Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Will it be short lived?

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Red Eye 1969 Hellcat Cuda
While I'm close to 70 now, I finally have what I consider to be the ultimate new Mopar. It's all I will ever need in a late model muscle car. However, is anyone else concerned with where Biden / Harris would try to take things if they get in the office?

Specifically, I'm concerned with them really pushing electric vehicles to the point of finding ways to get cars like ours off the road. High road taxes; high registration taxes; high cost of fuel (as if fuel isn't already too expensive here in NorCal.

I remember having my '70 440-6 Challenger back when the first gas crisis hit. I was young and not making a lot of money. I literally bought a clean old '52 Morris Minor to drive to work and as much as I resisted, finally had to sell the Challenger. There was the "perfect storm" between high cost of fuel along with insurance costs going sky high.

I'm concerned they would find a way to make it more expensive to own these cars, which would take all the enjoyment out of owning / driving it. Am I catastrophizing the situation? I know who I'll be voting for, but it is all left wing liberals around here where I live. I need to visit other parts of the country where maybe I wouldn't feel so alone.

Last edited:

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
While I'm close to 70 now, I finally have what I consider to be the ultimate new Mopar. It's all I will ever need in a late model muscle car. However, is anyone else concerned with where Biden / Harris would try to take things if they get in the office? Specifically, I'm concerned with them really pushing electric vehicles to the point of finding ways to get cars like ours off the road. High road taxes; high registration taxes; high cost of fuel (as if fuel isn't already too expensive here in NorCal. I remember having my '70 440-6 Challenger back when the first gas crisis hit. I was young and not making a lot of money. I literally bought a clean old '52 Morris Minor to drive to work and as much as I resisted, finally had to sell the Challenger. I'm just concerned they would find a way to make it even more expensive to own these cars, which would take all the enjoyment out of owning / driving it. Am I catastrophizing the situation? I know who I'll be voting for, but it is all left wing liberals around here where I live. I need to visit other parts of the country where maybe I wouldn't feel so alone.
Not alone sir...feels like it in California though. Nightmare situation is if Biden wins and gets control of BOTH houses of Congress. Last time that happened we got Obama care. Otherwise, divided Congress with a Biden Presidency would be some salvation. Writing on the wall is bye-bye internal combustion engine IMHO.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Nah can’t see it and nothing would happen very quickly. Everyone forgets the ICE Age pays all the motor fuel taxes which is Billions of dollars tax money to run the Government. It’s smoke and mirrors policies and greenies smoking to much Green Stuff. And for sure the bigger push for a cleaner agenda will happen but way too much OIL money still in this country and the world. So enjoy and I would not get wrapped up on knowing the future cause if we knew the future we would all have started Masks business 1 year ago and Sanitizer business. :geek:

SunnyS

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Siesta Key
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat
Electric is no way close to being the normal. Just does not have the distance and the charge time is just crazy. It would take two weeks to go from LA to New York. Infrastructure for charging is no way close to working.Let the Dems try it will be the end to that screwed up bunch

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
While I'm close to 70 now, I finally have what I consider to be the ultimate new Mopar. It's all I will ever need in a late model muscle car. However, is anyone else concerned with where Biden / Harris would try to take things if they get in the office?
For what its worth, I don't see any push in that area. I don't think they need to do anything like that or particularly desire to. The electrics are going to take over soon enough.

Tape

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye
We will all be dead by the time it gets "real bad"

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
For what its worth, I don't see any push in that area. I don't think they need to do anything like that or particularly desire to. The electrics are going to take over soon enough.
Electrics will not take over until they find a way to get more rare earth elements. If everyone today traded in there ICE for electrics there would not be enough resources to build them all. People don't seem to understand this. Electric cars will cause more devastation to our planet and our environment then the ICE have. Mark my words just wait and see.

If you want to become rich put your money in cobalt, neodymium, lithium and copper.

EDIT-
Coincidence ?????
China. Unsurprisingly, China has the highest reserves of rare earth minerals at 44 million MT. The country was also the world's leading rare earths producer in 2018 by a long shot, putting out 120,000 MT.

Also Congo has the most cobalt reserves guess who struck a deal for the cobalt and copper in the DRC???? CHINA!!!

The Chinese Power Grab in the DRC
https://www.gbreports.com/article/the-chinese-power-grab-in-the-drc

Why China Is Dominating Lithium-Ion Battery Production
https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapie...-lithium-ion-battery-production/#706597df3786

Last edited:

Tannehill

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
New castle
State
DE
Country
United States
I disagree. The technology and manufacturing is there; however, the logistics and infrastructure is not. Right now there are considerable issues with Tesla drivers stopping to charge on long hauls and showing up and having to wait for supercharger stations.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
In California there is definitely a policy bias towards electric. Whether technology is there to meet their legislative time lines, I don't think so.

So your telling me when I leave California there is some hope?

Last edited:

Tape

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye
I disagree. The technology and manufacturing is there; however, the logistics and infrastructure is not. Right now there are considerable issues with Tesla drivers stopping to charge on long hauls and showing up and having to wait for supercharger stations.
I agree, I was in London around December 2019 and their infrastructure is much more advanced then ours, referring to electric car infrastructure.

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
Lol, roadside service vehicles have to carry battery chargers now for those, dead on the road, idiots who can't find a juice bar for their coal burners in time.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Electrics will not take over until they find a way to get more rare earth elements. If everyone today traded in there ICE for electrics there would not be enough resources to build them all. People don't seem to understand this. Electric cars will cause more devastation to our planet and our environment then the ICE have. Mark my words just wait and see.

If you want to become rich put your money in cobalt, neodymium, lithium and copper.

EDIT-
Coincidence ?????
China. Unsurprisingly, China has the highest reserves of rare earth minerals at 44 million MT. The country was also the world's leading rare earths producer in 2018 by a long shot, putting out 120,000 MT.

Also Congo has the most cobalt reserves guess who struck a deal for the cobalt and copper in the DRC???? CHINA!!!

The Chinese Power Grab in the DRC
https://www.gbreports.com/article/the-chinese-power-grab-in-the-drc

Why China Is Dominating Lithium-Ion Battery Production
https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapie...-lithium-ion-battery-production/#706597df3786
Oh, I'm aware of that. But the key here is that everyone won't just suddenly turn in their ICEs, and there are other areas where ICE cannot practically be eliminated. And we're still exploring the planet; I believe resources and extraction / production methods will be developed that will allow this trend to continue.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
That is part of the fundamental shift towards electrics and reinforces my point that the adoption will not be instantaneous, all the infrastructure will need to be built. But that does not mean it won't be (we have to think about the scale we are looking at). People once said locomotives were impractical for the same reason - same happened with initial ICE adoption. "Ha, where will one find fuel for this device? You think there will one day be a shoppe selling [such fuel] on every street corner? Bah!"

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
That is part of the fundamental shift towards electrics and reinforces my point that the adoption will not be instantaneous, all the infrastructure will need to be built. But that does not mean it won't be (we have to think about the scale we are looking at). People once said locomotives were impractical for the same reason - same happened with initial ICE adoption. "Ha, where will one find fuel for this device? You think there will one day be a shoppe selling [such fuel] on every street corner? Bah!"
I agree with the above but I had to add that the main argument to shifting to electric is saving our planet..which is a lie. The amount of mining needed for the resources to build electric cars would destroy our planet. We would need to find a way to capture asteroids for space mining. Or we would need a alternative to lithium ion batteries. IMHO if we want to help our planet we should be focusing on making ICE even more efficient or even researching alternative fuels. I know there was research using water as a alternative. Saltwater when hit by certain frequencies burns at a high temperature. This would obviously not gain traction as saltwater is free so not much money in that endeavor.

Kanzius' concept is simple: expose salt water to 13.56 MHz radio waves and light a match. Hydrogen separates from the water mixture and burns for as long as it's exposed to the frequency.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/a2840/4271398/#:~:text=Kanzius' concept is simple: expose,it's exposed to the frequency.

Last edited:

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Carbon Foot Print is the talk of our ages and is measured by each of us having impact on Mother Earth. The population explosion is more of a threat than anything else. Since as all know each person adds more Carbon Foot Print. Managing the population would be the better game plan. But uh huh yeah I aint the world comes to an end radical person controlling the world. The greenies want Mother Earth to be protected and rightfully so but more humans mean more space being used by uh huh humans. It gets too radical once we all start thinking we know the end but still are trying to figure out where we came from. I think Mother Earth will just in time handle all the mistakes mankind makes over the thousands and thousands of years. She will have her day and it may be NIGHT and no more day.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I have said this over and over and people have attacked me. If you want to save our planet lower the population. There are too many of us there should not be 8 billion humans on earth. 1 or 2 billion is too many. It is almost time for a reset. Either war or virus but we need something to stop us spreading. We are the virus.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
This subject is covered very well in paper written by Garrett Hardin entitled "Lifeboat Ethics". It was written back in the '70's when being earth conscious was coming into it's own. I had to read this and write my own paper on it in one of my college classes. I firmly believe that it should be required reading in high school.

https://www.garretthardinsociety.org/articles/art_lifeboat_ethics_case_against_helping_poor.html

We should address this in our own country with the out of control welfare system. Planning the size of your family based upon the amount of free money you get from Uncle Sugar is not a successful life plan. And those supplying said "free money" should no longer have to contribute to a system with no checks and balances, or we should have a say in how those programs are run, and what the requirements are to take advantage of them. I'd like to see it start with mandatory birth control.
Those programs were never meant to plan a life around, they were to help people who legitimately fell on hard times through no fault of their own.

This is a great analogy.
"He likened the growth and spread of humanity over the surface of the earth to the spread of cancer in the human body, remarking that "cancerous growths demand food; but, as far as I know, they have never been cured by getting it."

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
I have said this over and over and people have attacked me. If you want to save our planet lower the population. There are too many of us there should not be 8 billion humans on earth. 1 or 2 billion is too many. It is almost time for a reset. Either war or virus but we need something to stop us spreading. We are the virus.
Ever read Rainbow Six?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
This is a great analogy.
"He likened the growth and spread of humanity over the surface of the earth to the spread of cancer in the human body, remarking that "cancerous growths demand food; but, as far as I know, they have never been cured by getting it."
Cancer cells are essentially immortal, that's why they're a cancer. As long as they get the nutrients they need, they do not (for the most part) die from eventual breakdowns (commonly known as aging).

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Cancer cells are essentially immortal, that's why they're a cancer. As long as they get the nutrients they need, they do not (for the most part) die from eventual breakdowns (commonly known as aging).
Thank you for that information but you were over thinking this one. It was more about the point that feeding the poor does not stop poverty it produces more of it.