Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Why no All Wheel Drive SRT/Hellcat Charger...?

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
Componentry exists on the Durango SRT and the TrackHawk. They do an AWD Charger, but not in our trim liking.

"This system is the most technologically advanced all-wheel-drive system."

So...what gives?

Screenshot_20200321-172442.png

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
That cannot handle the HP/Torque produced by the Hellcat motor. Would it be possible to beef it up? Sure. Will Dodge spend that kind of coin for this old architecture? Almost assuredly not. However, they've kept programs blacked out before. It would be an incredible stroke of luck (at least for me) if they were actually looking in to it (in the end, it's just an engineering problem, one that has been solved by other top-marque manufacturers) but I don't think they can make the ROI argument sufficiently to do it.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
And do they put the 200 MPH speedo in the SXT or GT or whatever it is that has the normal ride height AWD system? lol

OP
Purerock105

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
Thread Starter #4
How much different is the AWD systems for the TrackHawk and the Charger? Despite it being an SUV vs a sedan, but they already have an AWD drivetrain handling 707hp.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
How much different is the AWD systems for the TrackHawk and the Charger? Despite it being an SUV vs a sedan, but they already have an AWD drivetrain handling 707hp.
magnified also overlooked the cost factor, if an awd hellcat cost 95k+ and a redeye cost 106k, the sales will get cannibalized by the M5's and E63's. Rate of diminishing returns, pushing a widebody hellcat to 80-85k is already pushing it, they have to attach a 7k power dollars rebate. Imagine how big of a rebate you have to attach to sell a 95k charger.

But I agree with him, it simply cannot handle the power, the charger would probably have to gut out the middle seat to fit the trackhawk tranny in.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Ride height and materials quality is the huge difference. Don't want the Charger to look like an AMC Eagle.

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
Does FCA have AWD components that can handle HC power? Sure. Do those components fit comfortably in a Charger (or Challenger) without floor pan mods? No. And by 'comfortably' I mean within the bounds of FCAs internal clearance/durability/serviceability/etc requirements and DOT regs/crash testing, not what an individual owner/tuner deems to be "it fits", since I've heard someone has cobbled together a V8/8-speed/AWD Charger somewhere (but I've never seen it). That's why the V8 Police Pursuit Charger still uses the old 5-speed with AWD. Floor pan mods would mean expensive new crash testing which they won't do this late in the game with the current platform. Not to mention the increased ride height & sticker price as others have already said. Maybe in the next generation...

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
Ride height and materials quality is the huge difference. Don't want the Charger to look like an AMC Eagle.
I would like to see a Mad max/Fury road model...

Fully equipped with a two speed switch on the shifter that deploys the supercharger!!!

Magnified(king of the memes) here is your cue!

Last edited:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Had this right to hand.... check this out its like half the freaking movie

Mad Max DAMN.gif

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
I can't believe FCA doesn't bankroll a remake!

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Have you seen the ride height of the AWDs?

Now put an even beefier drivetrain and an even larger block.

That makes for a Charger with a Durango ride height...

Not very appealing...