably THE site to get the best information on the platform.

Good luck and keep us posted!

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
I'm planning on taking a look at it tomorrow morning. Thank you.

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
Cam and lifter issues, HEMI TICK

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
180F thermostat is a must, cheap insurance to dropped valve seats. You can tune the fans with a Diablo but the last few years I went without turning the fans. Just let it idle for a bit after coming off the highway or any full throttle runs. Just to scrub off some heat soak.

Mine (2005 RT) had close to 200K (km). But I did sell it a few months ago, just had too many cars and no place to park it or I would have kept it.

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
20231124_142213e.jpg

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #8
This one has 76K on it.

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
This one has 76K on it.
Pretty low mileage...asking price? I've seen insane prices for R/Ts, never mind SRTs, and by insane I mean as much or more than what I paid for mine, used, in '06.

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
Check the climate controls, make sure all the levels work, including recirc, especially with dual zones. Those blend door actuators sometimes break. I've never broken one but I had recirc stuck once. I thought it broke but I took it apart and all was well, just jammed.

If it has dual zone with the glass sensor dome on the top of the dash at the base of the windshield, you can replace the light switch assembly with one with auto head lights if it doesn't have it already. 300C's had it but not the Magnum on any trim.

And check or ask when the front suspension tension struts were last replaced. The do tend to eat them.

If it has the steering control buttons, you can press and hold both the music and compass button at the same time for 5 seconds or so to get digital readouts you can scroll through in the cluster such as a digital speedometer, pedal pressure, oil pressure, coolant temperature, and more.

There is a plastic parking shift interlock with a spring hook that could break and leave the car stuck in park. More than likely it's already been replaced with a better one or billet one. I just drilled a hole over the broken clip and inserted a cotter pin where the eye serves as the new spring hook.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #11
Pretty low mileage...asking price? I've seen insane prices for R/Ts, never mind SRTs, and by insane I mean as much or more than what I paid for mine, used, in '06.
Asking $7500. I'm not going to be able to go see it tomorrow.

I am concerned because ownership has changed in the past year and I figure there's a problem that people don't want to fix.

Shifter was fixed. It is on the Carfax.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I've looked at those from time to time, always thought they were more practical and would be more fun than an SUV.
Never have found one with 'reasonable' miles tho. Love them in this Magnesium Pearlcoat color :love:

cb6f49.jpg

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #13
Screenshot_20240518_152555_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20240518_152608_Facebook.jpg

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
Asking $7500. I'm not going to be able to go see it tomorrow.

I am concerned because ownership has changed in the past year and I figure there's a problem that people don't want to fix.

Shifter was fixed. It is on the Carfax.
That's reasonable...and suspicious at the same time. Always love asking people why they're selling and watching the ensuing tap dance. Give themselves enough rope to hang themselves with and then tell them to fuck right off, if applicable.

It's 17 years old at this point which, depending under what conditions it was owned/stored, could be of little consequence or an absolute deal breaker.

There's more that one Boob Tuber that's taken a Magnum and dropped in a Hellcat motor; that would be a hoot and a half! Still a huge fan of the CTS-V wagon but they're unobtanium and selling for crazy ass money now...

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
Doesn't look too shabby but hard to tell of course. Headlights are understandably smoked which isn't a huge deal. Are you looking to wrench on it or just want to buy and drive without modding?

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #16
According to him, he's a college student and can't afford the gas... Screenshot_20240518_152808_Facebook.jpg

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #17
Doesn't look too shabby but hard to tell of course. Headlights are understandably smoked which isn't a huge deal. Are you looking to wrench on it or just want to buy and drive without modding?
Drive and play with it eventually.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
The one I always read about is lifters which go bad and then eat the cam. Most mechanics on BITOG attribute the failures to batches with bad metallurgy from suppliers. Some go 200K+ without issue. Others go bad prematurely.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #19
The one I always read about is lifters which go bad and then eat the cam. Most mechanics on BITOG attribute the failures to batches with bad metallurgy from suppliers. Some go 200K+ without issue. Others go bad prematurely.
That's not hard to detect.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #20
He sent me the carfax. There's some gaps and 5 different owners, which I don't like.