Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

ZL1 products

WidebodyCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Holbrook
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Widebody Hellcat
Track season around corner..
Tow hook and tie down points by ZL1
QUALITY PARTS, nice packing and quick shipping! 👍
C5393554-1715-4D79-A3FE-3CB3D8F7B084.jpeg 4A413FCB-8BBD-46EF-9382-E25543CF3E25.jpeg

Last edited:

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
They do make great products.

OP
WidebodyCat

WidebodyCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Holbrook
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Widebody Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
Some work for sure to install this tow hook!

Attachments

OP
WidebodyCat

WidebodyCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Holbrook
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Widebody Hellcat
Thread Starter #4
All done. Ready for track!

Attachments

McLovin

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Syracuse
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Some work for sure to install this tow hook!
Did you have to take the entire front valance off? Or just the underbody tray?

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
I watched their video on how to install the front tow hook. They didn't take anything off the front - none of the fascia - they took off the pans and drilled up from the bottom. It looked a little tricky as far as getting the hook's shaft to come through the fascia grill without cutting. I asked Zl-1 about this a couple of months ago and was not fully reassured coming up from the bottom would work on a Red Eye - that maybe there was an oil cooler radiator in the way?

Anyone done it the way they show on a Red Eye?

And on the subject, is a rear hook a better location?

OP
WidebodyCat

WidebodyCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Holbrook
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Widebody Hellcat
Thread Starter #7
I watched their video on how to install the front tow hook. They didn't take anything off the front - none of the fascia - they took off the pans and drilled up from the bottom. It looked a little tricky as far as getting the hook's shaft to come through the fascia grill without cutting. I asked Zl-1 about this a couple of months ago and was not fully reassured coming up from the bottom would work on a Red Eye - that maybe there was an oil cooler radiator in the way?

Did you have to take the entire front valance off? Or just the underbody tray?
I have the 2020 Super Stock. So on mine..Only bottom grill had to come off front..
Complete underbelly and full spoiler removal was necessary though. Like 25 plastic rivets had to be drilled out and replaced. Not to mention countless screws and pushpins...Dodge should have this built in like my other cars!

McLovin

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Syracuse
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat

If it's the video I watched, it was done on a Charger...and not a Hellcat Charger. So no intercooler, and plenty of room (compared to the Challengers).

The issue is there isn't enough room to drill 2 straight holes up thru the crash bar without risking damage to the intercooler and such.

After seeing WidebodyCat's pics, I thought there might be a glimmer of hope. But reading what he had to go thru, Seems it might be as bad as just taking the nose off and being done with it.

As to the rear hook location, there is a different mount needed for it. You drill a hole thru your rear lower bumper (behind the license plate) and then drill into the rear crash bar from there.

After my struggles with the front, I haven't even attempted to look at the rear yet.

McLovin

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Syracuse
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
I have the 2020 Super Stock. So on mine..Only bottom grill had to come off front..
Complete underbelly and full spoiler removal was necessary though. Like 25 plastic rivets had to be drilled out and replaced. Not to mention countless screws and pushpins...Dodge should have this built in like my other cars!
Thanks. I was hoping that maybe I just needed a bit more disassembly to get mine on, but sounds like it's gonna be a project.

I'll have to decide what direction to go. I'd hate to drill all those out and remove them...only to find out I still need to take the nose off.

If you don't mind, may I ask where you got the replacement rivets?

OP
WidebodyCat

WidebodyCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Holbrook
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Widebody Hellcat
Thread Starter #10
Thanks. I was hoping that maybe I just needed a bit more disassembly to get mine on, but sounds like it's gonna be a project.

I'll have to decide what direction to go. I'd hate to drill all those out and remove them...only to find out I still need to take the nose off.

If you don't mind, may I ask where you got the replacement rivets?
Im not going to lie. It was a bit of a PIA. But A necessary evil. I dont want to be that guy at track, getting pushed off bye a tow truck because I had no tow hook..
Rivets.. OMG Dodge raped me! $160 bucks for the 3 packs of (12) replacement rivets. Dealers are shameless. If I were to repeat, I would look for the rivets on interweb

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
The items in that area are stupid connected. I broke a piece of the new brake air duct. Well a dead raccoon actually did.. it’s dead now anyway. OMG I forgot how many pins are scattered around. Good time to get to the cooler and drain it this season now also;). I may just cut a darn hole under that drain bolt. That is about a PIA as they could have invented.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
First.... yes it is absolute negligence for Dodge to not have included a threaded bung behind the fascia with a small access cover and a I-bolt to screw in, in case the car has to be winched. There’s no way to push or pull these cars without expensive damage to the bumpers. Front or rear. If you ever break on the track and the safety crew has to remove your car... good luck. I took the easy route for installing mine. Remove the lower grill (half a dozen screws) and use a mig welder to attach that block to the underside of the steel bumper. Done 😎 F5CFE814-7D88-4892-98FE-F2584130D50B.jpeg

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Im not going to lie. It was a bit of a PIA. But A necessary evil. I dont want to be that guy at track, getting pushed off bye a tow truck because I had no tow hook..
Rivets.. OMG Dodge raped me! $160 bucks for the 3 packs of (12) replacement rivets. Dealers are shameless. If I were to repeat, I would look for the rivets on interweb
OMG THANK YOU! I am going to the dealer today to get raped after ordering the brake air duct. No need to even ask for the push pins, OR even to inquire about the two giant units I wasted in the trunk getting to the controller on the left side.

BUT, what I did do, even if it is a product from China is get this for $20.

446FA523-0BD0-4EB5-B27F-BC1F9F259EFA.png

Edit....the best part of it, and did not see is the few tools they include. Darn near worth $10 themselves!

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
The items in that area are stupid connected. I broke a piece of the new brake air duct. Well a dead raccoon actually did.. it’s dead now anyway. OMG I forgot how many pins are scattered around. Good time to get to the cooler and drain it this season now also;). I may just cut a darn hole under that drain bolt. That is about a PIA as they could have invented.
That's what I did, the first oil change I dropped the bottom cover & cut a hole out in that area to drain the oil cooler, just big enough for a back up wrench & a ratchet wrench to get the plug out, never have to pull that cover again, at least for a oil change anyway. Just have to remove (4 screws) the smaller back cover for pan plug & oil filter.

OP
WidebodyCat

WidebodyCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Holbrook
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Widebody Hellcat
Thread Starter #15
First.... yes it is absolute negligence for Dodge to not have included a threaded bung behind the fascia with a small access cover and a I-bolt to screw in, in case the car has to be winched. There’s no way to push or pull these cars without expensive damage to the bumpers. Front or rear. If you ever break on the track and the safety crew has to remove your car... good luck. I took the easy route for installing mine. Remove the lower grill (half a dozen screws) and use a mig welder to attach that block to the underside of the steel bumper. Done 😎 View attachment 37553
I had seen where you put that is a thread somewhere. I was going to do that. But I just went the bolt on route..

OP
WidebodyCat

WidebodyCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Holbrook
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Widebody Hellcat
Thread Starter #16
OMG THANK YOU! I am going to the dealer today to get raped after ordering the brake air duct. No need to even ask for the push pins, OR even to inquire about the two giant units I wasted in the trunk getting to the controller on the left side.

View attachment 37551

Edit....the best part of it, and did not see is the few tools they include. Darn near worth $10 themselves!
That is way to go!

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
That's what I did, the first oil change I dropped the bottom cover & cut a hole out in that area to drain the oil cooler, just big enough for a back up wrench & a ratchet wrench to get the plug out, never have to pull that cover again, at least for a oil change anyway. Just have to remove (4 screws) the smaller back cover for pan plug & oil filter.
There was a guy selling a kit here awhile back that I installed. Much much easier to drain the oil cooler. 20190911_131409.jpg tapatalk_jpeg_1566876392578.jpg

McLovin

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Syracuse
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Incredible...

I see @DGatzby has a link, I'll go that route (Thanks!).

I used to use clips and fasteners.com, but with so many different sizes, I know i'd fubar ordering at least 1 size.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
There was a guy selling a kit here awhile back that I installed. Much much easier to drain the oil cooler. View attachment 37596 View attachment 37597
Yeah, I saw that, very nice, I did mine b4 he came out with this cover, the hole I made is rectangular also but only 1/4 the size of yours.

Last edited:

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat

View attachment 37551

That's a nice kit & cheap.