Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Widebody spares and snows - What to do?

Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooklyn
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack Plus
I’ve searched for conversations related to snow shoes for HCs, and for spares, but most conversations are old and either A) don’t address widebody fitment and B) confuse me with mixed messages regarding wheel size requirements. Here’s my dilemma:

Widebodies all have 6 piston pots up front, right? I’ve been told that, because of this, I “need” 20 inch wheels for snow tires, preferably with at least 9” of rim width. Fine.

Butttt… Modern Spare, a reputable company that’s been selling spare tire kits for our cars for a few years now, has said that they’re going to be releasing a spare tire specifically for WBs that won’t require a dual swap if a front tire goes down - and their wheel is only going to be 19 inches.

How’s this possible? And if it is, can’t I buy 19 inch wheels for my snow tires, too? Has anyone used a MS kit on their widebody with good results? Was a dual swap necessary?

Any help would be appreciated, as I plan on investing in both a spare kit and snow tire kit after I take delivery.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Why are you going to drive it in the snow? My Daytona with snow tires all the way around sucked. Wide tires and low to the ground just don't work well. I had a few fox body mustangs I drove in the snow and loved them so I do like rear wheel snow cars but the Daytona wasn't one of them. I have had a winter car for 30+ years and thought I could go with out one. Lasted one winter and I bought Jeep

My front drag wheels are 18" so there are wheels out there that will clear the brakes. I used the stock 20" on the Daytona for my snow tires and had different wheels on it the rest of the time

OP
C
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooklyn
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack Plus
Thread Starter #3
I drive my SP in the snow and it’s just fine. Granted, it’s got 18s with 255s on it, but I’ll fit something similar to the WB in terms of width, even though it may look a little goofy. It’s only for a few months here, so I’d rather be safe than sorry.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I drive my SP in the snow and it’s just fine. Granted, it’s got 18s with 255s on it, but I’ll fit something similar to the WB in terms of width, even though it may look a little goofy. It’s only for a few months here, so I’d rather be safe than sorry.
I get the better safe then sorry, that is why I got a jeep

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country