Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Wide body side skirts

Deano

1000 Posts Club
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Roy
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WBHC
I have mud flaps/rock guards and clear film on the fender flares. With only 3000 miles, the lower front of the rear flares have been peppered from very small rocks?
Have any of you installed side skirts on your wide body and determined if they help protect the flares from damage?
The film installer looked at them, he thinks the damage may be from other vehicles. I'm inclined to think otherwise as there is almost nothing on the front of the front flares or bumper. Any thoughts on that?

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
Yes I had the exact same protection on my 18 when I bought it new then saw what was happening to the grey lower moulding at the bottom of the rear wheel flare. I then purchased ZL1 side skirts and problem solve.. 20190323_160035.jpg

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Getting both of my rear flair covers replaced after two seasons Monday along with my windshield protector. The surface of the wraps are peppered, it is clearly spray from the front tires. The more wide and sticky the tire, and the faster the car has traveled the worse it will be. Lucky the pits are only on the flair surface and not the body panel, but it is protected also. The gray thing on the bottom is simply waisted like sand paper.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
All flares have been covered along with skirts. No damage yet although it’s only been 1500 miles.
BE6CE722-A826-4057-A336-26FBF81715FA.jpeg

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
as previously noted, love that color

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Oh, and on the peppering, a stone released from the tire (deflected by front flap, or not) can hit the pavement off to the side of the car and if it has sufficient rotational energy on the right vector it will jump right back up against the car and can impact the leading flare surface easily. Only a low percentage of stones/debris will have the right angular momentum, but over time and distance that adds up to a large number of strikes.

OP
Deano

Deano

1000 Posts Club
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Roy
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WBHC
Thread Starter #7
Thanks to all who responded.
With your input the decision has been made.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Tbh even if they didnt work as advertised I'd still buy them. I love the look lol. Really compliments the WB theme, makes it look lower too.

OP
Deano

Deano

1000 Posts Club
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Roy
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WBHC
Thread Starter #9
Update: FWIW, I ordered from https://www.vicrez.com/vicrez-custom-side-rocker-panel-splitters?search=custom
They have a standard width skirt. However, I was concerned a skirt for the normal body may not be as effective on a wide body. So, I ordered "custom" with a "straight side" instead of the "modern" as is offered by them as well as the more popular brand.
The price was lower and includes shipping. I got a nice discount coupon as well.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Make sure you show us when done. That wearing abrasive mess on those bottom pieces needs to stop, and I want them replaced. They look like hell.

Guys, will these hold on at about a buck seventy? We get 160-170mph every two minutes if we are on it up at the track. Shit flying off would be a bummer at those speeds, especially for others.

Chevyave

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Allen
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Redeye, 20 Charger Hellcat, 21 DDHC
I had the ZL1 side skirts, splash shields and PPF installed on my Challenger a week after bringing it home. With 1600 miles on the car there is still some road rash present. The WB Charger I have has 3000 miles came with factory splash shields and I added PPF on the lower rockers and there is zero road rash on the side of the car. For some reason the WB Challengers just pelt the sides of the car with rocks no matter how much bubble wrap you install. All this stuff definitely helps and a wise investment, but I am glad I backed out of a deal on a GoManGo and went with white, which is more forgiving.

Last edited:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
I think it has to do with airflow around the Charger. It's cleaner where the rocks make their first impact and you get less coming back up against the side of the car. All it takes is a tiny change in energy to deflect

earthquake.gif

SIXGUN

U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Madeira Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye Widebody
I also planning on getting the ZL1 side skirts (and a long splitter) for my Redeye. I have the Swaim rock guards and Expel, but still get rubber skid marks up the doors and on the rear flares on the track, so only a matter of time before something damaging flies up there. The lower plastic pieces on the rear flares are about 80 grit now!

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
I also planning on getting the ZL1 side skirts (and a long splitter) for my Redeye. I have the Swaim rock guards and Expel, but still get rubber skid marks up the doors and on the rear flares on the track, so only a matter of time before something damaging flies up there. The lower plastic pieces on the rear flares are about 80 grit now!
My plastic pieces started to get shot blasted. 😡 20190607_183246.jpg

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
New wraps on rear flairs yesterday. Good as new after being absolutely hammered. $400 R&R. The windshield replacement cover was not so funny. That R&R was $700! Shit a new Mopar windshield is like $800!
664F49F1-1E59-4DF2-8A19-2403A0BE9A84.jpeg

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Chrome is the deal man. But we've talked that before

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States
@Deano have you put them on yet?

If so, thoughts?

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Oh, and on the peppering, a stone released from the tire (deflected by front flap, or not) can hit the pavement off to the side of the car and if it has sufficient rotational energy on the right vector it will jump right back up against the car and can impact the leading flare surface easily. Only a low percentage of stones/debris will have the right angular momentum, but over time and distance that adds up to a large number of strikes.
wisely chosen words, unfortunately very true for All wide body cars.

OP
Deano

Deano

1000 Posts Club
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Roy
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WBHC
Thread Starter #19
@Deano have you put them on yet?
If so, thoughts?
Not yet, just arrived 3 days ago. Too damn hot in the garage to work the last few days anyway.

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
Deano, hows the quality on the Vicrez skirts? Thinking about a set for my 1320 since the plastic under the doors is gettng chewed up a bit and Ive taken a few hits on the doors.